Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deeelz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know how long you should charge the iphone 5 first time out of the box??

Thanks

Zethca

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2007
You can do whatever you want. Anything you hear about needing to do a certain charge method is an old wives tail left over from older battery technology generations. There is no evidence for conditioning modern lithium ion batteries.

beem4520

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
I use it straight outta the box down to 1%, then full charge it (not using it while it is charging).

Me personally I always run my battery down low (not even out of the box) then full charge it .

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

----------

You can do whatever you want. Anything you hear about needing to do a certain charge method is an old wives tail left over from older battery technology generations. There is no evidence for conditioning modern lithium ion batteries.
Straight from Apple (not about right outta the box)

Use iPhone Regularly

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012

That's not true at all on many phones if you don't charge it correctly it will not give you proper battery percentages . I always run mine down to 15% then charge it with the phone off to it's full

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Wondered how long it would be before this was asked. Mine arrived with 73% in the battery. It is plugged in now while it updates all the sfotware but after that it will not get charged till this evening!

It makes no difference

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Interesting, since real-world tests show that lithium-ion batteries perform best when only run down to 50% and are recharged frequently.

deeelz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
so should i use it till 15% and then turn off and charge? i am a bit confused now lol

Zethca

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2007
I'm saying you can use it normally without ever thinking about the battery, and you'll never have a battery problem. Yes it is good to run it down occasionally. No, you don't need to charge it to 100% and run it to 0 when you get it, that is nonsense.

Yes, Apple recommends you "use iPhone regularly". Friends don't let friends perpetuate myths about conditioning batteries out of the box. You never have to think about this. Boggles the mind that it's still peddled out every year.

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
Boggles the mind that it's still peddled out every year.

I think that it's still asked a lot because there is a LOT of misinformation still floating around out there. I was just told by an Apple rep that I should charge it until it's 100% charged, wait a couple hours after it hits 100%, then unplug it and use it until it's below 40%, then charge (or continue using, just don't recharge until it's below 40%).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.