Iphone 5 design flaw

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Nov 4, 2012.

1. macrumors 68000

If it's true the back can't be replaced as easy as the Iphone 4/4S or can't be replaced atall it seems there's a major design flaw.

I bet after a year there will be alot of broken/useless Iphone 5's for sale on ebay.

:mad:

2. macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Well what would you prefer? Easier back replacement or easier screen replacement.

I bet anyone with more than 20 seconds patience can replace a back easily on a $700 device.

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

From what I gather if it breaks it's bust. New phone required.

4. macrumors regular

I admit I don't own an iP5 yet. But why would this be true? I used to use my 4S without any back on it at all...

5. thread starter macrumors 68000

It can't be repaired.

Break front or the back you need a new phone.

6. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

If the back breaks its still repairable.
    Just like any other phone. Before the back was easy to fix but now the front screen would be a lot easier to fix and replace.
    What you see 99% of the time is people with broken screens, not broken back metal pieces.

7. macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

What are you even talking about? And why the HELL would you use a 4S without the back D:

If you break the back, you'll need to replace it. Much like on the 4 and 4S as well?

8. thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes but if you chip the sides/smash the glass part on the back it needs a full new back plate.

----------

No you don't.

Apple replaced the back glass on Iphone 4 for £25.

9. macrumors regular

No. YOU need a new phone. As long as nothing breaks inside I don't see how a smashed back renders the phone useless. I'd happily still use it because its a device, not a fashion statement.

If my jeans rip, then yes they are useless. (well not useless but you get what I'm saying)

And to the person who asked about my backless 4S. I had a see through glass back on it from iFixit,someone smashed it while I was on holiday. So I just took it off with the intention of getting a new one when I returned home but I never got round to it.

10. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

If you chip the sides thats the metal band around the phone that needs replacing not the back.
    Either way you can bet the back piece is still going to be way cheaper than replacing the front 4" screen/digitizer combo that's all fused in one piece.

11. macrumors member

I fail to see how this is a design flaw, you merely need some patience and you can replace the screen or back. People are already selling the front and backs for IP5, and it appears they replace the componets quite easily.
    Besides, most of the time people break their screen, not the back of the phone. so it makes sense for it to be easier to replace the screen.

12. macrumors member

I would suggest then if that is a major concern to you, skin this generation.

13. macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I love how people, who are are far from being an engineer or designer, feel knowledgeable about whats a design flaw vs not a flaw. lol Must be all those years of experience.

Opinions are great. Everyone has one and they all stink.

Here's my take on this. Don't break your phone. Accidents do happen yes, but we should all be responsible adults with expensive things. And if you do break your property, be mature enough to own up to it. Don't blame it on someone else for your mistakes.

I do not feel it is a design flaw. I feel its a design feature.

14. thread starter macrumors 68000

Would a third party shop replace it cheaper than Apple?

I'm just worried they won't put genuine Iphone parts on or something?

15. macrumors regular

This should be the stock response when people come on here moaning about this.

Its like someone scraping their car in a parking lot and then complaining that the paint/metal is scratch-able and therefore a design flaw.

16. macrumors 6502a

eelw

The unibody design is a feature, not a flaw.

17. macrumors member

Allegrotechie

18. thread starter macrumors 68000

19. macrumors regular

The iPhone 4 had a huge design flaw, the back broke to easily having be made out of glass. I rather have a easily replace screen because I can easily hide the back with a case

20. macrumors regular

Haha, never had a back on my iPhones, works just fine.

21. macrumors regular

After owning an iPhone for 5 years, I learnt not to drop it

Seriously.

22. macrumors 68030

tymaster50

23. macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

In this day and age, life is good, if that is one of your worries/concerns. I envy you.

24. macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

It's not a flaw. Design flaw refers to a defect in a product, which affects either aesthetics or functionality, or eventually both.

25. macrumors 6502a

I don't think the back will ever make a phone run better if its less scratched. That seems unlikely.
    Also, they made changing the screen much easier, and for me, that's all that counts. As I don't use the back touch screen often, as it doesn't exist.