Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdeepfjj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Hi, i'm a new poster to these forums.
Since using my iPhone 5 for about 2 days now i have noticed the music volume in music player is significantly quieter through my beats by dr.dre headphones than on my iPod touch 2nd gen...

I'm wondering if this is hardware or software issue as I've heard others in Europe are having the same problem. I'm currently on iOS 6.0.1 which is an update from the original iOS 6 which is scary for me as i would have thought if it was a software issue it would have been resolved in this update. However i am no expert in this field.

If anyone else has this problem feel free to post and let me know what you think it is, maybe a new sound chip or something? Anyway if this cannot be fixed in the next iOS update i will be extremely unhappy with this as i listen to music on my iPod everyday and i was hoping to be able to convert to iPhone 5 with no troubles and even thought of enhanced audio out and louder/better quality audio but nope. Anyway that's all :)

Last edited:

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I've gone from a 4S to a 5 and the sound level is even higher in my opinion with the headphones I use. That said Dr. Dre Beats are probably one of the worst and most over priced brand of headphones out there so that doesn't help you.

jdeepfjj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Surely you can't care about how your music sounds too much anyway if you listen through Beats

Is this a joke? Because if it is i'm not amused. Of course i care about my music, i'm a music lover and that's why i posted this in the first place, moreover if the volume is too low i can't enjoy the full potential of songs etc.

----------

I've gone from a 4S to a 5 and the sound level is even higher in my opinion with the headphones I use. That said Dr. Dre Beats are probably one of the worst and most over priced brand of headphones out there so that doesn't help you.

Like i said i'm no expert in this field and so i picked beats over bose which i regret greatly in terms of sound quality. Moreover the funny thing is i listen to a song in music player and the compare to the same song on youtube in safari and i find it louder.. so i'm hoping this is a software issue. And what headphones do you use then? And are you listening through the music player?

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Have you tried any other headphones to determine that it really is your phone? You might have defective headphones. Have you tried going into itunes on your computer and boosting the sound levels for the songs you want boosted and then sync again? There is an equalizer on the iphone you can adjust too. Also make sure volume limit is not on.

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
Are you sure it's the exact same file when you play it through Safari? Weird, nonetheless. Sounds like a software cap to me if it doesn't occur everywhere.

Just to make sure... Go to Settings/Music/Volume Limit. Check what the max volume is.

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
OP, welcome to these macrumor boards. I have nothing to offer with regard to your query. However, as you have already experienced, log in with thick skin. In large part, these boards are quite helpful.

jdeepfjj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Are you sure it's the exact same file when you play it through Safari? Weird, nonetheless. Sounds like a software cap to me if it doesn't occur everywhere.

Nope that's not the problem as i've checked all those such as volume limiter and volume checker and its not them + Yes, as its the same song i got onto my iPhone by using YouTube converter, i've even compared the songs i have bought of iTunes from my iPhone 5 to my iPod touch 2nd gen and hands down the iPod beats it in terms of max volume 0.0

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Is this a joke? Because if it is i'm not amused. Of course i care about my music, i'm a music lover and that's why i posted this in the first place, moreover if the volume is too low i can't enjoy the full potential of songs etc.

----------

Uhm.. what country are you in? I've heard the EU has put laws on volume or something. And like i said i'm no expert in this field and so i picked beats over bose which i regret greatly in terms of sound quality. Moreover the funny thing is i listen to a song in music player and the compare to the same song on youtube in safari and i find it louder.. so i'm hoping this is a software issue.

I'm in the UK. Yes there is a law that limits the maximum volume level on portable devices that use headphones but its the same for all such devices sold in the UK/EU. There should be no difference between your iPod Touch and iPhone as a consequence of that or iOS. Like I said if anything the maximum volume actually sounds higher on my iPhone 5 compared to my iPhone 4 with the same headphones listening to the same thing.

As for headphone brands Bose and Dr. Dre Beats are just as bad as each other for the most part. Both are way overpriced for what you get and whilst the Bose at least sound decent the Beats do not. There are several other brands which are far better quality and value for money. There are several threads here discussing just that.

jdeepfjj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Have you tried any other headphones to determine that it really is your phone? You might have defective headphones. Have you tried going into itunes on your computer and boosting the sound levels for the songs you want boosted and then sync again? There is an equalizer on the iphone you can adjust too. Also make sure volume limit is not on.

Uhm wouldn't that distort the sound quality by boosting the volume?

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA

If the sound file is already normalized to commercial levels, EQing it further will likely distort it. The problem here is the output stage.

jdeepfjj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
I suggest getting Sennheiser HD-25 II when the Beats break. ;)

----------

Not sure what it could be then... Maybe try a restore?

Well since i had the iPhone literally for 1-2 days i doubt that would fix it but if i receive no further help i might resort to that. Thanks anyway :)

----------

I'm in the UK. Yes there is a law that limits the maximum volume level on portable devices that use headphones but its the same for all such devices sold in the UK/EU. There should be no difference between your iPod Touch and iPhone as a consequence of that or iOS. Like I said if anything the maximum volume actually sounds higher on my iPhone 5 compared to my iPhone 4 with the same headphones listening to the same thing.

As for headphone brands Bose and Dr. Dre Beats are just as bad as each other for the most part. Both are way overpriced for what you get and whilst the Bose at least sound decent the Beats do not. There are several other brands which are far better quality and value for money. There are several threads here discussing just that.

Yes you have already mentioned most of this before, as for some of this i have to disagree. And as of curiosity what headphones are you using then?

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Well since i had the iPhone literally for 1-2 days i doubt that would fix it but if i receive no further help i might resort to that. Thanks anyway :)

----------

Yes you have already mentioned most of this before, as for some of this i have to disagree. And as of curiosity what headphones are you using then?

I use Bowers & Wilkins P5 headphones.

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
FYI, I had an issue on my iPhone 4 where the soundstage totally collapsed and would get isolated in the middle. Thought it was my earphones until I tried a few different pairs. A restore ended up fixing the issue.

jdeepfjj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
FYI, I had an issue on my iPhone 4 where the soundstage totally collapsed and would get isolated in the middle. Thought it was my earphones until I tried a few different pairs. A restore ended up fixing the issue.

Yes but that ain't about the max volume right?

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
IMO I've always thought the sound quality on Apples portables such as iPhones, iPods etc, etc and not as good as other devices. I would love it, it they included a new sound chip or something to improve the sound quality ! Just book an appointment with your local genius team at Apple Store and they will be able to determine the fault. Take your beats down along with your old iPhone, and make sure you have the same music File on both devices!

Another thought is your music downloaded via iTunes ? Otherwise I would check the bit rate of your music to ensure its nothing rubbish !

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I did read a review which stated that the iPhone 5 outputs slightly quieter audio level than previous generation iPhones. I don't know if that's true or not. But I do know that iPhone 5 on maximum volume with Beats is loud as HELL. I don't know why you find it insubstantial.

jdeepfjj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
I did read a review which stated that the iPhone 5 outputs slightly quieter audio level than previous generation iPhones. I don't know if that's true or not. But I do know that iPhone 5 on maximum volume with Beats is loud as HELL. I don't know why you find it insubstantial.

Haha, i have to disagree there. On my iPod touch 2nd gen and on laptop itunes, yes its loud and great to listen to! However on the iPhone 5 when i sync up all the same songs they are around 10-20% quieter and is noticeable quieter than any other apple device i have used.. IMO the max volume on the iPhone 5 is not high enough for me :)

----------

No, I'm just saying a restore fixed my sound output issue.

Okay thanks i'm attempting a restore right now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.