iPhone 5 or the next one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by di1in, Feb 24, 2013.

  1. macrumors regular

    di1in

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2011
    #1
    I bought an iPhone 5 in Jan, but had it stolen from me a few days ago. I really want to buy another iphone, but with all the rumours pointing to a June release I'm confused as to whether I should wait a few more months for the next one.

    How much probable is it for Apple to launch it in June rather than the usual sep/Oct?
     
  2. macrumors 6502a

    quietstormSD

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2010
    Location:
    San Diego, CA
    #2
    It depends. What's your fall back phone? If there is a June release then all it would be is a bump in processor and camera
     
  3. Guest

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2010
    #3
    iPhone 5S will probably come out in June.

    With all the rumors circulating about an early release plus Galaxy S IV is coming in April.

    Apple would be dumb not to release the new iPhone as soon as they can.
     
  4. thread starter macrumors regular

    di1in

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2011
    #4
    My fall back phones are a fall back in time -- a Nokia X1 and a LG Optimus One P500. (need both because of battery issues with the LG).

    Considering the iPhone comes out in June, how long before unlocked devices are available? I live in India and I can't use a locked one from the US..
     
  5. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2013
    #5
    Hi, guys, I am new to this forums.
    In my eyes, If you have enough money, you can now get the iPhone 5. And when the iPhone 5s released, You can update your iPhone 5 to iphone 5s or iphone 6. Or you can sell the iphone 5 at ebay and then get the new iphone.
     
  6. macrumors 6502a

    R.Stoychev

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2012
    #6
    Buy another iphone 5 and then upgrade when the iphone 6 comes out ;)
     
  7. macrumors 6502

    lucasfer899

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2012
    Location:
    London
    #7
    I say buy the first number, and never the "s" version.
    So go;
    iPhone;
    3G
    skip 3GS
    then 4,
    Skip 4S
    then 5
    Skip 5S and so on :3
     
  8. macrumors 65832

    SR45

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2011
    Location:
    Florida
    #8
    Just the Opposite...

    Buy the 5S version since it may have some of the fixes for the issues the 5 had/has
     
  9. macrumors 68040

    bandofbrothers

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2007
    Location:
    Uk
    #9
    If one waited for what's new out around the corner, then one wouldn't end up making a purchase at all !
     
  10. macrumors 601

    Plymouthbreezer

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2005
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #10
    If you need a phone, get one now.

    I just upgraded to the 5 from a 4... Despite the fact the 5S will likely be here this summer. If you need a phone, get the best that's on the market when you're looking. It's not like it won't be useful in six months simply because there's something newer.
     
  11. macrumors 65832

    SR45

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2011
    Location:
    Florida
    #11
    However, if its just a few short months around the corner, I would not get one now and possibly miss out on perhaps some new improvements no matter how minor. If it were lets say 8 months out or longer, than I would get one now. If you have a phone that is working just fine now, I would wait it out. ;)
     
  12. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2013
    Location:
    OC, CA
    #12
    IMO buy now. Usually the "s" is only a minor upgrade in specs such as a better camera and processor which is not as important to me. But if it is for you then go ahead and wait. You can always sell later if a new one comes out and you would still get a good value on it.
     
  13. macrumors 6502a

    Commy1

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2013
    #13
    If you can wait, then get the 5S, but as it's been said already, it's not going to be anything special. Realistically the iPhone 5 is an incredible well built piece of tech and I can't see apple making it anymore remarkable.

    I think they'll put the A6X in it, maybe upgrade the camera and maybe make it available in more colors,that's it. I would get get the iPhone 5, you wouldn't miss out on much and you can get it now.
     
  14. macrumors 6502

    macMD

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2005
    Location:
    New York
    #14
    Since it was stolen, are you getting covered by your insurance, if not are you using your last upgrade or is this a full retail situation? That could make a bigger impact on your decision. Plus if you were happy with the iP5 and were not planning on getting the iP5S or whatever it will be called then I would say get the current model.

    For me my upgrades are not until early April, so given a possible June release I am waiting, I mean why not. If its looking to be September then I may be swayed but not sure. I am hoping Apple's crap quality control gets better and more under control on the next phone.
     
  15. thread starter macrumors regular

    di1in

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2011
    #15
    I guess I'll wait for 3 more months and get the next one.

    ----------

    Nope, didn't get time to get insurance on it :( it was a full retail purchase and i had it for less than two weeks.
     
  16. macrumors 6502

    macMD

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2005
    Location:
    New York
    #16
    Ouch, and I am sorry you didn't have insurance on it. Did you try find my iphone to locate it. Still sux.
     
  17. thread starter macrumors regular

    di1in

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2011
    #17
    Tried find my iPhone, but the phone remains offline. Probably they've reset it by now.

    Apple needs to integrate find my iphone with the imei and not just the apple id.
     
  18. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2012
    Location:
    LL22, UK
    #18
    how was it stolen?
     
  19. macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2008
    #19
    The 5 is everything I want from a hardware standpoint.
     

Share This Page