Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I'll go on record without the problem, using AT&T and no iCloud use except for Find My iPhone.

I'll second. No iCloud except Find My Phone. Seems far greater with Verizon.

Maybe a conspiracy between Verizon and Samsung? Remember, "How to sell against the iPhone"? Nah. ;)

----------

AT&T, with the number of issues being reported and the fact that this happened on my iphone 4s when I upgraded to ios 6 when the GM came out I think that it is an iOS issue in the handling of icloud backups and wifi when screen is locked.

If anybody has icloud backups turned off and is seeing this please post because so far this is the leading theory at least for myself and a few others

Seriously. You're onto something. Check iCloud people. :cool:

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I had the same problem on my LTE iPad 3. I blew through 2GB of data in like a week on wifi nearly the whole time. I did some testing both my iPad 3 and iPhone 4 were using mobile data when connected to wifi. It was about 3X worse when connected to my Linksys WRT54G wifi router (I have two wifi connections at home.) My solution was to turn off iPad mobile data at home and switch to a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone :) BTW, Verizon iPad 3 and iPhone 4 on AT&T both iOS5.

The way I tested it was to reset the data counter and then stream audio for a few hours connected to wifi (video would work too.) Check to see how much mobile data has been used. Obviously it should be using little to none if you're connected to wifi.

shawnwich

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2007
Houston, TX
I had the same problem on my LTE iPad 3. I blew through 2GB of data in like a week on wifi nearly the whole time. I did some testing both my iPad 3 and iPhone 4 were using mobile data when connected to wifi. It was about 3X worse when connected to my Linksys WRT54G wifi router (I have two wifi connections at home.) My solution was to turn off iPad mobile data at home and switch to a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone :) BTW, Verizon iPad 3 and iPhone 4 on AT&T both iOS5.

The way I tested it was to reset the data counter and then stream audio for a few hours connected to wifi (video would work too.) Check to see how much mobile data has been used. Obviously it should be using little to none if you're connected to wifi.

Did you try talking to apple about it?

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Did you try talking to apple about it?

No, I did search the Apple support site and didn't see any info on this problem. I never went over my 2GB data plan on my iPhone 4 thanks to AT&T's slow 3G network so I had no reason to suspect there was a problem until I got the LTE iPad. My Galaxy S3 doesn't do this BTW so it seems like an iOS problem.

jester0723

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Virginia
My Verizon iPhone says I've used about 2GB of cell data in the settings, but Verizon says I've used 1. I haven't had wifi on much - only when in the basement of buildings where I didn't have 3g or LTE.

I think there might be some issue with how the iPhone counts the data as I've given it a few days to show up on Verizon's usage monitor and it's stayed around 1.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
So, I remember there was a feature on the old iOS 6 betas where it would use cellular data if the wifi connection was spotty. Looking on my iPhone 5 I can no longer find it.

I don't remember what it was called but it sounds like this could be the culprit, unless Apple decided to remove the feature.

rubined

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
I just spent 2 hours on phone with apple and Verizon. They are aware of the problem. My phone even showed tethering usage when we don't even have a mobile hot spot plan!

What the phone was showing as usage was more than 10x what Verizon actually Howrd as billable data on their end.

They are aware of the situation.
The scary part is they said they removed the on of switch for the phone automatically choosing the fastest connection but it still may be baked into the os. Meaning it might go to lte even if you don't want it to. I hope it's not true.

Last edited:

Daftbrush

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
UK
This may explain the problem I have.

My phone doesn't seem to stay connected to the wifi when locked and being charged meaning I don't get iCloud backups overnight.

I've also use a considerable amount of data even though I'm connected to wifi, although if this is being disconnected in favour of LTE without my knowledge when charging and locked might be why. I'm going to switch off LTE until more details on this emerge.

An Update: Yesterday by 11AM (after an overnight charge and un-plugged at 7:30AM) I had 94% left. I turned off LTE and today at 11AM (same over night charge and unplug time) it's still at 100%.

Still no iCloud over night back up - even after switching off cellular data.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
lol, so now your new $900. phone cant use wifi and let LTE sit and so you have to turn it off, and your response is, technology is not perfect...lol

I guess its now dataGate.

Apple can not control cr^p WiFi connections and it may have nothing to do with your $900 phone. The phone is simply following the users comand and downloading the file. It is the USERS responcibilty to control his device.:rolleyes:

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I have had my iPhone 5 for 24 hours now and somehow already have over 200MB data usage. On my 4S, it took about a week to reach that much, or at least 4 or 5 days. I spent most of the day on wifi, and hardly did any web browsing or anything while on LTE/3G. Used to do much more on 3G on my 4S and still took much longer to use that much data. So what's going on? Where is all if this data usage coming from? Or is it just reporting the usage inaccurately?

