Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
We need to get the costs down to .30 cents/yr for the next iPhone!!!!!:rolleyes:

Get the energy consumption low enough, and you could replace most of the battery with ambient energy acquisition (movement, temperature fluctuations, etc.) and eliminate deliberate on-grid "charging" entirely.

Cp96alumni

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
Interesting that set top boxes use that much energy and yet cable companies still require us to use them.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Which version of the Xbox 360 are they measuring? Power usage has dropped with each revision of the console.

And dear lord... I knew set-top boxes used a fair amount of power from being on all day, but they actually average more than desktop computers?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Actually the machine is just a wooden box. There is a child inside (some places use midgets) plugging the power cord in while you put your money in.:rolleyes:

LMFAO:)

Interesting that set top boxes use that much energy and yet cable companies still require us to use them.

That's why in europe many Tv sets have a CI slot, insert the card and get rid of the set top box and another useless remote.

What about Modem/routers/wireless AP, those are "suckers" too, and most of them always leave them on.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Bass Ackwards

"But while an individual iPhone 5 uses a minuscule amount of energy, the massive popularity of Apple's devices results in significant energy demand in aggregate."

What a bass ackwards way of thinking. Focus on the negative. The reality is that the energy used is far less than the devices they replace. Many people are replacing a camera, laptop, phone and digital organizer (e.g., Palm or Blackberry) with their iPhone. The iPhone is using far, far less power than that aggregate of other devices so less energy is being consumed. It is a positive, not a negative. Sheesh.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Even though it costs more in mining the materials in the battery to the environment. Not green at all.

But all portable devices need a battery. So compared to a laptop or portable DVD player there is a considerable savings in material.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
"But while an individual iPhone 5 uses a minuscule amount of energy, the massive popularity of Apple's devices results in significant energy demand in aggregate."

What a bass ackwards way of thinking. Focus on the negative. The reality is that the energy used is far less than the devices they replace. Many people are replacing a camera, laptop, phone and digital organizer (e.g., Palm or Blackberry) with their iPhone. The iPhone is using far, far less power than that aggregate of other devices so less energy is being consumed. It is a positive, not a negative. Sheesh.

While I agree with you this being negative I don't think they replace other devices for most people.

Most people nowadays have a camera and a laptop and a smartphone.

Browsing on an smartphone is awkward.
For any serious computer work you need a desktop or laptop.
Smart phones are so so or worse camera functions, depth of field for instance or taking low light pictures.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
LMFAO:)

That's why in europe many Tv sets have a CI slot, insert the card and get rid of the set top box and another useless remote.

What about Modem/routers/wireless AP, those are "suckers" too, and most of them always leave them on.

It really makes me wonder how many power vampires I have in my appartment.

I leave on my laptop 24/7 (yes I know it is bad practices)
I have my router, Cable modem and a external HD always powered on and plugged in. I also have at least 4 chargers always plugged in. Plus anything else always running.

----------

Personally I think how they just listed how much the total power draw of the iPhone makes me think of the total power draw of the smart phones in general. Big time when you consider the iPhone has less than 50% of the market and they use fairly little power with their smaller screens.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Does this take into account the fact that it needs charging every 4 hours when being used by a "normal" person rather than an apple tester ?

I had to go to an android phone (love the phone, HATE the OS) so i could get a phone that lasts the 12 hours i am away from a charging point.

Whats the point in pushing for a thinner and thinner phone if its unusable in the real world ? they might as well sell the iPhone 5 with no battery at all, make it really thin, im sure they could call it the Post Battery iPhone or something, Then sell an "optional" battery pack that makes it the size of an old 1980s mobile brick.

I don't want my phone to be power efficient, or an atom thick or lighter than air, i want my phone to be usable, all day, as a standalone device, and be as thick and heavy as is required for that.

I know i can buy external battery sleeves etc, but, A. I shouldn't HAVE to do that, and B. the chances of me damaging my phones connector when i have to remove the sleeve to use a caddy or charging station for the phone is increased.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
In the scheme of things, I'd bet that the base stations that provide the wireless connection are many magnitudes higher consumption on a per device basis.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Does this take into account the fact that it needs charging every 4 hours when being used by a "normal" person rather than an apple tester ?

I had to go to an android phone (love the phone, HATE the OS) so i could get a phone that lasts the 12 hours i am away from a charging point.

Whats the point in pushing for a thinner and thinner phone if its unusable in the real world ? they might as well sell the iPhone 5 with no battery at all, make it really thin, im sure they could call it the Post Battery iPhone or something, Then sell an "optional" battery pack that makes it the size of an old 1980s mobile brick.

I don't want my phone to be power efficient, or an atom thick or lighter than air, i want my phone to be usable, all day, as a standalone device, and be as thick and heavy as is required for that.

I know i can buy external battery sleeves etc, but, A. I shouldn't HAVE to do that, and B. the chances of me damaging my phones connector when i have to remove the sleeve to use a caddy or charging station for the phone is increased.

My iPhone 4s battery lasts 3 days for me (I am probably a minimal user but I do my share of texting, video, picture taking).

My boss has an iPhone 4s too but he has to charge it every few hours.

Difference? I have Verizon with max signal strength 24/7 and he has AT&T with barely a bar.

Now, I had Android for 3 years before my first iPhone and I rooted it and undervolted the kernel - and I got 2 days of use but again I had Verizon with max reception. I'm starting to think reception strength has a lot to do with battery drain more than anything.

lwapps

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
But all portable devices need a battery. So compared to a laptop or portable DVD player there is a considerable savings in material.

You doubt Apple :apple: too much. One day they will release an iPhone with no battery, as thin as paper.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
I believe the current iPad draws roughly 4 watts/hour when in use.

This means that the energy required to power a 60-watt lightbulb for one hour can power the iPad for 15 hours.

I find this pretty amazing as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.