Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rxllrn

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
I've had my iPhone 5 since launch day and have kept it in a case since. However, when I took off my case today to clean the phone and when I pressed on the top right corner, I could see the screen move down and I could hear a clicking noise. My phone, otherwise, has been perfect, except for a small scuff on the antenna band that has been there since it came out of the box but I've learned to deal with it.

I have a Genius Bar appointment for tomorrow and I was wondering if they could tighten the screen so that it would inhibit the moving and clicking.

My last resort would be a replacement, and I have my worries about it. First of all, will I get a refurbished phone (even if I bring my accessories)? I am also worried about the replacement phone being on 6.0.1 because I don't want to lose my chance at a jailbreak. Lastly, I have spent hefty amounts on my screen protectors and buying another set for a new phone would be an expensive compromise.

So, is it worth going to the Genius Bar for this issue? Has anyone experienced this issue? If so, what has been your experience in trying to solve this problem?

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
I've read that simply removing the screen and reassembling it can fix the clicking screen. I don't know if a Genius would do that though, they probably will replace it.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
you don't need us to decide if you should go to the genius bar or not.

another classic teenager (with a dream) troll by tymaster

see below.. he had questions that only the board can answer..

I am also worried about the replacement phone being on 6.0.1 because I don't want to lose my chance at a jailbreak. Lastly, I have spent hefty amounts on my screen protectors and buying another set for a new phone would be an expensive compromise.

So, is it worth going to the Genius Bar for this issue? Has anyone experienced this issue? If so, what has been your experience in trying to solve this problem

OP i dont think you have to worry about getting 6.0.1.. the ipad minis are shipping with 6.1. Also, to be honest most reps are pretty cool about jailbreaking (at least here at my store..ive turned in jb devices and they could care less replacing them..) i would think if you explained to them you dont want a device with 6.0.1.. and your replacement has 6.0.1 they would just let you keep your original.

that all being said..
like the above [helpful] poster said i've read that a lot of stores will refit your screen and it solves the issue..no replacement needed.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
another classic teenager (with a dream) troll by tymaster

see below.. he had questions that only the board can answer..

OP i dont think you have to worry about getting 6.0.1.. the ipad minis are shipping with 6.1. Also, to be honest most reps are pretty cool about jailbreaking (at least here at my store..ive turned in jb devices and they could care less replacing them..) i would think if you explained to them you dont want a device with 6.0.1.. and your replacement has 6.0.1 they would just let you keep your original.

that all being said..
like the above [helpful] poster said i've read that a lot of stores will refit your screen and it solves the issue..no replacement needed.
If the screen is loose and the phone has been in the case the whole time then there is no question about going to the genius bar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
make a appointment at the Genius Bar, they will swap it out for a new one no questions asked.

rxllrn

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
I went this morning and it was a horrible experience. When I first walked in, I checked in with a genius and I told him my issue, he proceeded then to try and replicate the issue with success. He said that they should be able to do something about it and that I should wait for another genius to work with me.

So I wait and I meet with another worker and first thing he says to me is "I don't hear it, there's nothing wrong with your phone". I tell him to try again (mind you, its a very noisy environment in an Apple Store), I ask if he wants to listen to it in the back room, and he doesn't. After a while, he says "I can hear a very FAINT click". He especially put emphasis on the word "faint". I ask if he can tighten the screen, and hesitantly says he will try.

He comes back and hands me the phone and asks me if I'm satisfied. He says that he did open it and fiddled around with it, and in a very condescending tone said, "But I don't hear or see the difference". It was still in fact there, and we have a long discussion about alternatives.

So he finally agrees to take me out a replacement and when I inspected the phone, there were two dents on the phone and I ask if he would kindly get another phone and to check it so that we wouldn't have to keep switching. He very hesitantly agreed and went back to get another one.

He comes back to hand me the second replacement and I inspected it again and at the top of the phone was a red stain and it would not come off. He told me that it was "very microscopic". We went on to try and settle this and after a while he tells me "Well, the people in China that create these phones are human, they're bound to be not perfect" and then he proceeds to tell me that he's "spent too much time" dealing with me and that 2 was the maximum amounts of replacements that he could do.

He also added that they only considered replacements for issues that would "otherwise prevent [me] from using my phone" like "cracks, etc." Now, I've just looked at Apple's website and found this: "Apple Inc....warrants the Apple-branded iPhone...hardware product and accessories contained in the original packaging (“Apple Product”) against defects in materials and workmanship when used normally in accordance with Apple's published guidelines for a period of ONE (1) YEAR".

Another thing, I looked in his iPad and he put in that the issue was not able to be replicated and that he only did the replacements for "customer satisfaction". I find this ironic, as he even acknowledged the issue and I am not a single bit satisfied with his attitude towards me.

So, I just said I'll keep my phone. It was not worth fixing an issue only to have another one be there. He then, mumbled "I'm sorry I couldn't help you" and walked away, not waiting for a response from me.

So here I am now, still with a defective phone. I don't know what I should do. Any ideas?

jkim3691

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Mine was the same way when I first got it. I didn't bother asking for a replacement because of all the possible problems. My phone was pretty much perfect other than that. I no longer have the problem anymore. It's not a big deal anyways.

rxllrn

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Mine has not been the case. There has been scuffs and dents on my phone and I've learned to deal with those. This just added to the stack.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Not sure if you opted for it or not but call AppleCare.

At best you have 90 days complimentary AppleCare tech support. Although be prepared for them to place a temp hold on a CC if they ship a replacement.

Is there any way you can go to a diff Apple Store?

I feel your pain brother. I got burned w/ a piss poor Genius one visit myself.

rxllrn

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Not sure if you opted for it or not but call AppleCare.

At best you have 90 days complimentary AppleCare tech support. Although be prepared for them to place a temp hold on a CC if they ship a replacement.

Is there any way you can go to a diff Apple Store?

I feel your pain brother. I got burned w/ a piss poor Genius one visit myself.

When they send me a replacement, will it be a brand new phone or a refurbished? Anyway, I don't think I'll be able to deal with the CC issue.

I was thinking about just revisiting again and maybe be lucky to get a nice genius.

dominion155

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
When they send me a replacement, will it be a brand new phone or a refurbished? Anyway, I don't think I'll be able to deal with the CC issue.

I was thinking about just revisiting again and maybe be lucky to get a nice genius.

Its luck of the draw, could be either. You wont be able to tell anyways, as the refurbs apple does are almost the exact same as new ones.

You can also set it up so you send them your phone, and then once they receive it they send you a new one instead of doing the hold on CC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.