iPhone 5 vs "dumb" phone + iPod 5th Gen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raptorstv, Dec 27, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Mar 24, 2011
  2. macrumors 601

Mar 25, 2009
    Lincoln, England
    iPhone 5, because its the most capable of the three choices.
  3. macrumors 68020

May 6, 2008
    Personally, an iPhone 5. Although I own both an i5 and iPod Touch since all my music is kept on the Touch. Even though my iPhone comes everywhere with me, whereas my iPod does not.

However, if you're looking to save some money, the dumb phone + iPod Touch isn't a bad combination.
  4. macrumors 68040

Jul 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
  5. macrumors 65816

Oct 7, 2010
    Iphone 5 as much as I use all the various features I'd rather have everything in one device. Two different gadgets in my pocket all the time, no way.......
  6. Guest

Dec 7, 2010
  7. macrumors 68020

Nov 15, 2011
    I made the jump from multi-devices to one. Each scenario has its ups and downs. I like having all-in-one but if you lose it... You're done.
  8. macrumors P6

Aug 17, 2007
    My choice would be an iPhone 5 over a dumb phone and iPod touch. It is one less device to carry and remember to charge.
  9. Mrbobb, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

macrumors 601

Aug 27, 2012
    If money was no object then who wants to carry two devices right?

So you are willing go to without cellular data and will rely on hotspots for Internet access - OK.

Dumb phone's month-to-month usage can be super cheap if u don't make that many voice calls anyways so you are left by the initial outlay$ of an iPod.

A subsidized iPhone is like a printer, cheap, but every change of cartridge is gonna hurt. A subsidized phone is good for people who use lots of cellular data anyways, but doesn't sound like you need it that much, so if you go this route you will be paying average $70/month and do you get the usage out of it you must ask yourself.

There is a third route: Buy an unsubsidized i5 but the initial outlay$ is steep $650+ but you are left with the freedom to choose what cell plan you need, from no cellular data, PayAsYouGo $10 cents per voice calls, or Straight Talks has a 50 mbyte/month plan $30 bux.

There is a 4th route: Buy an unsubsidized 4s, perfectly capable, about usd$400, refurb. I love refurb electronics because they are cheaper, practically new, and all kinks is been cleaned already.

You do the math.