iPhone 5 not recognized as device under My Computer

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cameljockey, Oct 31, 2012.

1. macrumors member

iTunes recognized it but nowhere to be seen as a portable device on My Computer.

I tried deleting everything and reinstalling but it still does not show up. Only shows up in iTunes.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. macrumors 6502

It has been awhile since I connected my iPhone to Windows but if I remember correctly, it will only show up as a connected device (outside of iTunes) if there is one or more pictures in the Camera Roll. That is because the only thing you can do with it as a connected device is to move a picture from the Camera Roll to the computer.

3. thread starter macrumors member

I have more than 50 pictures in my Camera Roll.
    It worked the first time I plugged it in but nothing shows up now.

It still works fine on iTunes.

I haven't done anything different on my computer.
    Weird.

Any other clues?

4. macrumors 6502

5. thread starter macrumors member

I've tried it, believe me.

This is kinda getting annoying to be honest, lol. I have stuff to do but my own ego of not being able to fix this is getting in the way...

6. macrumors newbie

I haven't done anything different on my computer. [​IMG]

7. macrumors newbie

I had the same problem - iPhone recognized by iTunes but not by the PC. Here's what worked for me: Make sure the phone is on, screen active, and camera roll is open before you plug it in with a USB cable. That makes the phone visible under "My Computer," as well as making it possible to select it as a device from which to import photos in Windows Photo Gallery.

8. macrumors newbie

It has been awhile since I connected my iPhone to Windows but if I remember correctly[​IMG]