iPhone 4s won't recognize its fully charged

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by exileskimer, Oct 14, 2011.

1. macrumors member

My iPhone 4s will get to 100% when charging but will still show the charging icon and never switches to the fully charged button.

2. thread starter macrumors member

bump.. anyone else see this?

3. macrumors 68030

FreakinEurekan

What is a "Fully charged button"? My iPhone 4 just gets to 100% and stays there... not sure what you're looking for.

4. macrumors regular

I believe it turns green when its fully charged...

5. macrumors 68030

FreakinEurekan

Never noticed. Just plugged in so I'll know in an hour - or more likely in the morning.

6. macrumors newbie

Probably the charger gets disabled automatically when it hit 100%. I didn't stare at mine when charging but when I removed the charger few hours later the power reads 98%

7. macrumors 68030

FreakinEurekan

Appears to be normal, my iPhone 4 does the same. Maybe if you don't have % display on it behaves differently??

8. thread starter macrumors member

No when it's fully charged you see a little batter plug looking icon on the battery

When it's charging you see a little lightening bolt on the battery.

I restored it and it was fixed, but then the issue came back

Anyone else?

9. macrumors regular

man some people freak over the tiniest things!

10. macrumors 603

troop231

I plugged in my phone last night before bed, and when I woke up it said it was plugged in and 96% this is not good :(

11. macrumors 6502a

I know what you mean, the lightning bolt stays on instead of changing to a plug icon even though it is at 100%, I had the same today on it's first cycle.

12. thread starter macrumors member

Alright well at least I'm not the only one

13. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I hear what the OP is saying. I had mine charging overnight and for some reason 99% and the battery was green w/o the lightning bolt. Down to 52% as I'm letting it run itself down for the first time...

14. macrumors 601

HiRez

I would completely drain the battery (play a whole season of a tv show over Netflix or something), where it shuts itself down, then do a full recharge and see what happens. Sometimes the battery needs a reset cycle, especially new batteries.

FWIW, my 4S drains about 3% overnight when idle but not plugged in. If yours is draining significantly more than that, something is wrong, and it certainly should never be less than 100% when plugged in (once full).

15. macrumors regular

My 4S is showing the proper icon for full charge but is also dropping % by morning while plugged in. I plugged it in at 11pm last night, the phone was at 13%. 2AM when I got up to use the bathroom it was at 100% with the full icon. 6AM when I woke up it was still sitting with the full icon but at 97%. Is this normal?

16. macrumors regular

I was just going to post about this odd charging behavior. I look at my phone after a full charge when still plugged in. Says 100%. Unplug and it immediately drops to 98%. If I plug it back in for a few minutes and charge it back to 100% and unplug it again my iPhone will stay at 100% for quite awhile. Such as several hours. If I don't plug it back in for a few minutes it drops faster. Strange

17. zyther, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

macrumors newbie

This is how mine looks, appears normal?
    Plugged in Via USB

[​IMG]

Go into Settings, the icon only appears green in there, not on the lock screen :)
    [​IMG]

18. macrumors 65816

Kadman

When it's at 100% and fully charged, that little lightning bolt on top of the battery icon should change to what looks like a wall plug on top of the battery. Mine does this just fine and doesn't stay a lightning bolt forever. Not sure if the change to a plug icon happens right as it reaches 100% or if it charges "through" 100% and then switches the icon. I've never watched it as it crossed into 100% range. If yours stays with the lightning bolt after hours of being at 100%, it may be a bug with the OS that it's not changing the icon. Not sure.

19. macrumors newbie

Post a pic of your lock screen when it does change :)

Mine stays as a lightning bolt.

----------

Looks like mine changed

[​IMG]

20. macrumors member

Mine did the same thing, and when I pulled it from the charger the phone was very warm.

I'm not too concerned about it, I'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens.

21. macrumors member

I'm having exactly the same problem!! Are you going to try and exchange at all?

22. macrumors regular

7timethecrystal

For what it's worth, I am having a battery issue with mine, and the charging indicator is doing the same thing. It takes forever to go from 99-100%, and when it gets to 100%, it stays as a lightning bolt. I've calibrated the battery twice. I'm losing 7%/hr on standby.

My wife's iPhone 4S isn't having a battery issue, and her charging icon is behaving normally (when it reaches 100%, it gives the plug in the icon). She's losing 0.5%/hr on standby.

23. macrumors member

I have a similar issue with my 4S. After being plugged in overnight it shows the plug icon on the battery but reads 96% charged. Worse, it just dropped to 95% charged, still plugged in and with the plug icon on the battery!

I've had every iPhone iteration so far and this the first time I've seen strange battery behavior like this.

Oh, and my 4S sucks down battery life incredibly quickly.

24. macrumors regular

if you turn your phone off and then back on while plugged in, itll give you the fully charged icon.

Might be a software hiccup

25. macrumors 604

ZBoater

This is what it's supposed to look like.

[​IMG]