iPhone 5 Backlight Dimming

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Erock2, Nov 6, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Jun 3, 2012
    Is anyone having problems with their iPhone 5 dimming all the down randomly? It's usually when I wake the phone that it does this, I have auto brightness turned off and brightness at 100% but randomly it'll go down to 0%. I'm wondering if it's software related (Which is my first guess) or hardware related.
  2. macrumors regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Between heaven and hell
    I noticed that too! I was in the car this morning when suddenly the screen became so dim that I couldn't see anything. I then checked my settings and noticed that brightness had been turned to the minimum. I think it happened a few times while I was walking outside too.

Oh, you had auto brightness turned off. I had it turned on. But even if the auto-brightness is turned on, the screen shouldn't go dim suddenly. It's not like I suddenly walked into a pitch black closet.
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Jun 3, 2012
    Should have clarified a little more, the brightness bar was still at 100% ! I just tap the back and the light will come back on and it'll be good then later it'll do it again, it's starting to get really frustrating.
  4. macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2009
    Do you mean the back light dims after sitting for a little with the screen on? If so, that's completely normal.
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Jun 3, 2012
    No, like when I wake the phone (Pushing the top button) it'll sometimes dim to lowest brightness.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2009
    S.F./Las Vegas
    I wonder if the OP is referring to the Auto Lock setting in the General settings?
  7. thread starter macrumors member

Jun 3, 2012
    Noooo, let's say i'm not using my phone for 10 minutes it's locked and the screen is completely dark. I go to wake the phone and turn the screen on and sometimes it'll blink and the brightness will dim to 0% I always have it at 100%, if I go to the brightness settings, It still shows i'm at 100% but my actual brightness is 0% I have to actually tap the brightness bar for my brightness to come back to "normal"

To clarify, I work for a Verizon Premium Retailer, I have had many different iPhones/Android Phones/Windows Phones/Blackberries I am not a novice to phones.
  8. macrumors 68020

Oct 25, 2009
    I know what you're talking about. Usually a quick power off/on fixes this.
  9. macrumors 68000

Jul 13, 2007
    That happens to me too I just adjust the brightness and the backlight comes back on
  10. macrumors regular

Jun 24, 2010
    Southeast Michigan
    Hope it's not a glitch in the new software update, just happened to me today for the first time. Anyone else?

11. macrumors member

Jun 6, 2012
    Same thing happened to me yesterday. It all started when i used siri.
  12. macrumors regular

Mar 7, 2008
    I had something like this happen to me. Picked up my phone and pressed power button to "wake" it up and no unlock bar came up, nor the time. The screen dimmed and it was unresponsive after that. I had to restart the phone.
  13. macrumors newbie

Nov 6, 2012
    I just adjust the brightness and the backlight comes back on[​IMG]
  14. macrumors regular

Sep 29, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I've also experience this with my 4s, It's a bug in iOS 6.
    And pretty annoying.
  15. macrumors member

Nov 6, 2012
    Same thing with my ipad 3 running on IOS 6.0.1
  16. macrumors 6502

Mar 19, 2009
    Upstate NY
  17. macrumors 68020

Nov 15, 2011
    This has happened to me a handful of times.

I wake the phone using either the home or sleep/wake button and it comes on and is really really dim. I think it dims after I swipe to unlock but I don't remember. Either way, I simply put it back to sleep using the sleep/wake and then waking it back up and it's fine. Doesn't bother me, don't care.
  18. macrumors 68000

Mar 8, 2012
    Mobile, AL
    Happened on my iPad and iPhone 5. I'm pretty sure it's a glitch with iOS 6.
  19. macrumors 6502

Jul 19, 2012
    When this happens to me and I press the home button (if I am in an app) it doesn't exit the app. It just makes the screen brighter again. Then I have to press the home button again to take me to the home screen. Is this normal?
  20. macrumors 6502a

Nov 10, 2011
    I have experienced this as well. I hope that it is just a bug.
  21. macrumors member

Sep 21, 2012
  22. macrumors 68000

Aug 15, 2011
    I have this issue as well where the backlight will dim all of a sudden. The only way to bring it back to normal is a quick on/off button press.
  23. macrumors newbie

Jan 7, 2013
    Yes yes yes. This has happened at least 3 times so far but I can be sure how it happened but it DEFINATETELY was not a normal feature.

What u doing about it??
  24. macrumors 6502a

May 12, 2010
    I noticed this same phenomenon this weekend. Turned the screen on and it was very dim. Went into the brightness setting and it was still set at 40% which is where I keep my setting and Auto-brightness was off. I touched the slider and it instantly went back to my setting and exited the settings. This is not the first time I've noticed this happen.
  25. macrumors 68040

Aug 8, 2008
    This happened to me recently as well. Must be a software glitch.