Iphone 5: Music Player Alternatives

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mackandproud, Mar 22, 2013.

1. mackandproud macrumors 6502

Jun 9, 2008
    While I am quite impressed with the sound quality of the new earpods, the sound quality of the iphone 5 is lacking. SQ is just ok.

I just listened to some songs on my macbook as well as the iphone5: comparing the same songs with the same bitrates, using the same headphones, and at the same volume (measured with a sound meter).

The macbook's SQ is vastly superior. The good news, I have a lot more room on my 16 GB phone, now that music files are not a storage priority. The 'bad' news is, I now need to buy a dedicated audio player.

Any suggestions?

edit: everything sounds worse on the iphone: the highs seem to have a sharp rolloff. Bass is ok. Dynamic range is mediocre.
  2. JetBlack7 macrumors 68000

May 14, 2011
    Groove 2

Track 8

Smart Player

These are the ones I can think off from the top of my head.
  3. VulchR macrumors 68000

Jun 8, 2009
    MyTunesPro works well, although the quality seems to go up and down as they add new updates. When I first used it, it felt like I had a new high-quality set of earphones. I wish Apple would by them out and incorporate their dynamic equalizer into iTunes and their music player.
  4. mackandproud thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 9, 2008
    Interesting suggestions.

I was actually thinking of a new device altogether rather than an ios app, such as an ipod.

What digital audio players have the best sound quality?
  5. mmp1964 macrumors newbie

Aug 8, 2011