Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Yep. This rumor has to be highly suspect. As far as I can tell, the TDP of the A4 was 1W, and the A5 is 0.5W. That's not gonna cause a heat issue.

Add to that the iFixit Teardowns have confirmed the A4 and A5 are the same package size despite the chip area being bigger.

So it really does seem like a stretch of a rumor...

Not to get excited about battery life on the next phone, but if it is A5 based would we be looking at having twice the battery life if its using 1/2 the wattage of the A4?

:)

Only if you never turn the screen backlight on. ;)

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
knowing Apple chances are yes they did not properly test the design.

Did you miss the part where they took the media on a tour of their ultra-high tech and expensive testing facilities? There is no way that Apple didn't know exactly how the antenna would perform. They just decided for one reason or another that it was acceptable.

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
My iPad 2 isn't feeling terribly hot, and with a similarly thin form factor, why would it be a greater problem on an iPhone 5? I assume the A5 chip has identical size in both cases. Is it harder to provide good heat dissipation in the iPhone? Just trying to understand the issue here as a novice. :p

I think the A5 does okay in the iPad case because of the case. It's bigger than the iPhone case. So I think that if you stick an A5 right next to a power source, 802.11 transceiver and a 3G Cell Transceiver...the collective heat of all of it together is too much for the form factor.

Not to mention everyone who uses an iPhone keeps them in protective cases. When I charge my iPhone 4 inside of it's Otterbox case it feels quite warm. It makes you wonder if they do heat tests on their prototypes outside of a protective case or in or maybe both.

But that's just my .02 cents.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Ipad chip is larger in physical size that mean that it dumps heat better and compressing the size of the chip could easily increase the heat from the chip so now you have less area to dump the heat and a lot more to deal with.

Not sure whynyou think this I'd true. Do you have the dimensions of the iPad and iPhone 4 A4s...

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Jesus, since when is a much faster CPU/GPU, twice as fast network speeds and almost 2x as better of a camera, a minor update for a phone!? What are we expecting, nuclear powered and doubles as a hover board?

I agree that those updates would be significant, but would it qualify as an iPhone 4S or iPhone 5? Remember that apple increased exactly those specs (camera, processor, network) with the iPhone 3G -> 3GS move, which I think most considered a more modest update.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
After antennagate comes heatgate.

"You're holding it too much."

"Using any mobile phone will result in some production of heat. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone..."
My 4 gets pretty hot all the time. From gaming.
I've found that it's worth paying attention to Gruber and Toplosky. Everyone else I take with a HUGE grain of salt.
Where do people get these giant salt crystals? I want some!
Lol, imagine your iPhone just bursting into flames out of nowhere.:D That's the thought I had when I read "overheating."
I think there's an app for that.
Nice rumor, but it comes with a rather large grain-of-salt to me.:p
Really! I want the big salt!
knowing Apple chances are yes they did not properly test the design. The bigger issue with the antenta was how Apple denied denied denied it being a problem even in the end it was worse. I would not be surpised in the least to find out that the drop call rate was a near a 50%+ jump over the 3gs. (remember Apple said less than 1 per 100 over the 3GS but that number is useless unless we know what the 3GS drop rate call rate was. I am willing to bet the 3GS drop call rate was with in norms and was under 1 per 100.

Apple screwed up in the design and it was acting like it was not an issue that blew up in their face and the fake that it would be done with a pinky.

As for kdarling suggestoin yeah Apple could easy cover it up from happening again by slapping lets say Motorola, LG or Samsung label on the test device and no one would be the wiser.
Does the hate cause you heartburn? There's just so much of it. Try Tums.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Did you miss the part where they took the media on a tour of their ultra-high tech and expensive testing facilities? There is no way that Apple didn't know exactly how the antenna would perform. They just decided for one reason or another that it was acceptable.

You mean the same type of set up any cell manufacturer would have? Sorry but that is a lab which means limited testing with a handful of people. It is not the real world. There is a reason everyone else have the real phone real world testing which apple does not do. That is why it was missed. This followed by Apple cover up is why they got so much heat.

