Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smiley311

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
took this into the Apple store yesterday. None of the Geniuses had ever seen anything like it. the bars at the top would fade in then out when the screen was on. When the screen was off for an extended period of time and then turned on, they would not appear right away. Most noticably when the pull down menu from the top was pulled down about half way so the top area is all 1 solid color. At first they said the screen was not supposed to be helpd but after talking to several other employees and even calling a few different stores they balked on that idea. They tried to re-insall the operating system/software but the problem still occured right away. Said something display issues are signs of bad software (?).

In the end after over an hour of different employees looking at it and trying to figure it out, they replaced my phone with a new one.

Just thought i'd share and see if anyone else has this issue or similar issue?

iphone_5_Bars_02.jpg

iphone_5_Bars_04.jpg

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I thought I had seen others post this issue before as well with the new iPhone. Might be somewhere in one of those flickering screen glitch threads. I still have no idea what would cause it. Very odd indeed. Glad you got it replaced.

smiley311

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I thought I had seen others post this issue before as well with the new iPhone. Might be somewhere in one of those flickering screen glitch threads. I still have no idea what would cause it. Very odd indeed. Glad you got it replaced.

The flickering screen they said was due to software bug. They re-install all the phone software and 99% of the time it fixes the problem. Most display issues the Guenuises at the store said are signs that the software is curropt.

Not the case here since they wiped mine clean and the bars still apeared.

Vforvin

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
My phone has just started doing that as well. And once that started, it started freezing regularly. Also whenever the bars appear I cant drag down the menu either. Guess a visit to the apple store is coming up

SuperFudge8

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
Same issue... started today

I am getting the exact same issue. White blocks showed up at the top of my screen and no longer have access to the pull down notifications window... Going to the Genius Bar tomorrow morning...

w0by

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2007
Chicago, IL
White boxes

I have this on my iPhone 5. I have white boxes on my screen also. I took it into the Apple store today to get it fixed/replaced. The "Genius" said that I had a small drop of dried up water on some metal piece behind the screen. Under no circumstance was this phone ever dropped into any liquid nor has any water been dropped onto the phone. I'm very annoyed right now. I spent $658 on this unlocked phone from the apple website and now I'm left with a screen with white boxes on it. I'm rather annoyed with Apple and their false accusations. I'm calling my credit card company to just dispute the charge & I *will* win this & get my money back for a new phone.

Techtronicstlh

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2013
Squares boxes are gone

Customer came in with boxes and camera not working from getting it wet. Replaced camera but boxes remained. Opened up several times thinking it was connectors. After the fifth time I opened and cleaned connectors with fine brush and the boxes are gone. Hope this helps

verdi1987

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
The exact behavior happened to my iPhone 5 as well. It started yesterday morning, and the issue persisted after reboots and a restore. (In fact, the bars displayed during the restore.) As the original poster described, the bars faded in and out and would gradually fade in if the screen was off for a period of time.

I went to the Genius Bar, and they replaced my phone. My Genius indicated he had never seen the problem before, although my Google search indicates it's not all too uncommon.

The Genius noticed the screen had started to come off, which I hadn't noticed. He asked me if I had replaced the screen. I had not.

IMG_0163.jpg

Brad321

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
White Lines

I have a new iPhone5 - 4months old. The phone was flawless for the first few months apart from a wobble inside (the battery). While at the apple store I thought I would ask if its normal to which they replied "No". they then took it out the back and refitted the battery. Since then I have had several issues including the white bars at the top of screen as discussed in this thread.
It also:
- seems to press buttons and type by itself at times.
- zooms in by itself (normally activated by a 3 finger double tap)
- Occasional loss of sound (very low volume of all sounds form speaker.

Its off to Genius Bar this Saturday!
:confused:

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Unless you water sensors are activated, Apple owes people with this condition another phone. A small "drop of dried up water" does not cut it :eek:

Uh oh

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2013
I don't know I this shows up well. This box showed up on my phone. I don't know why!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 1,763

GiJoeShmoe

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2014
Techtronicstlh You Are a Life Saver!!!

