iPhone 5 Screen Burn

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mateo124, Feb 23, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Hello all, got my iPhone 5 replaced about a week ago. Just yesterday I was using a full screen app without the status bar, and I noticed that in the top right corner, I can see the AT&T indicator like burned into the screen. I tried playing a movie and it didn't seem to fix it. My question is, is this normal for the iphone? I didn't even know it was possible on the iphone, and I'm quite annoyed by it. I think it might be a refurb and it had the bar on all the time before. I'll upload pics if anyone wants to see it later.

2. macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

I'd like to see pics, and this is very odd, not normal otherwise these forums would look something like this, haters.

If I were you I'd take it into an apple store and they'll swap it right out. :)

3. macrumors 65816

lunaoso

It's probably ghosting. Bring it to an Apple Store and they'll give you a brand new one.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Here is a pic, I finally was able to get a good shot of it. Obviously it isn't too bad, but it still hasn't gone away, and actually appears to have gotten worse. I think I'll just live with it and use it as an excuse when I want to exchange it later on.[​IMG][/IMG]

5. macrumors 6502

chumawumba

6. macrumors 603

scaredpoet

Normally with LCD ghosting, displaying a different image over the ghosted area will bring things back into shape. This isn't something that causes permanent damage.

The effect tends to be even worse on Windows Phone devices.

7. macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

Wow, it's really something, but not horrendous, as remember, that status bar is there most of the time you're using the phone. :rolleyes:

8. macrumors 68000

vastoholic

My original iPad did this for a bit too. It was never permanent thankfully.

9. macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

10. macrumors 68040

thadoggfather

Image retention is becoming more than common with apple products I.e. retina MacBook pros

Ipads: My brother's 2, parent's 3, my newly acquired 4 has it slightly, all the display iPads (one mini, two 4's) at best buy had it. My recently sold 3 didn't do it, a parent's mini doesn't do it.

On phones it might be less so though.

My iPhone 5, many swaps later for unrelated issues, though I had lots with vertical interlacing, does not have it. Haven't tested others but wouldn't be surprised

11. thread starter macrumors regular

I was under the assumption it wasn't permanent as well, but after playing a few movies on it, the ghosting still remains. I've also tried displaying a solid white image but that didn't work either. So either it would take more time, or it somehow ended up becoming permanent. I am jailbroken by the way, but I guess that couldn't be the cause? The only thing I could think of is I installed f.lux and even then I still don't see how this would happen unless it was defective.

12. macrumors 68040

thadoggfather

it's Image Retention, plain and simple, not f.lux.