iPhone 5 bought in the US - Warranty in the UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by avirambn, May 15, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I bought a new AT&T iPhone 5 (32 GB) in October from an Amazon seller, and bought AppleCare myself in an Apple Store in New York. I also purchased an unlock from unlockfusion back then.

During the last month, the sleep-wake button has become unresponsive, and it only functions if I click on the left side of the button. I currently reside in Israel and I'm about to fly to the UK in 2 weeks, and I wanted to take my iPhone to an Apple Store in London and ask for a new phone. My questions are:

1. Is it reasonable to ask/receive a new iPhone in that case? The phone is in great condition.
    2. Will I get an unlocked iPhone when I exchange it?
    3. I'm afraid that the new iPhone will require a new activation when they replace it, and that it will ask for the original seller's SSN. Does anyone know if it will ask me that or require an activation of some sort?

Thanks a lot.

2. macrumors 65816

if you get an UK version when you return back to the US it will not work on LTE

3. macrumors 68030

US Phones cannot be swapped in the UK stores. They may be able to replace the button, but they can't swap them over here.

If you need a new phone, you'll have to call AppleCare and have it done over the phone (which may involve shipping it to the states).

The iPhone warranty is the one Apple warranty that isn't worldwide.

4. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

yea i believe its been asked a bunch of times, they wont cross honor replacing the phones overseas, as they dont always have that exact model number on hand to replace it with. as stated, they may attempt to fix it for you, but they wont replace it.

5. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

What I have heard stated here numerous times is that the overseas stores are generally willing to have Apple US ship them the replacement phone and then ship your defective phone over, at no cost to you. What has been unclear to me, since it wasn't specifically mentioned, or I missed it, is whether you need to surrender your phone before or after this process can get started.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone!

7. macrumors regular

If you go into an Authorised Service Centre, they can order a replacement for you, and Apple will ship it to them, and once they've tested it, they'll swap it for you.

We've done it before for visiting iOS device owners.

Not sure about an Apple Store though.