iPhone 5 Production Underway for an Expected Fall Launch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 14, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

According to Japanese blog Mac Otakara, the next generation iPhone has already gone into production in China. Mac Otakara cites reliable Chinese sources for the information.

For reference, Mac Otakara also cited similar sources when they reported that the iPad 3 first went into production in January 2012. The lead time between production and launch for the iPad 3 was approximately two months with an official launch date of March 16th, 2012. That could suggest that we could see the new iPhone as early as September, though the production timelines for the iPad and iPhone may differ significantly.

Meanwhile, the Wall Street Journal had previously reported that the iPhone 5 would begin production in June, and all signs have pointed to a September or October launch for the new iPhone.
    [​IMG]
    Leaked iPhone 5 parts have suggested Apple will be adopting a two-tone backing with a central metal panel. Mac Otakara reports that in the production models the back panel have a naked aluminum surface and a partially glass covered portion. They also note that a small hole that was seen between the lens and flash in the prototype parts is now absent.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Production Underway for an Expected Fall Launch

2. macrumors member

3. macrumors 6502a

Interesting. Still not sure how i feel on the two tone back. I expect it could look better when the finish product is released and we're not just relying on dodgy photos of prototype devices.

4. macrumors 601

macduke

September sounds good to me. I've been thinking they would go back to having the September event anyway. New iPods, iPhone, and a very small chance of a surprise iPad Mini? I must admit that after purchasing a Retina MacBook Pro, my wallet just isn't ready!

First world problems…lol.

5. macrumors member

This design is growing on me. Hope they are indeed thinking an earlier launch. Still rocking the 3gs and I am definitely in need of an upgrade!

6. macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

Twi tone back sounds ugly too me. But who knows what Apple has up their sleeve. Expected the Fall launch.

7. macrumors regular

Fidget08

My friend is friends with Tim. He said Tim told him it will come out this year. He's 100% right 60% of the time!

8. macrumors regular

easy4lif

your prob right since the iPhone took over the iPod music event time slot. Either way, for me planing tom get new ipod Touch when it comes out this fall

9. macrumors 6502a

Can we please stop calling it iPhone 5? It's the least sensible name possible for the 6th generation iPhone.

The New iPhone, iPhone 4G, and iPhone 6 all make more sense.

10. macrumors 68000

RawBert

iPhone 5 (6th generation) ...sounds odd.

Yeah, iPhone 6.

11. macrumors 6502a

Even though Apple's internal naming scheme will peg it as iPhone 5,1 :rolleyes:

12. macrumors 68020

Should be good. I'm really interested in how they'll introduce the bigger screen and how it will affect developers.

I really think apps for the current iPhone will run fine though, without modification.

Excited ^-^

13. macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

I still need to be sold on the two-tone back, but the the black antenna on some mockups is sleek.

[​IMG]

14. TennisandMusic

That doesn't make any sense.

15. macrumors 65816

iPhone 2G was the original.

16. macrumors 603

quagmire

It's the 6th. What is referred as the 2G is the original iPhone that came out in 2007. Some call it the 2G since it only used EDGE. The 3G came out in 2008, 3GS in 2009, 4 in 2010, and 4S 2011.

17. macrumors member

I'm happy to hear that it may release in Sep/Oct because my contract isn't up until Dec 12. When that's up, I can comfortably go to the store and request that my 3GS be unlocked, so I can use it overseas when I go to Venezuela, and then get my iPhone 5. Holllleeer!

18. macrumors newbie

huh? Neither of you are correct. The 1st iPhone was just "The iPhone". The 2nd was the 3G. The 3G was for the network technology, not 3rd gen. 3GS was for SPEED, 4 was for 4th gen, and 4S was for Siri.

The new one will be the 6th generation. They will NOT call it the iPhone 5 or iPhone 6. It will be called The New iPhone (aka 6th gen)

19. macrumors 6502a

/s

That pic must be the real deal. Just look at that updated Apple logo!

/s

20. macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

It's not an iphone 5

Good lord guys. This is getting so annoying. It's not an iPhone 5. It's the sixth generation iPhone. It will probably just be called the new iPhone. Why would it be iPhone 5? That's stupid. It's the sixth phone, running iOS 6.

21. macrumors 68000

kockgunner

I like how you showed how inconsistent Apple's naming convention is and then you confidently state that the iPhone will be called the New iPhone.

22. macrumors 6502a

Um, the 4 came out after the 3GS, and the 4 wasn't called the 5, so I'm pretty sure that if following their current pattern, the next iPhone will be called the 5.

23. macrumors regular

Crossing my fingers for september! Cause we all know that we're not getting one till october. Look at the Retina Macbook Pro 2-3 weeks. CROSS THOSE FINGERS LADYS!

24. macrumors 603

Rocketman

Tim Cook is the supply chain guy. He managed a two tier worldwide iPad3 rollout. I would expect a WORLDWIDE iPhone 5 rollout with massive release inventory to handle surge demand. Mid-October release.

On a pure supply chain basis this will be a thing of B-school studies for years.

And I was criticized for saying buy AAPL in July-August back in the dark days of April and May . . . .

Rocketman

25. macrumors 6502a

I refuse to believe that that atrocity is going to be the iPhone 5. I really hope it's just a red herring...

I'm expecting some new iPhone to come out this fall though, early upgrade anyone? lol.