Egon84

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
King's Mtn, NC
I noticed this problem too. Just got off the phone with verizon because somehow i've used 300mb this past weekend. Not much help there other than using 4G uses more data faster, which makes no sense.

If we look at data connections as highways 3G was a 1 lane highway and LTE is an 8 lane highway. Looking at the same webpage on different connections doesn't mean we put more cars(packets) on the highway. The amount of data just isn't backed up and slow because of a single lane for traffic. A megabit is a megabit regardless of whether it is transported by a horse and buggy or a mach 1 rocket.

Personally, I am not to stressed out about this since I have usually used 0.2GB a month but been to worried about overages to drop my data to 1GB. I'd rather use what I am actually paying for. Right now I am at a little over .5GB for the month.

Something however is not right with the way that the iPhone 5 switches signals between LTE and wi-fi, and contrary to the general consensus, just because the technology in the phone is newer doesn't mean we need to trade off the practices that the mobile carriers made us establish in the first place. I fear an unopposed acceptance of this practice of cellular data working with wi-fi without our knowing will open the possibilities of being taxed by the carriers for our data that is provided outside the carrier network. If you listen to the CEO's of the carriers, they are certainly not looking how to charge less money from us.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
I have been watching the thread (since I'm getting an iPhone 5 in a few weeks). I just noticed this morning, that when my phone is connected to wifi, when I wake up the phone from sleep it's actually showing "3G" then very quickly it will switch to wifi. So I'm not sure if this has been happening all long, but since most of us has unlimited data it was never an issue? Just want to offer some observation.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
I have been watching the thread (since I'm getting an iPhone 5 in a few weeks). I just noticed this morning, that when my phone is connected to wifi, when I wake up the phone from sleep it's actually showing "3G" then very quickly it will switch to wifi. So I'm not sure if this has been happening all long, but since most of us has unlimited data it was never an issue? Just want to offer some observation.

Yep, I noticed this too, although mine is EDGE (no 3G or HSPA+ here yet).

I also notice that iOS fails to switch an active download(s) over to WiFi if the signal drops or is acquired while transferring over cellular. So if you were doing a bunch of app updates for example (say, a few hundred MB or so) and your WiFi drops out...it will continue updating over cellular and not switch back to WiFi until AFTER the downloads are finished, even when a WiFi connection is ready.

Conspiracy with the big carriers to charge massive overages and rake in lots of cash or just a "bug" somewhere?

paulie6978

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
The Cradle of Liberty
im 1 day into my billing period adn it says ive used 850mb of data..... im thinking it didnt reset on my account
when does it usually reset?

Also my wifi has bene in and out. sometimes it will swithc right to LTE or 3g. is this a bug???

Last edited:

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown

That's how the iPhone has always worked. When the phone is on and active, it'll connect to wifi. When it is locked and not plugged in, it will stay on cellular. If it is locked and plugged in, I think it stays connected to wifi.

paulie6978

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
The Cradle of Liberty
That's how the iPhone has always worked. When the phone is on and active, it'll connect to wifi. When it is locked and not plugged in, it will stay on cellular. If it is locked and plugged in, I think it stays connected to wifi.

my 4s always stayed on wifi if it was connected. with my 5 i always have to go into settings and reconnect to wifi if it goes to sleep or after a little while of using it

BS

misterjay

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Hi guys.

I lost faith in checking the data usage of my iPhone 5 so I downloaded the "AT&T" app and logged into it via iPhone 5. Also on the website aswell, it shows that i only used 117mb of data while on the iPhone through cellular data usage, it says that I used over 350mb.

Guess I'm not too worried afterall but oh well, what a annoyance.

black743

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
Huntington, WV
I downloaded the Avengers movie straight to my phone over wifi the other night while I slept. I didn't show any usage over cellular....so obviously it kept the wifi connection during the download.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Nothing an NFC tag couldn't fix. Just program an NFC tag to change your settings from LTE to WiFi only and put the sticker someone near your entry door so when you come home you just tap your phone on the sticker and it switches it from the "Car Mode" you were just using to "Home Mode". Oh wait...

Seriously though, I do wish there was some sort of "quick settings" we could access through either the notifications drop down or an optional page to the left of the search page.

You are a naughty boy! :D

kingsrule5

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
Hi guys.

I lost faith in checking the data usage of my iPhone 5 so I downloaded the "AT&T" app and logged into it via iPhone 5. Also on the website aswell, it shows that i only used 117mb of data while on the iPhone through cellular data usage, it says that I used over 350mb.

Guess I'm not too worried afterall but oh well, what a annoyance.

I have been doing the same and found that the ATT app and the AT&T text service were very different. App says 102MB or so but checking via text (dial *3282#) and that says over 1GB. The online reporting is delayed/incorrect. Even my phone usage shows over 1GB. Also I would rather plan like I am high so not to go over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.