iPhone 5 Quality Control Issues: Have they been fixed? (Nov 2012)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kelped, Nov 8, 2012.

1. macrumors member

It's November. Has Apple sorted out its quality control issues yet on the iPhone 5? Are people still receiving scratched and damaged phones out of the box?

2. macrumors 603

saving107

3. macrumors regular

4. Rocko1, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012

macrumors 68020

Rocko1

You know nothing.

Maybe the severely scratched units are not going out but the coating and build material are still subpar. It's an engineer snafu to use the aluminum grade they did. QC won't fix that.

5. macrumors 603

saving107

And yet Apple continues to sell the iPhone 5 as fast as they can make them.

6. macrumors regular

I think you mean "gaffe."

7. macrumors 6502

8. macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Yep, the sheep are lined up. Once in a while a sheep wakes up and then has to have his 5 replaced 2-9X to get one right.

9. macrumors 68000

Perfectly fine iPhone 5 here with no scratches. The anodized coating is tougher then rhe polycarbonate Android phones out there. My old GS3 had scratches on the back somehow even though i cleaned my phone and case every few days. Same method here and nothing on my 5, so i think the materials are more durable on the 5

10. macrumors 6502a

My phone was flawless as well. Got it on Nov 3rd

11. macrumors newbie

Not for me...or I'm just unlucky.
    On my third iPhone and there's a 0.4-5mm dent on the bezel and 2 tiny dents elsewhere, on top and bottom of the iPhone bezel. Also discolouration next to right antenna band.
    I'm seriously considering giving up and just keep this poor quality, at the same time I want to exchange it but reserving is a pain down in Australia due to lack of supply.

12. macrumors 65816

drew0020

My last two white iPhones has visible dents and scratches on both. I gave up and am keeping the one with the 2 smallest scratches. Oh well.

13. macrumors 6502a

I have the newest run of iPhones. Mine is one day old right now. No issues with mine at all. The battery is great, no Scratches, not bent, no bad charger cable, everything works well for my case so far. Hope you have the same luck.

14. macrumors 6502a

silvetti

No, got a phone on 9-11 (weird date I know) with week 43 (October) and it is scratched on the chamfered edge and when you click on it on the left or right side of the home button it makes a click noise almost like a physical button...

15. macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Cases will scratch it too. :mad:

16. macrumors 601

No issues with a 5 received on 10/15.

17. macrumors 6502a

chambone

Stop whining about the aluminium. You keep making it sound like they made it out of lead. I bet money you wouldn't be able to bend it with your bare hands.

18. macrumors newbie

agreed, it is a phone and not a collector's piece.

i don't think the iphone 5 has a quality control issue rather i believe the manufacturing process hasn't caught up to the execution of the expectations of apple. being realistic, what do you expect from worker's that are being paid far below north american standards without the proper training to execute the i5 meticulous and arduous manufacturing process.

it would be interesting to see if a manufacturing plant in the USA or Canada could execute the manufacturing of the i5 to the expectations of apple and their customers. i'm sure the price of the phone would be much more.

19. macrumors 68020

Rocko1

The truth makes you uncomfortable. You might want to seek help for that. :apple:

20. macrumors regular

It would be more expensive to build here because we demand to be payed more and have unions.

Do you know what training the workers get? Do you know what will buy them overseas with their salary not comparing to the US?

Just sayin