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
There is a reason everyone else have the real phone real world testing which apple does not do. That is why it was missed.
Rodimus, sometimes I wonder why you spend so much time spreading FUD. You have as much of an idea about Apple's antenna testing as you do Samsung's or HTC's. You have no concrete working knowledge, and are working off your opinion.

I agree the iPhone 4 antenna is an issue. I do believe you're part of a cult that likes to blow it up bigger than it is (a good lot of which brought Antennagate about).

This followed by Apple cover up is why they got so much heat.
So much heat that Apple can't make iPhone 4s fast enough to sell them. Yes. More Rodimus truth. Apple happens to be the only mobile phone manufacturer with any significant market share growth last quarter.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...mobile-subscriber-market-share-123098853.html

Continue to be baffled by your unnecessary anti-Apple rhetoric.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Rodimus, sometimes I wonder why you spend so much time spreading FUD. You have as much of an idea about Apple's antenna testing as you do Samsung's or HTC's. You have no concrete working knowledge, and are working off your opinion.

I agree the iPhone 4 antenna is an issue. I do believe you're part of a cult that likes to blow it up bigger than it is (a good lot of which brought Antennagate about).

So much heat that Apple can't make iPhone 4s fast enough to sell them. Yes. More Rodimus truth. Apple happens to be the only mobile phone manufacturer with any significant market share growth last quarter.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...mobile-subscriber-market-share-123098853.html

My name is res1233 and I approve this message. I think some people prefer to think in the abstract rather than the concrete, if you get what I'm saying. Believing something is true rather than actually knowing it is. Can't say I never do that though. :p

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

I love the "Your argument is no good because Apple sells so well"

Sorry the press gave them a lot of crap over it and rightfully so. That does not make it heat.
Also the fact that Apple could sell dog crap in a box really well is another reason that the selling argument is crap.

You even admitted antennagate was an issue and Apple screwed up.
I would not of cared until it got bigger in the news and then Apple started trying to cover it up and then tried to drag everyone else under the bus. If Apple had come out and said sorry we made a mistake it would of been dead but Apple being it standard arrogant self came out and tried to cover it up with media BS like the testing room acting like they are the one ones who have a place like that. Sadly the dumb masses bought that hook line and sinker which simple logic tells you all the big cell companies would have rooms if not even multiple rooms and testing like that.

It was the cover up that got them the heat from the press.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
I don't buy it.

First, the A5 isn't brand new and works just fine in the iPad.

Second, the iPhone implementation has historically always been underclocked in comparison to the iPad implementation, meaning even LESS heat output than an iPad.

So no.

Plus, a dual-core ARM9 isn't exactly bleeding edge **** nowadays.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Jesus, since when is a much faster CPU/GPU, twice as fast network speeds and almost 2x as better of a camera, a minor update for a phone!? What are we expecting, nuclear powered and doubles as a hover board?

as long as it keeps the same design its a minor update imo. i need a bigger screen my iPhone 4 looks like a baby next to all those android phones. the average customer doesnt really care much for tech specs besides the more pixel the "better" and is all hooked onto designs. i bet if u hold a 3G next to a 3GS half the people wouldnt realize its a different phone.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
I still don't buy the iPhone 4S rumors. If they were going to release a "small" spec bump for the iPhone, they would have done so on their normal release schedule. They don't break with tradition, knowing that lots of 3GS owners will be coming off contract, to leave that group waiting around for months on a minor upgrade. Minor updates are easy, and don't require Apple to delay their release.

I am one of those 3GS users waiting for the new iPhone and I buy those rumors because a small spec bump comes perfect along with the new iOS5.
I wish it will be an all-new design with a lot of new features but I doubt it will need to be an iPhone 5 instead of an iPhone 4G/4S. It's just a new iOS which doesn't do "dramatic" stuff like iOS4 did with multitasking that might need a whole redesign to fit a better processor/display, as a matter of fact the iPhone 4 Runs it pretty smoothly already, a better processor will be just futureproofing for iOS6 and so on.

