Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_4s_box.jpg
Japanese blog Mac Otakara today reports that it has learned from a "reliable" source that Apple is targeting another September or October release for the iPhone this year, continuing a shift away from the mid-year launches seen prior to 2011 and yielding an approximately 12-month upgrade cycle for the iPhone 4S. The report also claims that Apple intends for the later timeframe to be part of Apple's long-term plans for iPhone launches.
According to Asian reliable source, next iPhone will be released in September or October , and this cycle seems to be kept for years.
MacRumors has similarly heard from a representative of a supplier known to provide parts for the iPhone that Apple's ordering plans are pointing toward a launch of new hardware in the September.

A third source also claimed to iMore last week that Apple is targeting an October launch for an LTE-enabled iPhone 5, with that source also apparently having accurately named March 7 as the date of Apple's iPad 3 media event. Apple has yet to officially announce that iPad 3 event, but the date has been confirmed as accurate by the well-connected Jim Dalrymple at The Loop.

The claims of a September or October launch for the iPhone 5 directly contradict several previous rumors that had claimed Apple would be releasing the iPhone this summer, presumably at its Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco. That event that may be held during the week of June 11-15 this year, meaning that a product launch in the weeks after such an introduction would result in a very short lifecycle of only eight months for the iPhone 4S. Consequently, many have believed that Apple will indeed hold off on the iPhone 5 launch until later in the year as it did in 2011.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Due for Release in September-October Timeframe?

Cheebo

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2012
New iPad's in the Spring
New Mac's and new Mac OS in the Summer (great for new students buying new computers before fall classes)
New iPhones and new iOS in the Fall. (great for christmas holidays)

Simple and makes sense. They got their formula all worked out and I see no reason to mess with it in the near future.

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I am so sick of these "Macotakara" rumors. At this point it's just guessing and speculation from anyone.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Seems about right. I highly doubt they will come out with an iPhone during the summer.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hold on, beloved 3GS...

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
Does make sense - considering how well adopted the "minor upgrade" that is the 4S was. Apple surely doesn't want to burn all those millions of customers by announcing a new iPhone only a couple of months after the 4S was released in some markets, would leave quite a sour taste in many mouths.

And I won't feel so outdated when I finally get a 4S as my new work phone in April:D

Last edited:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

I am so sick of these "Macotakara" rumors, they are all lies. At this point it's just guessing and speculation from anyone.

Their "rumors" are "lies" ?

This statement implies "rumors" are "facts". Which they aren't .

;)

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Who honestly thought they would switch back to a summer release for the iPhone? iPhone 4S was released in October; expect to see the 6th generation iPhone and it's successors all announced around that time. Releasing a new model in October and then releasing a redesigned new model in the summer is ridiculous and Apple won't do it.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
It really makes sense for them to be released in the Fall. The iPhone 4S is doing phenomenally right now. A September/October release would allow for a KILLER holiday quarter. iPhones/iPods/iTunes/iOS 6 in the Fall.

iPad 3 w/ iOS 5.1 to hold people off for Spring/Summer along with new Macs/Mountain Lion for Spring/Summer/Back To School.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Does make sense - considering how well adopted the "minor upgrade" that is the 4S was. Apple surely doesn't want to burn all those millions of customers by announcing a new iPhone only a couple of months after the 4S was released would leave quite a sour taste in many mouths.

And I won't feel so outdated when I finally get a 4S as my new work phone in April:D

They can release IOS6 in the summer with new features to keep people entertained until a new Iphone is released a few months later.

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
New iPad's in the Spring
New Mac's and new Mac OS in the Summer (great for new students buying new computers before fall classes)
New iPhones and new iOS in the Fall. (great for christmas holidays)

Simple and makes sense. They got their formula all worked out and I see no reason to mess with it in the near future.

Exactly. And they aim for the middle of the last month in each quarter. That way they can announce "4 million iPhones in just the first weekend" at the conference call about 3-4 weeks later. And then there is a full quarter of maximum sales volume for the next quarter. So it's a continual circle of "We just launched product A less than three weeks ago and have already sold B units" + "Our first full quarter of product X sales and we sold a record Y units"

Every quarter gets a release at mid month of the last month in the quarter. Except for December, for obvious holiday reasons.

GunZi

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2012
i bought the iphone 4S and im skipping iphone 5 and im buying iphone 5S next.. cause i think battery will suck on iphone 5

and the iphone 5S will fix all those issues :)

groupersandwich

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Yep - sounds about like the right time frame...

But the 6th iPhone probably won't be called the iPhone 5...

Regardless of what it's to be called, waiting until October sucks! I'm stuck with this god forsaken Droid X (out of contract no less) and having to wait an additional 4 months is torture. I think they should release it NOW so that I can be happy.:mad::D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.