iPhone 5 Exchange for Refurb

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GrandPhrase, Dec 7, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Hi, my iPhone 5 still has the "WPA2 WiFi" issues and am planning to get it exchanged for a refurbished (or whatever they give me).

I ordered it online and threw away the receipt that came with it in the package. Will I be fine just bringing my iPhone and its box and contents without the receipt since it has a limited warranty of 1 year?

Do I need to provide any credit card (in hand)? Or will the exchange be free without any financial requests of information (as my parents are not with me since I am in Uni)?

2. macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

You don't need a receipt. The iPhone is proof of purchase enough.

Also you shouldn't have to have a waiver for your replacement.

You only need the box w/ contents if you're planning a RETURN and not a Genius Bar replacement.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.. and if I were to to get a replacement, is it likely that I will get a new one or a refurbished? Do refurbished basically have new chassis, battery, and everything else the same?

Also, do you think I may be able to somehow get a black iP5 for replacement (mine is white right now)?

4. macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

It's more than likely you'll get a refurb. That's a new chassis, battery and a "used" logic board.

And Apple only offers like-for-like replacements. I wish they let you switch at time of replacement (I'd go Michael Jackson with my iPhone if I could).

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol about that MJ. I've read up on it and there are 2 theories on a used logic board/CPU,GPU - does a used logic board slow down with time or slow down from additional programs?

My question on the used logic board is not from complaint (I'm perfectly fine with a refurb) - just asking out of curiosity..

6. macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

I don't think the components are breaking down rapidly. At least not enough for us to notice performance hits. The reason why I doubt it is because doing a 'Restore as New' clears up performance issues.

However I can't do that. My texts are too valuable. Lol.