iPhone 5 Home Button Improved?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djtech42, Nov 2, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

djtech42

Did Apple improve the home button? The home button wore out on my iPhone 4 near the end of its 2 year cycle. I have an iPhone 5 now, and the home button is a lot more responsive so far, although that is because the phone is new. Will the home button wear out after 1 and a half years again, or did Apple improve the design of the home button?

Note: I used to be pretty obsessive about closing apps on my 4, so that meant double-clicking the home button all the time. I haven't been doing this on the 5 because the increased RAM and A6 manages multitasking better. Hopefully, this means it will last longer.

2. macrumors regular

I like it better than all previous versions (I've had each iteration of the iPhone). It has more of a "click" feel to it and I find it easier to double push it. My 4S was spongy and didn't always register a push. I haven't had that issue on the 5.

I assume they've improved it but I don't think it would be easy to confirm unless one of the teardown sites has mentioned it.

3. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

They said they improved it but we will see down the road.
    So far mine is perfect too.

4. macrumors 6502

Mine is also fine - it has an oddly satisfying deep click to it. Whether or not it holds up after 1-2 years of use; only time will tell.

5. macrumors 6502a

Minhimalism

Love the feel of the new home button, but I wish I had Zephyr :p

6. macrumors 65816

JaySoul

Anything brand new is going to feel better than the old one that stopped working.

Time is the only true test.

7. macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

they supposedly improved the 4S home button too, and at least for me that has proven true. My fiance has my old 4S now, and its still as clicky and responsive as it was when brand new.

8. macrumors G5

Macman45

Can't say that I've noticed a difference, although it does feel a little firmer, but that's probably because it's new.

9. macrumors 65816

Beeplance

If you're truly that afraid of damaging your home button in the long term, use Assistive Touch. It's located under accessibility in Settings, comes up with a virtual home button for you.

10. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I have been using the touch home button/lock/mute etc... :D

11. macrumors regular

My 3GS the home button was sturdy when I sold it however my 4s was well light to press when I sold that. The five certainly feels better but time will tell.

12. macrumors 65816

Jare

My home button hasn't fared very well and I'm quite gentle with it. Seems to be "more pushed in" now and my pushes are slowly getting harder and harder to compensate for the fact that it feels like it's getting weaker and weaker.

iPhone 5 ^