Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeParadis

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2016
Turn off Bluetooth and they will work again. Hope they fix this
Thank you ...great advice as it was only that my problem. I can hear again the text tone.
[doublepost=1451966992,1451966692][/doublepost]
Mine does it as well but it only seems to do it on an active text thread. Well, I mean if i text my wife and turn the display off and she texts me within the next few minutes I do not receive an alert... That seems to be what is happening but it's really just an observation. Also my bluetooth is always off.
Thank you for mentioning the active thread. And I turned off my Bluetooth and finally I could hear the alert again once I was away from messages. Merci.

Terry2157

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2016
Try this: Go to 'settings' and select "do not disturb" then turn off the switch for "Repeated Calls" - I had the same issue and after turning off the Repeated Calls toggle the problem stopped. Hope this helps you.:)

This worked perfectly for me
I turned the do not disturb off again and not a problem
Bloody genius

LeParadis

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2016
My niece looked at my phone and noticed that "Allow Notifications" in Settings, Messages had been turned off... grrrrr!! Eureka.

P M V Subramanian

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2016
Same Here

Hi there,

I had the same problem, my phone would only vibrate and not make any sound on things like typing a message, and when I got a call or a text.

The strange thing is that is I switched the phone off then on again it would all work ok, I noticed this on Friday and over the weekend, I called Apple Support who did not have a clue about what to do, strange that it has been fine yesterday and today.

Its not just you, if you look at other forums on both here and the apple communities pages others are having the same issue.

Hope that helps.
[doublepost=1453530748][/doublepost]Thanks for the suggestion.
All of a sudden my i phone5 stopped giving alerts for the messages. I went through the resetting a number of times using the procedures listed in websites & trying by sending messages from other phones. At least I might have spent Rs.100/ for testing. I was so exasperated, as suggested, I switched off & on the i phone 5, lo & behold it started giving alerts & showing the banner as set by me.
The moral of the story: 'In gadgets like computers, phones etc. if nothing works, switch off & on, most probably it will work'.

TwixPanthers

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2016
DO NOT DISTURB can be inadvertently set for individual text thread!!

Hello all,

I've just registered here for the singular purpose of sharing what I've just discovered regarding MY problem with not receiving alert tones when I've received a text.

Yes, yes...I know...the DO NOT DISTURB issue has been raised before and it didn't resolve the problem for everyone. Well, as I read this thread and discovered, one by one, that the solutions kindly suggested by other members did not work for me either, I looked more closely at my text messages listing of text "senders".

Try this. Go to your messages and look at the individual text threads you've received from various individuals. You may find that one or more of those threads have the "quarter moon" icon listed just to the left of the "senders" name. Aha! If that is what you find, then tap on that sender's name and then select "details". You will then see the DO NOT DISTURB selection half way down the screen has somehow been activated EVEN THOUGH, your "global" DO NOT DISTURB icon was NOT!!!

Turn off that individual DND and that may just fix your problem with not receiving sound alerts for your incoming texts. Repeat the process for any other inadvertent DND'd message senders. :)

p.s. - this works with iPhone 5s but I don't know if it will work with older iphones, although, I would imagine with the most recent update to 8.0.2 OS that it might work on other compatible iphones.
[doublepost=1461932979][/doublepost]Yes! This was mine. Thanks so much!

I knew I didn't have dnd on my phone. I'd checked when I reset my phone etc. The other posts about dnd were so annoying as checking for that seemed obvious, but I didn't realise that dnd could be set against an individual contact.

Somehow I had turned my husband off

Thanks for posting this

DO NOT DISTURB can be inadvertently set for individual text thread!!

Hello all,

Try this. Go to your messages and look at the individual text threads you've received from various individuals. You may find that one or more of those threads have the "quarter moon" icon listed just to the left of the "senders" name. Aha! If that is what you find, then tap on that sender's name and then select "details". You will then see the DO NOT DISTURB selection half way down the screen has somehow been activated EVEN THOUGH, your "global" DO NOT DISTURB icon was NOT!!!

Turn off that individual DND and that may just fix your problem with not receiving sound alerts for your incoming texts. Repeat the process for any other inadvertent DND'd message senders. :)

TammyDoan2

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2017
Wow, Kippesaurus figured it out. I don't think anybody here tried the silent toggle switch on the side of our iPhones since the Gen1, or to read the manuals. Thank you so much for your genius insight on this matter.
[doublepost=1499144399][/doublepost]I think you've helped me twice. I keep forgetting about the toggle switch. Thanks so much!!!

Samfish

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2017
I think this happened to me...

I got a txt from my wife that said "I'm just going to call and bla bla bla cause I need to know now". I look at the thread and there were two other messages before it. I got no notification of these messages. No vibrate/tone/whatever.

I restarted my phone and tested a few more times and it seems to be working.

JasonBrown, how do you know it has to do with bluetooth? My wife leaves b/t on all the time (4s) and has no problem. I turn it off on my 5 but sometimes leave it on by accident.
[doublepost=1508599326][/doublepost]I had the same problem. For each text received there is a "do not disturb slider". I had mine set to "do not disturb" for some text numbers.

Merr

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2018
Turn off Bluetooth and they will work again. Hope they fix this
[doublepost=1515416589][/doublepost]Thank you. I tried switching on and off phone and other things. Turning off Bluetooth worked. Much appreciated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.