Resolved iPhone 5 Back Camera Can't Focus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleAlfred, Nov 23, 2012.

1. AppleAlfred, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012

macrumors member

Hi Guys,

So, I just received an iPhone 5 and it appears to have an issue with the back camera. I focuses if you hold it less than a foot away from an object, but any farther and it just can't focus.

It basically just appears blurry, and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to fix it. The front facing camera works fine. Also, if you shake the phone I think something rattles ever so slightly in the general area of the camera. Is it possible that it is just defective? And if so is Apple likely to just replace it? Finally, if Apple does offer to replace it would I be stuck waiting forever for a new one since orders are pretty backed up?

Thanks in Advance!

Alfred

2. macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

You got one with a macro lens built in :D

In all seriousness, take it in. They'll kiss your ass then replace it.

3. macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

They will give you a refurbished model my friend. My previous iPhone had the same issue (in addition to piss poor battery stats).

4. thread starter macrumors member

Alright, thanks a lot for the reassurance guys! I was so pissed when it started happening but I just called apple and they reassured me they would replace it :D

On a side note, can we all agree apple has BY FAR the best customer service, like that alone is worth any alleged price premiums!

5. macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Yep! Hahahaha. I asked for a box on Thursday at 18 and it got here Friday at 13.

6. macrumors member

Realistiic

I dropped my iPhone 5 outside onto the hard pavement. I made an appointment and they swapped mine for a refurb, they didn't even ask any questions. Brill!:D

7. macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 camera wont focus

I'm having the same problem as that guy, except my iPhone 5 camera wont focus at all. I'm also hearing something rattling in the same area of the camera. i have had this iPhone for about one month, never dropped it, or slammed it against something. i tried cleaning the back camera, trying different distances focusing, tapping the screen, reseting the iphone settings and still nothing works. help!

8. macrumors 604

Newtons Apple

9. macrumors newbie

Ok... People on forums get mad when someone starts a new thread about things that have already been asked, then this guy does what everybody says you "should" do and searches and finds someone who had the same issue and brings back up an old thread and you get mad about that... WTF.

----------

Best bet would be to call apple and see about a replacement camera or replacement device. My camera on my iphone 5 acted up once too but it eventually went back to working. Then Apple had the recall on the lock button so I sent my phone off to them to have it fixed and when I got it back not only did they fix the lock button but also replaced my battery and the camera (this is what the parts sheet they sent back with it said anyway), so if your lock button is failing maybe you could try sending it back and maybe they will do the same for you!

10. macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

If you're under warranty, take it in.

11. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member