Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SONiC5

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
U.S.
I never had any of those "issues" and all of those issues are long gone. Let's also not forget the fact that AT&T, even then, had the largest # of smartphones on their network, and even now, handle significantly more traffic than anyone else.

Sprint had YEARS to build their network and learn from AT&T, but did they? Nope.

Except AT&T fixed it. Sprint still hasn't. The Sprint "fix" here in Boston has been delayed until Fall, when it should be done. By the time, it's done in my area, VZW/AT&T would have had LTE for almost two years and LTE-A is around the corner.

Sprint isn't even close to AT&T. 125 to 29 cities back in December. (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413363,00.asp) They still don't even have NYC or Boston. They're wasting their time building into useless suburbs (like Peabody, MA), while ignoring Boston itself (where their network doesn't work). The initial Boston LTE rollout for AT&T covered basically the entire East of the state. And goes from the NH/MA border down to Providence. Sprint? Not even close.

In Sprint's Boston market, which is coterminous with the state of Massachusetts, Network Vision is nearly halfway complete. This is also the first I'm hearing about a delay, but if there is a delay I highly doubt it will take until Fall for LTE to be launched in the city of Boston, especially when LTE coverage is already mapped there on Sensorly, but I'm no expert.

Sprint is revamping their entire network, they're not just adding only LTE. The process seems slow but if I remember correctly, Sprint's LTE rollout is actually moving at a faster pace than AT&T and Verizon's did. Sprint's network will also be more advanced than the networks of the other major carriers, it will run more efficiently and is LTE-A ready, Sprint is actually testing LTE-A alongside the "regular" LTE they're rolling out.

This article does a good job of explaining it:

Sprint’s LTE deployment may be coming in a distant third, but their deployment plan is structured to allow for an inexpensive upgrade from the LTE r9 that we know now to the LTE r10 (also called LTE Advanced). The plan, pending approval from the FCC, is to us the 1900Mhz spectrum for LTE r9 on their networks. The towers where LTE r9 has been deployed will also have an 800Mhz broadcast point that can be activated just be dropping a card into the tower. Sprint’s plan as of right now is to offer an LTE service that is competitive to the existing offerings, but as soon as the FCC approves the 800Mhz usage their techs will install the card needed to then start broadcasting LTE-A over the same footprint as the existing LTE networks. Even in testing their network testing when deploying these towers, Sprint is testing both LTE r9 and r10. When the network is active, Sprint will be able to offer significantly faster LTE speeds than their competition, and neither Verizon nor AT&T’s towers are built to adapt as fast as Sprint’s.

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile...-how-they-stack-up-against-the-rest-20120511/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.