"iPhone 5" Back Cover Hands-On Video

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 6, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cydiablog points to a new hands on video with the same "iPhone 5" parts that have been circulating. The new video was posted by part supply company eTradeSupply.

The new video is not especially more revealing, but does show the backplate in a number of different angles. The narrator also compares it directly to the iPhone 4, showing the relative size. Other features noted:

- Smaller dock port
    - Bottom headphone jack
    - SIM card slot smaller
    - iPhone 5 is thinner than iPhone 4S (though no screen on the iPhone 5)

Article Link: "iPhone 5" Back Cover Hands-On Video

2. Vip
    macrumors regular

Vip

Seems very plausible, considering all the other rumors...

3. macrumors member

I still can't decide if I like the headphone jack on the bottom.

It might be easier in terms of pulling your phone out of your pocket to look at the screen, but i'm just so used to having it on the top of the device.

4. macrumors regular

Makes sense. After the unibody Macs, the unibody iPhone. :cool:

5. macrumors 68000

angemon89

It actually looks nicer than in the pictures.

6. macrumors regular

This doesn't seem real because the back has this two tone matt/shinny finish which I cannot imagine apple doing. Also they got rid of the 30 pin dock port which might happen but see how they have been using the same port for so many generations, I find it highly unlikely they'll change it.

7. macrumors member

I just don't like it. I'm not saying that is ugly. It's not. But the 4 looks so much better.

Just saying...

8. macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

The engineering, size etc all seems very plausible, but what gives with that two-tone back - glass/plastic and aluminum?

This is something I couldn't figure out on the earlier videos - it looks quite naff and 'unApple'. That's not to accuse it of being a fake video, just that the design is quite jarring, and not what we'd typically expect.

It is similar to the iMac and iPad in the dual use of material, but the the actual glass top and tail....

9. macrumors regular

Hmm, I'll admit it does look a lot better in that video than it did in those mock ups we saw ages ago, and it's starting to grow on me a bit. But it still looks a bit odd? That said, all these consistent leaks do make one wonder. :p

10. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Looks better than in the pics. And a gun metal looking rim? Me Gusta. Still have my salt shaker nearby though.

11. macrumors 6502

Liking the refinements so far. I can't quite tell if there is a slight bevel or not on the edges. Hopefully there is. The sharp angles o. The 4/4S make the iPhone a bit uncomfortable to hold without a case.

With the new iPhone looking even better I really don't want to put a case on it.

12. macrumors 65816

Caliber26

I know I'm probably judging too soon, and I know I'll be the first to preorder it, BUT that backside is really putting me thru it! It looks like a detachable plastic back, found on most Androids.

13. macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

If the new iPhone is this far along in production, what does everyone think of a sooner than October launch?

14. macrumors regular

The top of that looks really nice... If it really is just a slightly bigger 4 with all the seams gone, then I think I'm sold.

15. macrumors 6502

with all these product leaks, i think this year's WWDC is going to be huge!

16. macrumors 6502a

Stang68

17. macrumors regular

ajcadoo

I have a feeling the iPhone 5 makes it's debut as the first "One more thing..." at WWDC after Steve's passing.

Fingers crossed!

18. macrumors 68000

angemon89

I remember how everyone hated the iPhone 4 design when it first leaked. This could actually be the new iPhone, and it'll start to "grow on people." I can see it now....

19. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

...and unibody iPod touch.

20. macrumors 6502a

staccato83

I wish they would have kept the headphone jack on the top and make the speaker/mic holes symmetrical on the bottom. Not really sure how I feel about the two tone back or the change in power connector.

21. macrumors 68030

True... but the iPod Touch and the previous generation Nano were like that.

If this is true... I wonder if they will explain why they moved it. Maybe they need all that room at the top for a larger LTE antenna?

22. macrumors 6502a

Just a wild guess! Just like the ps vita, the two tone may reflect a multi touch back pad! :)

23. macrumors regular

if this is true the abrupt black-dark grey-black style is not aesthetically pleasing

24. macrumors regular

As i told in another thread. I'm pretty sure these backplates are a controlled leak. This surely is one of those old prototype 'next-gen' iPhones in an old body in order to disguise the real iPhone. It's already a known fact Apple made/makes a lot of different designs (new parts in old bodies, other way around) just to confuse people. What's with all the sudden prototype iPhones floating around? You think Apple would just let the real iPhone leaked out there?

25. macrumors 6502a

Ugh, the two-tone appearance is tacky. Just make it all aluminum - geeze.