iphone 5 black/white scratches? Otterbox Commuter Good?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duhyes, Dec 12, 2012.

1. duhyes macrumors member

Dec 12, 2012
    So I wanted the black until i heard when u buy the iphone 5 some of the phones when u buy it and u got out of the box are chipped, ?? are all the phones like that and can you return it for free to get another black iphone 5 and another one if that second black is still chipped.

Does the otterbox commuter series scratch the iphone 5 and is the screen protector that u get with the otterbox good ?

cause i keep switching sides from black to white....
    i like black better cause of the color but i want to get white becuase i heard black gets chipped when u buy out of the box
  2. lookn4wifi macrumors regular

Sep 18, 2012
    I've had a scratch free / chip free black iP5 since launch day (it currently remains this way). The case I have used the most is the OB Commuter. The case has not caused any damage to the phone's finish.

I haven't used the screen shield that shipped with the OB. I've used a Zagg HD and currently use a Spigen SGP screen shield that shipped with a Spigen Neo Hybrid EX Slim.
  3. duhyes thread starter macrumors member

Dec 12, 2012
    so u used the OB commuter with a zagg HD?(will it cause any problems)
    is the OB screen protector any good at all?(will it scratch/scuff my screen?)
  4. josh995 macrumors member

Dec 2, 2012
    I'm not sure about the commuter, but I used a defender on my iPhone 4 with no problems, and I'm currently using a defender on my iPhone 5 and it hasn't scratched it.
  5. duhyes thread starter macrumors member

Dec 12, 2012
    is the screen protector good?(the one that comes with the commuter)
  6. iphoneguy12345 macrumors newbie

Apr 10, 2014
    I have an iPhone 5/5s with the otterbox commuter and the hole for the apple logo scratched the aluminium back im the shape of a circle the size of the hole in the plastic shell:(
    I brought it back to my local apple retailer but they woudnt exchange it because it wasnt a hardware problem or some other bulls--t.