iPhone 5 - Dust and dead pixels

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mdwsta4, Dec 17, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

Taking a picture today I noticed what looked like sensor dust on my iphone. At first I thought perhaps it was lint, a smudge, or maybe a dried rain drop. After thorough cleaning, it was still there! Is it possible that there's sensor dust? Odder still is that I haven't noticed it until now and I've had one since released. I would hope there's not space enough around the lens to allow dust in like a DSLR or other ILC.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

While doing some testing, I also noticed what appeared to be a cluster of dead/stuck pixels. They don't look like a typical dead/stuck pixel, at least nothing I'm used to on a camera, but it's noticeable in photos.

Here is an example of both
    [​IMG]

2. macrumors 65816

Return it. They will give you a working model.

Apple is great when rare stuff like this happens.

3. macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Yeah, I have seen at least 5 phones with this prob. Apple will replace it no problem.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll call up the Apple store to ensure they have replacements. Downside, of course, is that I'll have to order new skins. Hate having to do that.

5. macrumors regular

My iPhone 5 got alot than you , just took it to Apple Store yesterday and they replaced for me a brand new one( not refurbished )

Just tell them you want to check serial number before they open the box for replacement iPhone. If you check and pop up : PLEASE ACTIVE YOUR IPHONE ...... That will be brand new

If checked and see that is activated . That will be refurbished :)

Link: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

6. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Yea they'll replace that without a problem.

7. macrumors regular

Same happened to my phone, I'm gonna bring it in for a swap.

Attached Files:

8. macrumors 6502

unknownbeing

I have both dust and chips under my lens. I also have dead pixels and if I push down on the left side of the screen it clicks.

9. macrumors 6502a

I have one small spec of dust in the camera housing.. however, it does not impact my photos. If it gets worse, I will definitely get it checked out