There's no reason to be mad because a company that makes phones hasn't released something that they haven't even announced. (*coughs*Lion*coughs*)

Stok3

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
as long as it keeps the same design its a minor update imo. i need a bigger screen my iPhone 4 looks like a baby next to all those android phones. the average customer doesnt really care much for tech specs besides the more pixel the "better" and is all hooked onto designs. i bet if u hold a 3G next to a 3GS half the people wouldnt realize its a different phone.

LOL they may have to use a bigger screen just for a bigger case if this rumor is true

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
ion.

A cult? Really? What does that make all the people that believe and post over and over that there was never and there is no issue with the iPhone 4? LOL

You're confusing sales with controversy/PR issues.

McDonalds has tremendous sales and marketshare. I think it would be ridiculous to imply they haven't been thrown under the bus several times. But they sell food a lot of people like at a price people are willing to pay.

We won't ever really know (because it won't be divulged) how many returns Apple had on the iPhone 4 or how many people would have bought the iPhone 4 but didn't. The latter part being impossible to determine. So it's truly impossible to measure the actual effect of the negative press. I'm not suggesting the phone isn't or didn't sell well. But the PR "hit" apple took vs sales are two different beasts.

I said this from day one (when I received Steve's email about my antenna issue which was then was featured on this site and others) - the interesting thing to watch will be what is said about the next iteration (4S, 5) or if anything is said at all.

Will they mention the antenna, any redesign, etc - or not. Will the Q&A session hit upon the issue and how will Apple respond.

Will reviewers resurface the issue when the new phone is reviewed (also a sign of a PR hit)

And are "on the fence" people going to wait (longer) to hear more results of the new design before pulling the trigger because of the launch of the iPhone 4.

All interesting things to watch for....

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
Has to be the chip design then because there are plenty of Androids out there with dual processors and they work fine without overheating. I know firsthand because I dumped my iPhone for one.

drummerdude1390

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2011
USA
"You're holding it too close to your head"

Using any mobile phone will result in some slow cooking of the brain cells but you won't notice it because the brain does not register pain. Only over time you'll discover that you have difficulty thinking - in other words you slowly go brain dead. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone..Unfortunately there is so much investment by the big telecommunications industry in this that it is wiped under the table however the long term problems are far bigger than those of smoking. Already we see a large increase in brain tumours in children whose parents gave them a mobile phone at a young age.

what timing. you might be the butt of todays xkcd. http://xkcd.com/925/

firewater101

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
"You're holding it too close to your head"

Using any mobile phone will result in some slow cooking of the brain cells but you won't notice it because the brain does not register pain. Only over time you'll discover that you have difficulty thinking - in other words you slowly go brain dead. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone..Unfortunately there is so much investment by the big telecommunications industry in this that it is wiped under the table however the long term problems are far bigger than those of smoking. Already we see a large increase in brain tumours in children whose parents gave them a mobile phone at a young age.

Is it hard to read this site with all that tinfoil on your head, or does Dan Rather dictate it to you through your CIA radio implant? On a side note, this story is complete BS. I can write made up stories in Chinese too... well, ok, no I can't.

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
You mean the same type of set up any cell manufacturer would have? Sorry but that is a lab which means limited testing with a handful of people. It is not the real world. There is a reason everyone else have the real phone real world testing which apple does not do. That is why it was missed. This followed by Apple cover up is why they got so much heat.

So everyone else does lab and real world testing. Apple only does lab testing. Got it.

Apple started trying to cover it up and then tried to drag everyone else under the bus.

Which makes Apple's demonstration of similar failures on those 'real world tested' phones all the more interesting...

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Apple is all about flash and cool. No way do they delay the release of their most popular product without a huge upgrade. It'd be a major "What the hell ..." moment for average consumers, and Steve Jobs would not let that happen. He is, after all, a computer guy with an excellent mind for PR.

Odd I had the what the hell thought when they released the white ip4 most likely towards the end of the ip4's cycle

acurafan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
hopefully there won't be another circus with jobs stating how much apple cares and offer another case to help dissipate heat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.