Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eaglefox12

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Hi, Long time forum reader but never registered till now.

Got my iPhone 5 16GB Black/Slate yesterday direct from Apple. At first I was very happy as it would appear that I had no problems with scratches / chips. I did come to notice a slight mark on the back panel but nothing to worry about.

Anyway getting to the point. Today I was playing some music and I enabled the "shake to shuffle" option to try it out and I discovered that near the camera / flash on the back something is making a lose/rattle noise.

Is this normal? Does that happen to anyone else or is it something I should be concerned about?

Thanks

The difference between rattling noise in my experience is that... if you just tap near the camera and if it rattles, that is normal...
but if you shake it near your ear, and it rattles... that's not normal...
I had my first iphone5 that rattled when I shook it (even a gentle side to side motion)... the genius there said it's the power button...
The replacement I got now does not make any noise except when I tap he back camera.

Kon33

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
I just got back from Apple and my rattle was a loose battery. They took it in the back and pressed the battery firmly into place.
No more rattle. :)

Andrew83Ga

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
I have the rattle too but it's def. the power button, unless there are 2 separate things rattling. Should I exchange it? Phone seems to work just fine. If I tap it, it rattles, if I shake it, it rattles. But i can feel the power button moving.

My problem is that I don't have an Apple store in my city, just best buy.

I can handle the rattling if it's not a real issue. The sound doesn't bother me, but if it could be something more, how do I go about it? Mail it...?

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I have the rattle too but it's def. the power button, unless there are 2 separate things rattling. Should I exchange it? Phone seems to work just fine. If I tap it, it rattles, if I shake it, it rattles. But i can feel the power button moving.

My problem is that I don't have an Apple store in my city, just best buy.

I can handle the rattling if it's not a real issue. The sound doesn't bother me, but if it could be something more, how do I go about it? Mail it...?

Do you have any idea on how many iPhone 4S's have loose/rattling power buttons? Some just are loose. As long as it works, your good to go.

Andrew83Ga

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
Do you have any idea on how many iPhone 4S's have loose/rattling power buttons? Some just are loose. As long as it works, your good to go.

Good. I'm actually one of the few that doesn't want to go through the hassle and don't care about the rattling as long as i know it's superficial.

By the way, for future reference, what would I do if I had an issue? As I said no genius bar here in Savannah. Just best buy and Im guessing we have some authorized apple repair shop here as well, albiet not an apple store. Kinda confused on what I'd do to take care of an issue under apple's warranty.
Thanks

iBaloney

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Just took mine to the Genius Bar. They confirmed it was a loose camera as swapped it out with a brand new one...which still had a loose camera. Going back in a few days to swap another

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
Goto the apple store and shake every iphone 5, I think most if not all should rattle. The White ones seem to rattle less for some reason, maybe just the production line differences

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Just took mine to the Genius Bar. They confirmed it was a loose camera as swapped it out with a brand new one...which still had a loose camera. Going back in a few days to swap another

Good luck. Save yourself the time, headache, ans stress and stop at #2. They all do it, some to lesser degrees than others. But they all do it. If everything else is fine on the device, I would recommend stopping at #2 lest you get one without a rattle but some other, more severe defect.

RTbar

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
Good luck. Save yourself the time, headache, ans stress and stop at #2. They all do it, some to lesser degrees than others. But they all do it. If everything else is fine on the device, I would recommend stopping at #2 lest you get one without a rattle but some other, more severe defect.

mine doesn't rattle at all

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
mine doesn't rattle at all

hopefully your auto-focus is working properly (as the rattle is a design implication) and your hearing is OK. Every single 4s and 5 that I've ever touched has had a rattle near the camera lens to some degree.

RTbar

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
hopefully your auto-focus is working properly (as the rattle is a design implication) and your hearing is OK. Every single 4s and 5 that I've ever touched has had a rattle near the camera lens to some degree.

My autofocus works fine, so I am a bit concerned that I may be losing my hearing... I just made an appointment with my ENT thanks for the heads up

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
My autofocus works fine, so I am a bit concerned that I may be losing my hearing... I just made an appointment with my ENT thanks for the heads up

Good call.

You could ask someone else to tap the back just below the camera and listen for the rattle.

Who cares if it's there though? If it works fine...

It's my experience that the majority of them make some kind of rattle noise. As stated, I have yet to find one that is SILENT (and I've tested a lot of them). If it makes noise and you don't hear it but it works fine... sweet!

Andru1313

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Mine Rattles something awful. I tried to have it replaced and apple genius told me it was normal it actually was the vibrate motor. I am going to try to get it swapped again. The rattle has gotten worse and everytime I am on the phone the buzz is awful and even rattles when I have the call on speaker phone. def not normal.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
My first phone rattled quite a bit. If you shook it lightly you could hear the rattle quite a bit. New one is better since the only way you hear the rattle is by tapping that back of the phone gently. However, it no longer rattles from just moving it around so I am happier. Not happy to hear the rattle still, but happier.

iBaloney

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010

the way i see it is that if the Genius acknowledges that its an issue that warrants a brand new swap and has no problem with swapping it out until I find one that I am satisfied with, why not take advantage of it? I forked over several hundred dollars for a top quality product and I am entitled to said product.

...if they were adamant about not swapping, then i'd just go home happy. So either way, win/win.

I am disappointed that this issue has not been formally addressed by apple just to clear up the confusion. Given that many - especially apple employees, claim its either 1) the vibrating motor, 2) the lock button, 3) loose camera.

Eastbay

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
Brand new one. Power button rattles. Sometimes it doesn't. But it is definetly the power button. Also, this thing gets hot.

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
My camera lens rattles. Doesn't bother me though. Where I work 4 people besides me have the new iPhone. Every single one rattles in some way. Either the camera or the power button.

Howlly Shooter

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2013
iPhone 5 annoying rattling sound

Guys, Im having the same problem!! :"(

I have recently bought my iPhone 5, and then suddenly I noticed that when shaking it is making a little rattle, its kind of something is loose inside it. I've hold down the sleep, silent, + and - buttons while shaking and still making this rattle sound. I'm certain its something inside it, like the accelerometer, compass, or any other, and it has never fell down to the ground.

Once this iphone is still under Apple's Limited Warranty, i must exchange it with a new one, or apple wouldn't accept to exchange an iphone just for a noise?

thanks !

PollyK

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
My first one rattled, then my replacement didn't. 3 months later, it's rattling again. Don't care anymore, phone still works fine.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Slight light rattle near camera normal. As others said, it's the auto focus lens. Thud like a brick inside is moving around-not normal. Means the battery adhesive tape has come loose. Apple can fix that in 10 minutes at the Apple store.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Slight light rattle near camera normal. As others said, it's the auto focus lens. Thud like a brick inside is moving around-not normal. Means the battery adhesive tape has come loose. Apple can fix that in 10 minutes at the Apple store.

yeah, I also got the annoying rattle. I can't figure it out if its the vibration motor or the camera, but it feels like it's coming from top left corner (viewed from the front).

RetroBoy1993

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2013
I know it's a bit late but I had my 4S today and I have the same thing. I admit I have a little bit of ocd but I only really notice when I'm in a really quite enviroment. Other than that I don't even hear it when outdoors or in a loud area :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.