iPhone 5 antenna strength weaker than 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ammo, Nov 15, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Jun 20, 2009
    Has anyone tested their iPhone 5's cellular antenna strength compared to the 4S? My 4S was rock solid inside my parents' house despite being limited to 1 to 2 bars, while my 5 either has 1 bar or No Service. Also, I can't connect to the Wi-Fi in their house when I'm in another level of the house with my 5, while I could with my 4S.

I've also noticed bouts of "No Service" or lower service inside buildings with my 5 that were non-issues with my 4S, so I know it's not a carrier issue.

Anyone else experience this or is this a design flaw in my iPhone 5?
  2. macrumors 68020

Nov 2, 2008
    My antenna is almost exactly the same as my 4 and 4S (at least in locations where I have checked).
  3. macrumors 65816

Jul 27, 2012
    Hollywood, CA
    Most people with a 5 are going to come in here and say...

"My signal strength on my 5 is better than my 4S"

If it's really bad, I would take it in.
  4. macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    At my house, my iPhone 5 shows 1-2 bars, where my iPhone 4s showed 4-5 bars.

But my iPhone 5 is showing me the signal of Verizon's LTE network, whereas my iPhone 4s was showing me Verizon's non-LTE network, which is much more robust.
  5. thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 20, 2009
    I'll lose LTE in certain buildings and sometimes I'll lose data completely, which doesn't make sense because AT&T's LTE network in this market runs on a lower frequency for better building coverage than the HSPA network.
  6. macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    Verizon's LTE network also runs on a lower frequency where I live, but they haven't put LTE antennas on all of their cell sites here yet.

My house is very close to a Verizon non-LTE tower, but the closest Verizon tower with LTE is a few miles further away. :(
  7. macrumors 6502

Feb 8, 2006
    Rockford, IL
    This is definitely something I've noticed. Now, typically I get 2 bars LTE in my office, which is fine. But should it switch over to 3G, I will still only have 2 bars and it is dreadful. I always had full 3G service on my 4 from my office. With wifi, it's pretty much the same. I've got a 3 story house with my router on the middle level. My iPhone 5 only gets full bars on wifi if I'm on the middle level, or near either set of stairs. With my iPhone 4, I could even be outside and still get full wifi. Fortunately, LTE is blazing fast and I have UDP so I don't so much care about wifi anymore.