Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.::Craig::.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Hi, Long time forum reader but never registered till now.

Got my iPhone 5 16GB Black/Slate yesterday direct from Apple. At first I was very happy as it would appear that I had no problems with scratches / chips. I did come to notice a slight mark on the back panel but nothing to worry about.

Anyway getting to the point. Today I was playing some music and I enabled the "shake to shuffle" option to try it out and I discovered that near the camera / flash on the back something is making a lose/rattle noise.

Is this normal? Does that happen to anyone else or is it something I should be concerned about?

Thanks

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
The 4S had a similar rattle. There's something inside, the compass or something, and it should subside in intensity as you use the phone. Someone here can explain better

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
The 4S had a similar rattle. There's something inside, the compass or something, and it should subside in intensity as you use the phone. Someone here can explain better

Well it's not the compass :p
I've never owned an iPhone until now, but the most likely culprit in my mind is the vibration motor.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I never noticed it on my 4S.

I googled "iphone 4s rattle issue" and most seem to say that its the camera lens.

Somebody said this. "Hold your iPhone so that it's upright and tap near the camera lens on the back. You'll hear the same rattling sound."

Can you try that and let me know if yours does the same?

Thanks again

Davewithak

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
Thanks for the replies. I never noticed it on my 4S.

I googled "iphone 4s rattle issue" and most seem to say that its the camera lens.

Somebody said this. "Hold your iPhone so that it's upright and tap near the camera lens on the back. You'll hear the same rattling sound."

Can you try that and let me know if yours does the same?

Thanks again

My iPhone 4S did the same thing and I researched it when I got it last year and came to the conclusion that it was the camera. Same case with the 5 :)

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks guys, That's what I thought but you want to be sure when you are spending £530+ :eek:

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
I read that its something to do with how the lens have to be loose and not 100% fixed into place. I imagine its something to do with light passing through...?

Its not an issue for me personally I just wanted to make sure it was not just my phone :)

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
Why does the camera need to rattle?

In order for a camera to have true auto focus, it needs the lens to be suspended via magnets. To keep it stabilised so it doesn't rattle you would need very large, heavy and more powerful magnets. Obiously this isn't portable enough for something like an iphone so they settled for the compact but rattling camera.

Abandapart82

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008
Mine does it too. Not a big deal since the phone is pretty much flawless, no scuffs or anything on this black beauty.

Scott300hp

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
Just found this thread as I was wondering the same. My iPhone 5 came on Monday this week and this rattling noise was the only concern I had and still have. After reading this, I'm relieved to find out that others are experiencing the same noise and even more relieved to to find out that the camera is the cause. I did just as another user posted..... I tapped on the back of the unit at the top close to the camera to hear the rattle. It doesn't take much. Just glad my new phone isn't defective.

vipJj123

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
My iPhone 5 rattles, but if I hold the power button while shaking it, the rattle stops.

vipJj123

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
My iPhone 5 rattles, but if I hold the power button while shaking it, the rattle stops.

vipJj123

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.