iPhone 5 LTE tether without jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NovemberWhiskey, Sep 12, 2012.

1. macrumors 68000

NovemberWhiskey

Hi.

It's been a while since I've had an iphone, and I was wondering if there are any free apps in the market that will allow you to tether Verizon LTE without restriction/pay. I read the FCC banned Verizon from blocking tethering apps.

I don't want to jailbreak as I've always had problems following jailbreak.

I'm thinking of switching back to the iphone from Android, and this is the only thing holding me back. Free tethering on Android has always worked flawlessly for me, so I would like to have a reliable tether.

2. macrumors G5

jav6454

There are several tethering apps for the iPhone. However, the problem is getting the jailbreak.

3. macrumors 6502a

You can tether over 4G on Verizon's new share plans without additional fees. It's included.

4. macrumors 6502a

JasonR

That won't work with unlimited data plans, unfortunately.

5. macrumors 65816

I am sure that the jailbreak for it will be out very soon

6. macrumors 6502a

OP didn't mention unlimited, just offering a solution. I'm on unlimited as well. :)

7. thread starter macrumors 68000

NovemberWhiskey

I don't want to jailbreak, and I am on an unlimited plan.

I thought that there would be some legal apps in the market after the FCCs ruling. Or did I misinterpret that or does Apple block those apps.

8. macrumors 68040

What do you want to tether to?

9. thread starter macrumors 68000

NovemberWhiskey

?

I want to be able to broadcast my own wireless signal from my phone so I can connect my laptop/tablet and use LTE on the go.

I found it invaluable on a recent roadtrip I took, and it's always nice to have at airports without wifi.

I just re-read the settlement between Verizon and the FCC, and it appears that there is no restriction on Verizons part for free third party apps. The only question is whether Apple will approve these for use on the app store.

10. macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Ah, you're right. I'm hoping for some sort of solution as I would really love LTE speeds on my Macbook Air. :D

11. macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Unfortunately Apple blocks the apps themselves.

Surely on the carriers behalf. :rolleyes:

12. thread starter macrumors 68000

NovemberWhiskey

:rolleyes: Cmon Apple...

13. macrumors regular

the FCC ruling only applies to phones on tiered data plans. unlimited plans are not included under net neutrality and thus verizon can still charge you for tethering.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57484000-38/verizon-to-pay-$1.25m-fcc-fine-forced-to-allow-tethering-apps/

14. macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

You will have to wait and jailbreak your phone and use tetherme or some other tethering app. Preferably one that uses the phone's data apn rather than the tethering one.

15. macrumors 6502

There's no other solutions? Jail breaking just seems like a big nightmare.

16. macrumors 68040

thadoggfather

If you grabbed those apps with tether Easter eggs before they got pulled from App Store sync it from iTunes. Like disco recorder. But doesn't work on anything but pc and Mac for tethering (not possible with other devices)

17. macrumors 603

Some time ago there were apps that somehow made it through Apple's approval process that were specifically tethering apps. They still work on the iPhone 5 as far as I'm aware, but if you didn't download them at the time, there's no way to get them now.

So the answer is that there is no way to do it for new users.

18. macrumors regular

Stupid question, since I am in the same boat. Is there a way to change the tethering APN with iPhone Configuration Utility? I peeked at it just now but did't have the option. Maybe, just maybe changing the APN would give us a tethering loophole?

19. macrumors 6502

I hate Verizon's Nazi tethering plans. If I have unlimited data then I should be able to transfer that data to any of my devices at no additional cost.

20. macrumors newbie

That's what the new plans are for. Using data on as many devices as you want. Verizon includes tethering in the new plans.

21. macrumors regular

Some plans in the U.S. don't allow tethering? In Australia all plans allow tethering. We just don't do unlimited data here.

22. macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah the unlimited plans don't allow tethering.

23. macrumors regular

I just wish we had unlimited data plans in Australia.

24. macrumors Core

alphaod

Well we no longer sign up for unlimited data plans either and some carriers throttle after a certain point. Right now AT&T throttles after 5GB.

25. macrumors regular

We never had unlimited data plans to start off with. Throttling? No carriers in Australia do that. Throttling should only occur with fixed broadband connections.