iPhone 5 shock!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CrAkD, Feb 11, 2013.

1. macrumors 68030

CrAkD

Whats up guys. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I bought an extra lightning cable that I keep in my car. One day I needed to use it at work but I only had the cable no plug. So I bought a cheap $10 AC-USB plug looks just like apples but its black. it worked fine for awhile. today I noticed when I plug it in with that plug and touch the back plate I get a slight vibration but what it really is is a MILD electric shock!? so weird. in the car using a cigg lighter usb adapter it doesnt do it and at home with my 10w ipad AC adapter it doesnt do it. Anyone else experienced this? I gotta try the cheap black charger elsewhere maybe it was just the outlet. but i plugged it in and unplugged in numerous times and always got the shock when it was plugged in.

2. macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

there's no usb outlet at your job...no computer?

3. macrumors 68020

When you buy cheap knockoffs, that is more likely to happen. And every time you get a shock, who knows what it is doing to your phone.

4. macrumors regular

negrohero9

knock off chargers will cause shock and miscommunication with the touch screen sometimes.

5. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've had mild shocks from my 4S with the Apple cable, connected to an HP display. I haven't had any since plugging into the computer directly. Presumably the display is exceeding the specs of the computer (and Apple charger) but I don't know whether it complies with the USB standards or not.

6. macrumors 6502a

I have a MacBook Air which is made of aluminum and when I hold it with my left hand I've been able to give my girlfriend slight electric shocks with my right. It seems to be common with Apple's products made from aluminum.

7. macrumors 6502a

the cable is only $19, yet you bought a phone that cost hundreds of dollars more... is that $19 really too much to ask?

8. macrumors demi-god

Wait until smoke comes out of the phone. Then replace the charger with an Apple one. :eek:

9. thread starter macrumors 68030

CrAkD

i spent the $19 on the apple cable. the ac adapter I needed right then and all they had was the cheap knock off plug haha. I just thought it was odd that a generic plug can make the entire back of the phone conductive!

10. macrumors newbie

U bought $10 fake adapter which isn't working as it should...so what's wrong man?? Get an apple adapter..

11. macrumors P6

12. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

13. macrumors 68020

Rocko1