Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

154107-iphone_4_sim_slot.jpg
Mac Otakara adds some notes about the upcoming iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 models, according to an anonymous source.
According to an anonymous source, this reported product by DigiTimes is improved model of iPhone 4 on same form factor, and uses ARM Cortex-A9 chip as CPU, but it is not confirmed whether this model has single CPU or with dual CPU's.
Essentially, they confirm what has been hinted at in the past. The new 2011 iPhone ("iPhone 4S") will carry an ARM Cortex-A9 CPU (Apple's A5) though they can't confirm if it's single or dual core. Separately, the iPhone 4S will include an improved 8 mega-pixel camera and 3-4 antennas inside to accommodate the dual modes of AT&T and Verizon.

Separately, Mac Otakara revives an older rumor that the iPhone 4S will be "sim-less". We first heard this rumor back in late 2010, when Apple was said to be working with digital security firm Gemalto to create a custom SIM card that would exist as a built-in chip inside the iPhone to allow users to activate their devices with a broad array of carriers. Orange CEO Stephane Richard essentially confirmed that Apple had explored this "sim-less" option but had also indicated that Apple had decided against using it.
As you probably know, Apple has been working for years on reducing the size of SIM cards because they need space in the phone. They even thought about a device without any SIM card, that is what is known as the e-SIM project.

All of us told them it was a bad idea because the SIM card is a critical piece of the security and authentication process. It would be very difficult for a telco or carrier to manage the customer relationship. I think that they understood this point. We had a very constructive exchange and dialogue with them.
It may be possible that Apple ignored those suggestions or that this "eSIM" could be a stopgap measure while waiting for the newly proposed smaller SIM standard.

Article Link: iPhone 4S with A5, Sim-less? "Major New" iPhone 5 Due in 2012

BLACKFRIDAY

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
That's false.

Apple is closing its iPhone section of electronics with the immense competition from Samsung as noted in the previous thread.

Also, now that Samsung has demanded the iPhone 5 and the next iPad, Samsung is going to be the one releasing the next iPhone.

:cool:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Again with this non-sense about iPhone 4S vs iPhone 5. The iPhone 3GS was named so because it was the same generation as the iPhone 3G, it's because the iPhone 3G didn't fit in the generations.

They aren't going to call the 6th generation iPhone, the iPhone 5.

asdf542

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Naming scheme fail? There will be no iPhone 5 if there is an iPhone 4S.

iPhone = 1st
iPhone 3G = 2nd
iPhone 3GS = 3rd
iPhone 4 = 4th (Notice how this isn't the iPhone 3)
iPhone 5/4S = 5th
iPhone 6/4G = 6th

Also let's see how many thumbs down I can get for fun.

Last edited:

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I like the current upgrade plan Apple has; it's fitting well with my contract. Each time my contract is up, there's a big revision to the iPhone line, while in the middle of my contract there have been "speed bumps." Keep it up, Apple! :D

LegendKillerUK

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
The amount of ******** in these rumours is incredible. It will be a spec update sporting the same case design as the 4. It may be unified for both GSM and CDMA but then again the iPad 2 wasn't.

The idea of a non user replaceable sim is also laughable at this moment in time.

All this will do is disappoint when it is unveiled.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
eSIM being a stop gap before the smaller sim?

Really?

If you make a phone that doesn't need a sim card why would you update it with one that does.

because the carriers don't like it?

arn

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
The amount of ******** in these rumours is incredible. It will be a spec update sporting the same case design as the 4. It may be unified for both GSM and CDMA but then again the iPad 2 wasn't.

All this will do is disappoint when it is unveiled.

I was thrilled when they announced the 3GS, it was a major upgrade from the 3G. Moreso than the iPhone 4 was for the 3GS. Now that was a "meh" update. Just changing the outside look and mostly keeping the same internals.

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Been waiting for this to happen... now what phone card to put in during vacation to Italy?

BLACKFRIDAY

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
3... 2... 1...

and here we go with a new name calling competition.

I am sure its going to be called: iGalaxyPhone.

:cool:

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Naming scheme fail? There will be no iPhone 5 if there is an iPhone 4S.

iPhone = 1st
iPhone 3G = 2nd
iPhone 3GS = 3rd
iPhone 4 = 4th (Notice how this isn't the iPhone 3)
iPhone 4S = 5th
iPhone 6 = 6th

Why wouldn't the 6th iPhone be called iPhone 4G if it has 4G technology?

asdf542

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Why wouldn't the 6th iPhone be called iPhone 4G if it has 4G technology?

They can call it whatever they want, I simply put it in there as a placeholder to show that 5 would not be the number they would put after it should they decide to go with that option over 4G.

LegendKillerUK

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
I was thrilled when they announced the 3GS, it was a major upgrade from the 3G. Moreso than the iPhone 4 was for the 3GS. Now that was a "meh" update. Just changing the outside look and mostly keeping the same internals.

I have a 3G and was unimpressed with the 3GS. Something faster isn't going to impress me. A speed gain is the baseline of what to expect, that alone won't sell me a phone.

maviso5

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2009
Kent
really not bothered unless there is something amazing about the next gen, the iPhone 4 is good enough for me at the moment, time will tell though

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Built in SIM? ... oh hell no. Don't remove one of the advantages of having a GSM phone.
I'll take the dual A5 and 8mp camera though. Coming from a 3GS, I'll be fine.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I like the current upgrade plan Apple has; it's fitting well with my contract. Each time my contract is up, there's a big revision to the iPhone line, while in the middle of my contract there have been "speed bumps." Keep it up, Apple! :D

Agreed. Carriers in Canada make you wait two years to upgrade. Works for me!

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Don't click the link to the original article unless you are fluent in Japanese. Google translate just chokes, its really funny.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
looks like i started my iphone cycle just at the right time, i got the 3G not caring about the 3GS i got the 4 won't be caring about the "4S". looks like i'll be always up for the redesign refresh :) couldnt be happier and less jealous about it lol

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

The Retina display is what made the iPhone 4, IMO. CPU upgrades alone don't interest me. Then again, I never used an iPhone 3G, so I have no idea what kind of a speed boost the 3GS was.

If apple does go sim-less, it would be for aesthetic/technical reasons, allowing them to get rid of the slot and make the phone smaller. I hope they don't, though, as that would kill its international functionality.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.