iphone 4s won't turn on

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marcmarcdv45, Oct 24, 2011.

1. macrumors member

my iPhone just turn off an now won't turn back on? wat do i do? it has an fully charge battery

2. macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Do you mean it's not starting up when you maintain both home and power buttons pressed down together?

3. marcmarcdv45, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

thread starter macrumors member

it won't started up... the fone is really really warm.. its been warm for over 4 hrs now....

4. c3m
    macrumors member

5. macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

6. thread starter macrumors member

how? is there something wrong with it?

----------

nothing happened.....

7. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It is warm because of a physical fault, or more likely a software issue which we see a bit since iOS5.

Plug it into the wall charger and leave it 30minutes. When the battery is VERY flat you don't see anything on the screen for a while. Give it a while

8. macrumors 6502

After this press and hold the home and power buttons for 10 seconds - no less

9. macrumors 6502a

Agreed, sorry I was on the iPhone at the time, using Siri - I'm suprised it got that close to what I said lol. A hard reset may (probably will) be needed after the battery goes flat.

10. macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Anything happen before this happened. Was it dropped or were you putting in new software? Tell us about your phone.

Getting warm could be the CPU or there can be a hardware problem. If you can't get it restarted you got to get it replaced.

11. thread starter macrumors member

dne nothing to it.. its only one week old

12. macrumors 65816

Mine shut off unexpectedly yesterday as well. Did the 10 second home and sleep button hold and it rebooted. No problems before or since. Wonder if it's a data bug that caused something. Odd.

13. thread starter macrumors member

was your phone very very warm too?

14. macrumors newbie

Mine Turned Off for No Apparent Reason

Went to use my iPhone 4S that is only 1 1/2 weeks old and it had shut itself off. I was able to restart it by holding down the two buttons at the same time. It bothers me that for no apparent reason, it shut itself off. The phone was not hot and it still had a little over 50% battery. My husband is in Afghanistan and if I miss his call because my phone shut itself off, I cannot even call him back. If this continues, I will be taking it back as a phone is no good if you cannot rely on it being on when you have it turned on.

15. macrumors newbie

Same thing happen to me a moment ago. Hard resent worked though.

16. macrumors 65816

FTR, mine has not done the auto shutdown thing again since the one time 6 weeks ago. So, once in 7 weeks.

17. macrumors newbie

I Also Had the same problem.

My phone had at least 50+ battery. I but it back in its case / pocket and came back to it around 2-3 hours later and it had turned its self off and would not restart.

I pressed the Lock screen + Home button for 10 secs like suggested and its not turned it self on with around 20 / 25% Battery. Weird.

18. macrumors newbie

iPHone 4S issues

I'm afraid I have to add my 2-bit. All of a sudden my iPhone 4S just wouldn't turn on. It wasn't hot though and I'd been charging it for at least 2 hours.

Thank you for your tips though as I held down the start and home buttons and it seemed to have worked. I'd quite like to know what that is all about and hope it doesn't happen again.

19. macrumors demi-god

thatoneguy82

For the newer posters, did your battery drain? Plug it in to a charge and as soon as it can, check the usage to see the usage and standby times. Odds are they're similar or usage will be a lot closer to standby than you think.

20. macrumors newbie

Me too!

This happened to me today. I have only had my phone for about a month. It had about 50% charge left on the battery. I hadn't used it for an hour or so and went back to it and it wouldn't turn on. I figured out how to get it back on by reading the post. Hopefully this was just a fluke and will not continue. It makes me very nervous though since my phone is so new!

21. macrumors newbie

Same problem

My iPhone 4S is less than a week old. Left it for about an hour, went to use it, it had turned itself off and it wouldn't turn back on. Battery was at 66%. Only found out how to get it going again by reading all the above. (thanks for that everyone).

Now a bit concerned that it turned off it the first place and so many others have had exactly the same problem :(

22. macrumors newbie

iPhone 4G won't turn on

I have had my iPhone 4G for over a year and today it shut down and would not turn back on. I did the iOS update a few weeks ago. I was researching the issue when I found this post and thought I would try the suggestion of pressing the home and on/off buttons for 10 seconds and it worked. My battery was down to 29%. Glad it worked. Thanks everyone, even though I have the 4G. I am looking forward to getting a 4S in the near future.

23. macrumors newbie

Just happened to me too

I've had my 64GB iPhone 4s since October and not had any problem. A few minutes ago I noticed that it wouldn't turn on. After a search I found this forum and found the advice to do the reboot with power + home. It worked.

The problem wasn't battery. That was the first thing I thought of so I plugged it into the charger. After about 15 minutes I tried the reboot and it worked. Battery level was reading 96% and there is no way it could have charged that high from flat.

I've stayed with the original 5.0 OS. Just prior to the phone turning itself off I had used Siri to set a 17 minute timer. I realized later that I never heard the alarm sound. Fortunately what I was timing wasn't time critical.

Thanks to everyone for their comments prior to this. They certainly saved me a lot of time and stress - particularly considering that my beloved cat died during the night :-(

I wonder if, like the early Siri problem that Apple never admitted to, there is a problem with the 4s in this regard? There seem to be too many people having this problem to consider it an isolated incident.

24. macrumors regular

Have you tried the power button? It's near the top of the phone.

25. atalbert, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

macrumors newbie

The power button?

Gee, I thought you were dead! No defending Apple from beyond the grave! :D

The power button? Now why would ANYONE think of trying that -- particularly after having the phone for over two months?

I assume you meant the comment in jest. :)

But in case you were serious, of course I did - wondering if the phone had been turned off by accident. No dice. Nothing other than the reset worked.