Iphone 5 facetime problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ize Buko, Jan 10, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I always use facetime with my girlfriend using my iphone 4 and never had a problem with it. However, I recently purchased a new iphone 5 and have noticed that facetime always keeps on lagging and most of the times I cannot hear what my girlfriend is saying. But whenever I switch back to my iphone 4 then all these facetime problems don't happen. Is this a common problem among iphone 5 users? and how to fix it?

2. macrumors G5

jav6454

Seems like a dumb question, but is the usage of the iPhone 5 over Wi-Fi or LTE? I don't ask of the iPhone 4, since that one is strictly Wi-Fi only.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Both using the same wifi. Using iphone 5 facetime is sometimes so unbearable of constant lagging that I then switch back to iphone 4 which has better performance with facetime.

4. macrumors regular

Since you have both the 4 and 5 on the same Wifi, did you try doing a speed test on both phones to see if there was a connection issue with 5?

5. macrumors member

I had a similar issue that got "better" but wasn't cured.

Mine was nearly unusable on my iPad and iPhone on my wifi. I was broadcasting G and N wireless. When I switched it back to strictly G, it got better. However, it still lags once every 5 min or so. It's annoying as hell. I'm sure it's an issue with my wifi and/or router but since my Facetime usage dropped to maybe only once a month, I stopped caring.

(Edit: I will add, I never had any problems on my 4 or 4S on the same wifi network)

If your speed tests are fine and Facetime works fine elsewhere, start playing with some router settings (if you know enough about that kind of stuff).

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Woah! I checked their speed and the iphone 5 is giving way faster download and upload speed. What I don't understand is why its performance on facetime is bad. Could this be an ios problem? or is this problem only happening to me?

7. macrumors member