iPhone 5: viewing photos in landscape

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MGCP, Nov 8, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Sep 21, 2012
    Perhaps I've missed something obvious, but if I'm looking at one of my photos and turn the phone to landscape it cuts off the top and bottom. I can pinch to zoom out but that doesn't work with a sideshow (which ends up looking as if the photos are all badly framed). Is there a setting to make sure that the whole photo is visible as a default setting? Thanks.
  2. thread starter macrumors member

Sep 21, 2012
    From the resounding silence I guess it isn't possible to fix this. It seems bizarre that Apple wouldn't realise that for some people being able to see the whole photo is much more important than having it fill the 16:9 screen, I can't believe there isn't an option for this.
  3. macrumors 6502

Jan 31, 2010
    Another crappy ios6 thing I hope is gonna change in iOS7... :(
  4. macrumors 68000

Oct 15, 2008
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Sep 21, 2012
    Exactly, which is why landscape photos should be reduced in size (at least as an option) so that the full vertical height can be shown, with black bars on the left and right. Except apparently the only way to do this is to pinch to zoom out, so if I want to show someone my carefully framed photos instead of swiping through I have to swipe, pinch, swipe, pinch, swipe, pinch...

That quickly gets really annoying, and can't even be done if you use sideshow!
  6. macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2009
    Croxley, Herts
    Works fine for me.
    Landscape and portrait photos all show correctly, right up to the edge when viewed in landscape or portrait orientation.
  7. thread starter macrumors member

Sep 21, 2012
    Have been playing around a bit more. It seems to be happy enough viewing photos which were taken on an ios device (ie all the photos that have been imported from my 4s display fine).

The problem is with photos taken with my DSLR (which I process and then reduce to make smaller copies to store/display on my phone).

It seems to be completely inconsistent as to whether it recognises the vertical dimensions of the photos or not. So, in an album of photos that have all been processed identically and uploaded together, I can scroll through 10 images where the top and bottoms have been cropped off to make the photo fill the screen, and then suddenly there will be one that displays correctly (with bars at the sides). Then it goes back to cropping them again.

Very odd behaviour, I wonder what is happening and if there is anything I can do to correct it.
  8. macrumors 68020

Sep 12, 2009
    File a bug report via Apple's website.