Customer came in with boxes and camera not working from getting it wet. Replaced camera but boxes remained. Opened up several times thinking it was connectors. After the fifth time I opened and cleaned connectors with fine brush and the boxes are gone. Hope this helps

I replaced the battery in our CFO's iPhone 5 and it started doing the same thing as everyone else is describing on here. Vertical white bars at the top of the screen and the screen was almost non-responsive. I opened the phone up, disconnected the battery cable, disconnected the connector ribbon cables for the display, used a fine soft bristled brush to wipe the connections, gave it a shot of canned air, made sure the cables were firmly reseated, reconnected the battery cable, put everything back together and viola'! No more display problems and the phone worked as it should!!! :)

The only thing that gave me issue was the stupid little screws at the bottom of the phone. The heads round out easily, so any fixers out there beware. Once you get the two exterior screws at the bottom of the phone out the first time DON'T tighten them all the way down when you put the phone back together because these screws are kinda one and you're done and so if you need to get back into the phone for any reason you'll have issues :(

Just glad I got his Crapple phone working again, lol. Terrible design and highly overcomplicated assembly. Glad I'm a Samsung/Droid guy :)

Screen Repairs

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2014
Aylesbury
Solution

The problem you guys have is the LCD connector is not in the correct position or not pushed down far enough.
I've come across this issue loads of times, a gentle push down on the connector in all 4 corners will sort this.

Simple.

barfo

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
I replaced my rear camera module on my iP5, and after putting it all back together, I, too, started to get these white blocks across my screen. I went back and reattached the connectors, but their still there, but not as pronounced. Not sure what else to do.

bwerner25

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2012
Texas
This happens when the connection of the screen to the motherboard isn't good. I've had this happen many times with non OEM replacement screens. Just fiddle with the connection and eventually those bars will disappear.

yummycosworth688

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2015
To anyone still having this issue as I got it recently, it is a faulty connector on the screen. If youre good with iphones, just take the screen off give the connectors a blow and carefully put it back together and it should work fine again. If youre not so good with iphones, im sure you could take it to some shop somewhere and get them to do it for you and if not then you may have to get a screen replacement just for them to connect it properly. Its not too hard if youre thinking about doing it yourself but make sure you dont break anything and take your time.

Good Luck!

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
White boxes

I have this on my iPhone 5. I have white boxes on my screen also. I took it into the Apple store today to get it fixed/replaced. The "Genius" said that I had a small drop of dried up water on some metal piece behind the screen. Under no circumstance was this phone ever dropped into any liquid nor has any water been dropped onto the phone. I'm very annoyed right now. I spent $658 on this unlocked phone from the apple website and now I'm left with a screen with white boxes on it. I'm rather annoyed with Apple and their false accusations. I'm calling my credit card company to just dispute the charge & I *will* win this & get my money back for a new phone.

I wonder how things worked out for this guy...

dmitryr117

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
took this into the Apple store yesterday. None of the Geniuses had ever seen anything like it. the bars at the top would fade in then out when the screen was on. When the screen was off for an extended period of time and then turned on, they would not appear right away. Most noticably when the pull down menu from the top was pulled down about half way so the top area is all 1 solid color. At first they said the screen was not supposed to be helpd but after talking to several other employees and even calling a few different stores they balked on that idea. They tried to re-insall the operating system/software but the problem still occured right away. Said something display issues are signs of bad software (?).

In the end after over an hour of different employees looking at it and trying to figure it out, they replaced my phone with a new one.

Just thought i'd share and see if anyone else has this issue or similar issue?

iphone_5_Bars_02.jpg

iphone_5_Bars_04.jpg

In my case it was a bad connection to the motherboard. I opened the phone, detached connectors to motherboard, and cleaned connectors with isopropil alcohol. Then reassembled and everything was working ok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.