iPhone 5 Hard Shell Cases Begin to Appear for Sale

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 22, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

New "iPhone 5" cases based on the leaked design document have started appearing online. True Supplier has posted a new "hard shell" case design for the iPhone 5, in addition to the soft case designs we'd seen previously.

These new cases show the same tapered back design of the leaked design document, as well as the mute switch being moved to the other side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We'd previously had renders made based on the design document. The general size and shape of the device should accurately reflect the leaked specs, but details such as the screen size and home button shape were based on the subjective choices of our artist.

[​IMG]

The production and sale of these cases suggests that at least some Chinese case manufacturers are confident enough in the leaked case design specifications that they are willing to gamble some amount of money in creating these early cases. There is an enormous financial incentive to have inventory on the launch day of any new Apple device, as Apple doesn't provide suppliers with detailed designs specifications until after the public launch of the device.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Hard Shell Cases Begin to Appear for Sale

2. macrumors newbie

Meh, I really hope it looks something like this. Although the general small size of the ear location is pretty bad.

3. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Here's a slightly different case with the headphone hole

[​IMG]

4. macrumors newbie

Looks a LOT like the...original iPhone.

5. macrumors member

tarproductions

Was the mute switch moved to the other side to prevent another anntenagate?

6. macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Today's just iPhone 5 day, isn't it?

7. macrumors 68000

looking good. fix the antennae and a redesign and ill be buying

8. macrumors 6502

I doubt the antenna will even be on the outside given the tapered design.

9. macrumors regular

I agree. Many people really liked the original iPhone design too. Does anyone know how they might get around having a piece of plastic to allow for 3G reception like the original iPhone and 3G iPads? It makes the devices seem so poorly thought through.

10. macrumors 6502a

lol, that last paragraph is literally from the Macrumors post with the original case leaks.

Okay, so it's looking the case makers believe the mute switch (or maybe another switch :eek:) has been relocated to the right. But the volume rockers seem the same size, and they're still on the left.

Extremely pleased with the tapered back though!

11. macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

So back to volume rockers instead of the split buttons? That kinda sucks. I like the four's buttons. But I'm buying iPhone 5 regardless. :)

12. macrumors 6502a

lol, the site (Truesupplier) has on sale iPhone 5 replacement batteries, camera modules with LEDs, proximity sensor cable, and the audio/volume flex cables on sale along with the cases...

Uhh.... not sure if I would give them my credit card info, but interesting.

13. macrumors 6502a

Djlild7hina

it looks awfully similar to a ipod touch case... haha but why would they move the mute switch to the other side?

14. macrumors regular

pewra

There's no way to 'work around' metal's conductivity, you're stuck with that design constraint.

15. macrumors 6502a

Well they could put the antenna on the outside of the phone body, and use a super-strong panel of glass for the back.;)

16. macrumors 603

Carlanga

I don't see this as a gamble; Making one of these probably costs like 2cents of plastic which they will later retail for $10-30 so its HUGE profits and I guess if the design changes they can just melt the plastic for re-use or sell it to a recycling plant and have no net loss...

17. macrumors newbie

Mute/Vibrate Switch

Mute/Vibrate switch is more than likely being moved to better support the added photo capture functionality in iOS 5. I have tried to push the switch instead of the volume up button more than once when trying to take a picture.

18. macrumors regular

Exactly, so why then is everyone assuming the renders that show a full metal back will work?

Sorry that this is off topic to the thread.

19. macrumors regular

pewra

It's not going to happen, the half-and-half look of the original iPhone wouldn't fly with Apple as it is now. It's entirely possible that they will remain with the external antenna design.

There was never an antenna problem with the iPhone 4.

20. macrumors 6502

I'm afraid even I can't believe that..we just got them at work and there clearly is if you dont have a case for them.

21. macrumors regular

Couldn't agree more

Couldn't disagree more. I used the free 'bumper' with mine for a week and didn't notice any difference. Other than that i've never had any issues and I don't use any case. (perhaps I'm just holding it correctly ;))
    I understand that workplaces often don't care too much about spending, but surely they would wait until the iPhone 5 came out before buying everyone one? Even if they didn't like it the iPhone 4 would be much cheaper...

22. macrumors 6502

Sadly I did tell them that, but here in the UK you don't get the phone free on the contract, until 12 months after release.

So we got the handsets for free, which I don't think you can get them for cheaper... ;) besides the guys 3GS's were dying on their arse battery wise.

Maybe I could have phrased my antenna issue more succinctly, which is that in comparison to the 3GS, in a room for room test has far better signal than the 4. Also bridging that gap makes the signal drop like Katie Prices knickers at a mano a mano competition.

23. macrumors regular

pewra

There's no issue, only the perception of an issue.

I have used an iPhone 4 for 10 months now, never had one dropped call, and only have signal issues when I'm in the underground (as everyone does). I know of not one single person that has had any 'signal issues' with their iPhone 4. Most are not even aware of this 'antennagate' crap.

Just a couple of blogs making a whole lot of noise.

24. macrumors 6502a

There is no reason this can't be the next gen iPod touch case.

25. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

It very much depends on your geographic location, which is why you and your neighbors might not have issue.

I use the iPhone 4 without a case, but in low signal areas, like my house, I have to be aware of how I am holding it, as I can cause the signal to drop out completely.

arn