Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I don't think height of drop matters, its the angle of the drop that determines whether your screwed or not.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
they should make the screen out of diamonds so no matter how it falls it'll stay intact. It's totally apple and corning's fault that you dropped the phone and it broke.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
That's weird all the drop tests show the glass to be very strong and the phone overall much sturdier than the iphone 4/4s. Probably the angle you dropped it on, or you dropped it on something sharp on the ground. Anyway first post for me :)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Do you have ANY kind of insurance? Or do you self insure for health, auto, life too?
Yes, I do self insure in all categories. By having a strong organized plan with well defined categories the financial benefits are terrific. No deductibles, no fees paid out to other companies, the financial gain cannot be beat.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
they should make the screen out of diamonds so no matter how it falls it'll stay intact. It's totally apple and corning's fault that you dropped the phone and it broke.

This.

And wth is with the Aluminum back? Why not Tungsten!? then it would have the "quality" feel of heaviness, until the masses start begging for a lighter phone again (and once they get it, they'll want it to be heavy). Apple simply can't win. Good thing they're having such a hard time selling these disasters :rolleyes:.

And it should come with at least 7 100 dollar bills. Real ones. I spent my hard earned money on this product and Apple is a multi-billion dollar company. They owe it to me and I deserve it.

And if I drop it, they should have some sort of helicopter service to come pick it up off the cement, airlift it to the nearest Apple store, and fly it back.

I spent money. Therefore I am owed perfection.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I dropped my phone and it broke, so obviously it must be the phones fault?

I don't get the logic. What am I missing? :rolleyes:

it's the equivalent to "I paid for this wine bottle and halfway through drinking it I tripped and the bottle smashed on the ground, these bottles are so weak"

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
it's the equivalent to "I paid for this wine bottle and halfway through drinking it I tripped and the bottle smashed on the ground, these bottles are so weak"

Oh ok. I gotcha. Like that one time I had a watch, but then I didnt. So it must be the store's fault because I never bought it.

Thanks. Clear as dirt now.

Aug 5, 2012
Applecare+ is great I agree. I'm not sure why he knocked your math

I'm a business man and I can tell you all about derivatives.

But long story short you buy "insurance" betting that you'll get your payday.

That's what AppleCare is.

Now, considering it only costs $229, if you don't drop your phone it's worth the $79 risk.

But if you do drop it, go with AppleCare.

And if you are going to do the whole case thing, well, just don't. It's expensive and it makes more sense not to.

Wow... Look everybody a business man!

Honestly...

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Glass is liable to shattering, but design can make a big difference.

In recent iPhone and iPad models, in efforts to make the devices thinner, the thickness of the glass has been much reduced and the glass actually extrudes from the front surface of the device (contrast with the iPad 1 where it was slightly inset).

In my opinion and experience, it has made the devices much more easily breakable from small drops. My iPad 1 has easily survived drops wiout a scratch that would break newer devices.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I don't know why Apple won't use Gorilla Glass 2 instead of cost cutting and using the regular Corning glass... plenty other phones have GG2, you'd think Apple could splurge a bit seeing as it's so "top notch".

The difference may not be too much when dropping it but GG2 is sure a lot more durable.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I don't know why Apple won't use Gorilla Glass 2 instead of cost cutting and using the regular Corning glass... plenty other phones have GG2, you'd think Apple could splurge a bit seeing as it's so "top notch".

The difference may not be too much when dropping it but GG2 is sure a lot more durable.

it is gorilla glass 2..

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Bad luck, my 5 fell face first as well from a desk and it is perfectly fine. I only have a slim case and a screen protector, so those didn't really help break the fall or anything.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Applecare+ is $100- I'd rather not save $20 a month incase something happens to my phone. lol. I'd rather spend that on the next iPhone, and that would probably still be cheaper

It's $100 every 2 years for AppleCare+ and if you ever have to use it then its $50 per use. So saving money monthly is probably smarter because after 10 months you'd have saved enough for a replacement. If you don't have to use it, you'll have saved $100 by not buying AppleCare+

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
So your saying apple care isn't worth it? Trust me, i save.You make no sense,applecare+ is 100% the way to go. Think of how much the average phone user spends on there phone in a year. take the iphone 5 for example.

$5-$10 for a cheap case until these iphone 5 cases started to come out
$40 for a case once they finally come out ( not even to mention the pric etag of life proof or otter box cases which range from $50-$100)
$10- for an average screen protector. $20 for a good one
Andost people dont only buy one screen protector and case in the life span of their phones. so thats another $50
No add in the price to fix your screen if it breaks once your out of warranty.. That's at least $50.
Then theres at least one headphone replacement. Free with apple care, $35 out of warranty. I'm not even gonna mention that you might wreck your ONE lightening cable.

I'm not the one who needs to learn my math:D

I wait until the screen protector I want comes out. I only buy one case for my phone. I get a new iphone each time a new one comes out. I also put up money for a replacement and I only dropped one of my iPhones which was my 3GS, and I had plenty of money saved up to replace it for $199 which was way less than paying for AppleCare every year.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Okay why has nobody pointed out the fact that the glass is VERY strong and it's actually the angle which it lands+surface it lands on. If it lands on a ****ing ROCK face first, really doesn't matter 1 feet - 5 feet.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
These events are know as accidents. I don't care how careful anyone is, you cannot be perfect. Sooner or later you're going to drop your phone. It's best to use a good case designed for protection & not just looks.

Or you can do what I do. I go caseless.

I pay myself $20 month, accrued in a dedicated account, when an accident happens, I've got the funds set aside to pay for it, without giving my money to an insurance plan. Being careful, it was many months before I had to use it.

By the time I experienced my first broken glass I had $440 in reserve. I replaced it myself for just under $100. I haven't had an accident since then, currently it's holding well over $1,000. So as you see I'm well ahead of the game without giving my "insurance money" to anyone else. :)

I understand the idea of self insuring and, while not totally against it, I have a couple of issues.

1). I know of no insurance that is $20/mo for an iPhone. Mine works out to less than $6/mo

2) Self insurance is fine if you front load it or go for an extended period without an accident so that the funds build up. If someone has an accident in month two under your plan, then they would have only $40 with which to get a new device or make repairs.

3) With the insurance that I have, I get a check for $699 if I have a loss. $749 replacement cost less my $50 deductible. In order to have $699 on the $20/mo self insurance plan, you would have to be accident free for nearly 3 years. That may be hard to do. I realize that not everything will be a total loss, but a drop in salt water pretty much ends your phone. I wouldn't want to have to be accident free for 3 years.

That being said, I have always been a huge fan if "paying yourself first." So if I were to follow your plan and pay myself $20/mo, I could take the $20, pay $6 for insurance and then save $14. After 2 years, I would have more than $300 to allocate towards the latest iPhone and be insured the whole time. Works well!

I realize that most people don't like insurance but I have found that cell phone insurance has been more than worth it for me and I tend to be very careful.

Just my .02

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
it is gorilla glass 2..

This is right. GG2 is much superior to one. There's a video on their site showing how durable it is. I'm not sure why your phone broke.

At first I thought it was just glass but now I remember it is GG2 and can take a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.