Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onemantribe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
I recently swapped iPhone 5's with a family member and I recently noticed something off with their home button. The home button still works, but it's gotten quite annoying, even though it's a small issue.

When I apply pressure to the button, I sometimes hear a "cracking" noise. It's not loud but it's distinct. When I fully press down on another iPhone, it's firm. When I press down on mine, it's not "smooth" per se. It's kind of rough and has that cracking sound. It isn't all the time but it happens often enough for me to notice. I scheduled a genius bar appointment earlier, and while waiting I played around with the display models. The home buttons felt firm when pushed, and when i applied slight pressure it felt smooth and no "cracking" noise. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but it definitely feels off.

The technician who helped me told me it felt the way it should, so he told me to pay another visit if it stopped working or some other problem. Have any of you had this issue before?

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
My iPhone 5 is fine, but what you described is exactly how my girlfriends home button feels. I think something somehow got stuck underneath the button.

onemantribe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
My iPhone 5 is fine, but what you described is exactly how my girlfriends home button feels. I think something somehow got stuck underneath the button.

That's what I'm thinking. I swapped with a family member and needless to say they were kind of careless with taking care of their phone.

----------

same here, sometimes i fell some cracking while pressing home button, sometimes not.

Yeah sometimes the button is fine and then it'll start acting up again.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I had the same thing with my home button actually, and the Genius I took it to repaired it straight away. You might want to try a different apple store, or go to the apple store on a different day/time.

onemantribe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
I had the same thing with my home button actually, and the Genius I took it to repaired it straight away. You might want to try a different apple store, or go to the apple store on a different day/time.

That's what I'm going to do. I feel like he was hesitant to do anything with it because it still worked fine.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
That's what I'm going to do. I feel like he was hesitant to do anything with it because it still worked fine.

That's unfortunate. A button making odd sounds, IME, is a sign that it is going to go soon, or at least sooner than a "normal" button. I am reading more and more about warranties being denied for things that, in the past, would get you a new unit in a second. Wondering if Apple is getting more strict here.

onemantribe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
That's unfortunate. A button making odd sounds, IME, is a sign that it is going to go soon, or at least sooner than a "normal" button. I am reading more and more about warranties being denied for things that, in the past, would get you a new unit in a second. Wondering if Apple is getting more strict here.

This is my first time having a problem with an Apple product so I really don't have any clue. The technician just keep pressing the home button, and bringing out two other phones and making me compare between them. Not much of a difference but you could definitely tell mine had a crunchy sort of sound/feeling when pressed.

jaywsgz

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2013
I had the same thing with my home button actually
5f1.jpg

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Home buttons can be either "clicky" clicky or "soft" clicky. Variation happens. If it works then let it be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.