Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikegabriel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
Got my new (3rd) iPhone 5 from Apple in the mail yesterday (camera sensor issues on the last 2) and while restoring my iCloud Backup the phone started saying "Charging is not supported with this accessory.". That would make sense if I wasn't currently plugged in with a Lightning Cable to my iMac.

So I tried a different USB port on my iMac, same error.
Tried both USB on my MacBook Air, same error.
Took it out to my car and tried the USB port on my headunit with a different Lightning cable, same error.
Went back inside and grabbed my 3rd Lightning Cable, plugged into an iPhone Power Brick, same error.
Tried with a 2nd and 3rd brick, same error.
Tried with an iPad Power Brick, same error.

So, when the restore was done, I rebooted. No change. Settings > General > Reset > Reset Settings, no change.

Anything I am missing?

mikegabriel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
Sorry, my bad, I missed that.

Try wiping your phone to factory settings and try then. Maybe it's one of your apps causing the conflict of some sort?

Just a thought.

No problem.

That's my plan for tonight, see if I can replicate it on a fresh wipe. Other than that, I don't think I am missing any other steps so if a factory reset doesn't do it, I guess it'll be onto iPhone 5 #4.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Your backup could be corrupted. DFU restore as new. Use USB wall charger, see if that gives error. Are the cables OEM?

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Your backup could be corrupted. DFU restore as new. Use USB wall charger, see if that gives error. Are the cables OEM?

Yeah the only time i've gotten that error is when i tried to use an OEM cable.

But seems like the OP was pretty thorough.

mikegabriel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
Backup was a full (first time) iCloud backup performed and executed the day I received the new device.

That said, does doing an backup via iTunes 11 restore Apps and Content? I did an iTunes Backup of my old phone, restored via iTunes figuring it would be faster but all it did was place the stock Apple apps in the same locations I had them setup and change my wallpaper, all my third party apps were removed and didn't appear to want to reinstall.

After that, I reset All Content and Settings and then proceeded with an iCloud backup/restore.

And yes all OEM cables / adapters. The only thing non-Apple was my car but it yielded the same results.

mikegabriel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
Just to report back, tonight I put the phone into DFU mode and restored 6.0.2 from iTunes fully. I set it up with the absolute basics, activated over iTunes and got to Springboard. One of the first modals that popped up was "Charging is not supported with this accessory".

Looks like I'll have to contact support again and move onto iPhone 5 number 4.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
The "charging is not supported by this accessory" error is most commonly caused by lint or something else in the charger port. Make sure you have blown compressed air or taken a toothpick to the Lightning port and re-test.

PaulNY

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
I got my iPhone 5 swapped last week (from AppleCare) ironically also due to camera issues.

Replacement i5 looked flawless, performed well, but after an hour or so on charge (ac) came up with the same error.

I changed lightning cables (both OEM) and when I put my phone on charge before bed, woke up to the "accessory not supported error"

Contacted applecare again earlier this week and they replaced the phone again.

Received this iPhone this evening, plugged it in to my PC, updated to 6.1 and restored from a recent backup...during the sync of apps/music the error popped up again!

Currently wiping it again and finding an older backup that worked..Its very odd for two of my phones (or two lightning cables) to both exhibit this issue so quick

The phones both start to charge (and generally, until tonight) reach 100% before the error pops up

Did you make any progress with your phone?

Landa84

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2013
MY phone charges fine ( iPhone 5) except when it reaches 99% charger not supported with this accessory pops up

rshullic

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
This discussion is interesting because this problem is occurring with iOS 6 and even before iOS 7 came out. I have been reading some threads in Yahoo that are 2, 3 and 4 years old about this type of error message and own cables. Apple put a chip in the cable that allows the iPhone device to determine if it is a certified cable. However, I thought this was only an iPhone 5 issue with IOS 7 and it seems that this problem has been there for years!

Smansunsten

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013
Software Issue

I strongly suspect this is a software issue deliberately designed by Apple. I never had a problem before updating to the new OS. Apparently now with the lightning connector you need an Apple cord and an Apple charger- saw somewhere it has to do with a chip Apple puts in the connector. I have had two Apple cords break in a year due to the thin flimsy insulating cover. It seems that I am being forced into buying their overpriced stuff and I am quite annoyed. Make more durable practical stuff or let me buy elsewhere- shame on you Apple. If you have the same issue please let them know loud and clear.

gw0gvq

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
Barry, South Wales, UK
“This cable or accessory is not certified or may not work reliable with this iPhone”

I have the same problem but the link eramar89 gave goes to a website that is no more.

BlondAlto

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2014
Certified cables having same problem

My lighting cable came WITH my new Apple phone, when I bought it, 11 months
ago at Verizon. Not a reconditioned or "like new" phone, but an actual new one. And for 10 months, there were no problems. But immediately after the 7.1.1 update, I started having this problem. Also when I connect it to the Macbook pro (maverick) I get a different msg - that it is not connected to itunes. so if there's a chip that Apple put in, to detect non-authentic accessories, I can't understand why it's alerting on mine, which came WITH the Apple phone! It was part of the package. At any rate, we aren't alone out there:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/25994723#25994723

Last edited:

saharkei

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
lightening

hi
I have a strange problem. I bought a new lightening and it does not work on my mcbook air. it works with adaptor and also it works with another computers.but it does not work on my mac .
the wire of my 3G iPhone and also the flash memory works on my mac. It shows that the USB drive works. I don't know what should I do!!!!! Please help:D

simrox9

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2014
Also getting the same error with my new iphone 6 plus with the apple cord supplied in the box. The phone will charge to 100% and then the "charging is not supported by this cable" error will appear and stop charging. Seems like many people are having this issue. Believe it has to be something on Apple's end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.