iPhone 4S vibration sounds odd: Defective or just a change?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mossme89, Jan 12, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

Jul 2, 2009
    I just got an iPhone 4S, an upgrade from my iPhone 4. I'm using it and one thing I'm noticing is the vibration is weird. Not sure if it's defective or just different.

Anyway, the quick vibration when plugging into a power source sounds much quieter, to the point of almost being unnoticeable. However, when there's a long vibration for a call or an alarm, the phone makes an audible buzzing sound in addition to the vibration. For the long vibration, the vibration sounds louder but softer than my 4.

So did Apple just change the vibrator, or is something wrong with my phone? I guess my main worry is that this change in vibration could be a signal that the motor is going and I don't want to have that happen.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2006
    Washington State
  3. macrumors 6502

May 25, 2010

The At&t iPhone 4 has a different vibration motor than the iPhone 4S. The 4S should feel less harsh and should be less noisy especially when it vibrates on a solid object like a desk.
  4. mossme89, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013

thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 2, 2009
    Actually, I've found it to be much harsher and louder than my 4.
  5. macrumors 65816

Mar 17, 2010
    The Apple Store
    Common problem with the Verizon 4 and all 4S, the vibrating motor is glued onto the steel frame, in some of these, they will shake loose and rattle against the frame, only way to fix is to exchange
  6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 2, 2009
    Not sure if it would be worth it... And this is an AT&T model. Maybe I'm just not used to it.