Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deteria

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Dallas, TX
Sprint LTE should be fairly good, depending on the city you are in. Sprint recently switched over to LTE and most of their older "4G" phones were WIMAX, which are incompatible with LTE. So technically, there are only a handful of phones from Sprint that can use LTE, thus speeds should be pretty decent.

I personally am coming over from Androids and as you guys know, LTE been around for quite some time for Androids. So I've searched on XDA-Developers and I've seen Sprint LTE speedtest screenshots. I can say DFW/Houston ppl are avg ~30-35mbps down and ~10-15 mbps up. Then again, YMMV depending on location.

erzeszut

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
Verizon here in Birmingham, AL. Getting 14M down, 8.2 up on the test I just ran.

As a comparison, my last non-LTE 4G test on my iPhone 4S (ATT) was 9.5 down, 1.7 up.

mryanwalker

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
Almost 20 in NW Houston sitting at the same desk where my 3G was so slow it would just time out. Could not be more pleased.

The price to upgrade is worth it just for the LTE itself.

schizbomb

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Texas
I guess it depends where you live. I tested it several times. In downtown San antonio I got those speeds. As I drove out of town to San Marcos I ran a few tests and was consistently getting 30mb down and 30 up between San Antonio and San Marcos and also in San Marcos.

AT&T has a strong presence in Texas and has a lot of towers here due to the fact that there aren't many hills it is easier to have good signal everywhere.

Another reason I read is that AT&T has a much better backhaul on their LTE than Verizon. Verizon opted for rapid expansion vs. fastest possible speeds because their 3G was severely behind AT&T HSPA.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Another reason I read is that AT&T has a much better backhaul on their LTE than Verizon. Verizon opted for rapid expansion vs. fastest possible speeds because their 3G was severely behind AT&T HSPA.

Yet another reason to go with ATT. Also if you aren't somewhere with LTE or happen to travel a lot, then the hspa will be really beneficial because you will consistently get 5mb download speeds versus 1mb on verizon if not in LTE area

schizbomb

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Texas
Yet another reason to go with ATT. Also if you aren't somewhere with LTE or happen to travel a lot, then the hspa will be really beneficial because you will consistently get 5mb download speeds versus 1mb on verizon if not in LTE area

Word. Weathered the bad service storm of 08-'10 and not AT&T is freaking flying for me.

xak

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
anyone test AT&T LTE in Sacramento? it was supposedly just recently brought online and I won't have an LTE phone till Oct 5.

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Verizon LTE, Metro Detroit Area
Razr Maxx - normally 1.6MB/s or 12.8Mb/s
iPhone 5 - so far averaging 2.3MB/s or 18.4Mb/s

This is not with a speedtest, this is downloading on my laptop over tether. This is also after 30GB transferred so far in this billing cycle and on what should be one of the busiest LTE days for Verizon.

I'm definitely happy with this. Way more than my phone would ever need and good enough for my laptop to replace most WiFi connections.

Do you have a separate tethering plan (2GB for $20/month)? I'm going to assume you have the unlimited data plan. If you were tethering with the unlimited data plan, how were you able to do so without jailbreaking?

I just bought a Verizon model for full price but haven't opened it yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.