iphone 5 nike + ipod

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tbluhp, Sep 21, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

to use the nike + ipod feature on iphone 5 is their any special nike equipment needed like the shoe sensor?

2. macrumors regular

Yes, that's all you need... the white and red round sensor you put in the underheel of your left Nike+ shoe.

3. macrumors regular

You actually don't even need the shoe sensor anymore of you're running outside as it tracks you using a GPS signal (and is fairly accurate doing so). You do need a shoe sensor if you are running on a treadmill though (or you can just manually enter your running data into the app).

4. macrumors regular

I think you're mistaking the different apps. To use the built-in Nike + iPod app that comes preinstalled, you will need a sensor regardless of your location or planned workout. There is a Nike+ app from the App Store that is free (and pretty hefty too, at more than 700 MB). That, indeed, will track your walk/run on a GPS signal and is accurate indeed.

5. macrumors 65816

Hammie

I use the Nike+ app (which I love) and it takes up less than 60MB on my iPhone. You can check app sizes by going to Settings > General > Usage.

6. macrumors regular

Yeah, I was talking about the GPS app. I figured that's the one that he was talking about now that its free in the App Store (used to be $2.99 I think). The GPS app takes up like 67mb of space.

7. macrumors regular

Yep... you're right. I was mistaking it with the Training app in terms of storage space (607 MB), while you're talking about the Running app. Sorry about that. Certainly a fantastic app with the built-in GPS tracking of your workout and in almost all ways, beats the built-in Nike + iPod app. It's almost like comparing the iPhone app to the iPod nano app.

8. macrumors newbie

nike + iPod

Hi,
    I had an iPhone 4 and used this all the time. Once I got my iPhone 5, a synced all apps but this app disappered. I am very frustrated as it does no longer appears in the app store. Any suggestions?

(Used the phone plus the sensor in the shoe as I run on treadmill and not outside.)

Thanks!

9. macrumors regular

I think if you go to iTunes store, it should remember the app so you can just re-install it to your iPhone. I was lucky to get it when it was free and I just had to install the app again. I think it's like $.99 or $1.99 now for the Nike+ app which is the one that tracks by GPS without having to get the sensor.

10. macrumors newbie

nike + iPod

Thanks for the response!
    After posting, I went for a run (treadmill) and used the nike + running. It worked well. It was just that i wanted to make use of the sensor in my shoes. However,could not re-install the old app.

11. macrumors newbie

You need to go into your settings and then find the Nike + iPod window and click on it and make sure that Nike + iPod button is set to ON.

12. macrumors newbie

You are a champ! Thanks a lot. Works a treat now.