iPhone 5 Confirmed to Use New Nano-SIM Standard

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As had been rumored and shown in leaked images, the iPhone 5 does indeed use the new Apple-backed nano-SIM standard that is 40% smaller than the micro-SIM standard found in the iPhone 4 and 4S. Apple did not mention the change during its media event, but the company has confirmed it in an iPhone model comparison.

[​IMG]

The iPhone 5 appears to be the first device to use the new nano-SIM standard, and carriers had reportedly begun stockpiling the new cards as long ago as July before starting to distribute them to retailers earlier this month in anticipation of the iPhone 5 introduction.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Confirmed to Use New Nano-SIM Standard

2. macrumors regular

cool!;)

3. macrumors regular

BanterClaus

Dammit. This is good overall but it means i'm going to have to get a new contract if I get a new iPhone.

Unless mobile carriers somehow come up with a way for you to transfer sim data.

4. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Which means it's going to be a PITA for anyone who buys unsubsidized and can't swap their old SIM in.

5. macrumors 65816

kirky29

Will I be able to get a new nano sim card from my carrier (o2 uk) if I buy outright unlocked from Apple and I'm already in a contract?

6. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Probably. AT&T does it without question for customers. The issue is getting in a store on launch day.

7. macrumors 65816

fabian9

When the micro SIM was introduced with iPhone 4, this wasn't a problem for me on o2 simplicity. I imagine it'll be similar for nano SIMs now…

They actually sent me my micro SIM before the iPhone got delivered, so I'd be ready to rock by the time it arrived. :)

8. macrumors 68040

KdParker

Hope apple made enough phones for the inital launch.

9. macrumors 65816

kirky29

Ahh this is helpful, thanks! I'll call them at some point when they know about the iPhone themselves and see what they can do :)

10. macrumors 68030

needfx

meat slicers at the ready!

11. macrumors 6502a

T-Mobile UK, think they will have Nano-sims available in their stores on 21st September and you will have to go in store to swap to one. They apparently don't do it the same as O2 where they send the SIM and you swap it online, they can only switch it in person or over the phone.

12. macrumors regular

Nano sim was my only disappointment today

It looks like a regular or microsim CANNOT be cut down to this new nano sim size.

Also, it will be IMPOSSIBLE to use an adaptor with your new nano sim and use that inside a iPhone 4s or regular sim phone

This is really bad news for travellers.

And terrible for people who need to switch sims between devices

13. macrumors member

Doesn't AT&T charge you for a new SIM card, though? Something like $5-10.

14. macrumors 6502a

Xenc

You can use an adaptor to change the profile of a nano SIM to its micro and regular counterparts.

15. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I've never been charged and I've done it at least 5 times.

16. macrumors regular

You cannot. The gold parts are significantly smaller. That's the main problem.

17. macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Contact O2 and ask for a nano SIM to be posted to you, or visit one of their stores on the day of the iPhone 5 release. They should be able to provide you with a complimentary nano SIM.

18. macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Am I good at cutting? I guess not.

19. macrumors 6502a

Xenc

The contacts points are identical between the different form factors. The 4FF was designed to be backward compatible.

20. macrumors 68040

This is false. The micro SIM and nano SIM contacts have the same placement.

One true difference is the thickness of the cards. The nano SIM (0.67mm thick) is 0.09mm thinner than the micro/mini/standard SIM (0.76mm thick). One could probably shave this off in a minute with some sandpaper or an emery board.

Due to manufacturing and contact tolerances, the thickness issue may not be all that important.

21. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Pretty much this.

Some manufacturers change the way the contacts look and it can be confusing for some.

Will the average Joe want to shave off that thickness though?

22. macrumors 6502a

Xenc

The average Joe can get a free replacement SIM card from their mobile provider or Apple :D

23. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Yes, but that could be construed as an inconvenience. And a dumb spectrum reseller like Straight Talk may have quite a delay getting that new SIM to you.

24. TEG
    macrumors 604

TEG

at&t doesn't charge for the SIM Cards, but if you get one from Best Buy or Radio Shack, you have to pay between $5 and $25 for them, and at&t won't refund the cost.

TEG

25. macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

I hope not :(