Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I upgraded from the 4 to the 5 about a month ago and I couldn't be happier.

The 5 is MUCH faster. I know in all reality we are really only talking about seconds or fractions of seconds, but launching and moving between apps on the 5 is a much more pleasent and seemless experience. It is especially nice if you are someone like me who is on their phone constantly, moving between apps constantly.

And of course the added screen size is a plus. It's big enough that it offers added, useful space, but in a way it really isn't that noticeable after using it for a while. It's obviously noticeable upon first use, but you adjust to it quickly. It's still a "comfortable" screen (as opposed to something like the Galaxy S3...it's a big, beautiful screen, but it is almost too big for a phone IMO). Hard to explain. For me, it is really nice having a longer screen when using the Facebook app...it makes the newsfeed feel less congested, especially now since they have worked mobile ads into the newsfeed.

More importantly about the screen, I was really pleasantly surprised about the upgraded screen quality. Immediately I noticed that the darks seemed darker and colors just "popped" off the screen more in general. Going from one Retina display to another I wasn't really expecting any quality bump, but this was a very welcomed surprise!

Also, the bump from 3g to 4g is great! My data speeds have more than tripled. My 4g data connection on my iPhone is now faster than my wifi at home, lol.

And of course the upgraded camera is awesome. I take pictures with my phone all the time, so any improvement on the camera is great for me.

And unlike many others, I actually prefer the form factor of the 5 over the 4. I was really skepitcal at first, and just looking at the pictures of the slate backing, I really wasn't a fan. I liked the all glass back of the 4 as opposed to the (what appeared to be 2-toned) slate and glass back of the 5. After handling it in person I changed my mind quickly. The slate offers a matter type feel, which feels great in your hand and offers better grip. I also really like the flat black ring/trim as opposed to the shiny silver ring/trim around the 4. It looks like a much more sleek device overall, IMO.

Edit: Oh yeah, my battery seems to last about 15-20% longer as well. :)

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Because of the way subsidies work, the price of your phone is worked into what you pay every month for your phone service.

This means that when your contract expires, if you do not upgrade, you are basically losing money, because your monthly bill doesn't go down.

I know it's a messed up way to think, but it's true. I'm looking forward to seeing how T-mobile handles selling phones without subsidies on an installment plan. This will probably mean lower bills for those who decide not to sign contracts.

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
It's a NO-BRAINER

I upgraded from my 4 the VERY DAY that I became eligible. All the other good features stuff notwithstanding, the two main things for me were its LTE data speed (on SpeedTest.net it went from single digits Up to high 30's, and even 40+ Mbs a couple times) because in Vegas the ATT infrastructure has been built up multifold lately. On 4G LTE my new iPhone 5 is actually faster than my home Cox cable service (their speediest package) through my iMac.

The other thing is Siri. I simply mumble, "Take me home" or "Take me to (wherever)" and we are on our way. I used to try and say the whole address including the state, but noticed that she would cut me off before I got all of it out. That's when I realized she already KNOWS where I am in general (duh!) and just needs a specific street address or location. I can just mention Thomas & Mack (UNLV basketball season tickets, Go Rebs!) and she figures out everything else.

So my two fairly recent GPS units, a Garmin and a Magellan, are now mothballin' in my garage...somewhere...

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
I upgraded from the 4 to the 5 about a month ago and I couldn't be happier.

The 5 is MUCH faster. I know in all reality we are really only talking about seconds or fractions of seconds, but launching and moving between apps on the 5 is a much more pleasent and seemless experience. It is especially nice if you are someone like me who is on their phone constantly, moving between apps constantly.

And of course the added screen size is a plus. It's big enough that it offers added, useful space, but in a way it really isn't that noticeable after using it for a while. It's obviously noticeable upon first use, but you adjust to it quickly. It's still a "comfortable" screen (as opposed to something like the Galaxy S3...it's a big, beautiful screen, but it is almost too big for a phone IMO). Hard to explain. For me, it is really nice having a longer screen when using the Facebook app...it makes the newsfeed feel less congested, especially now since they have worked mobile ads into the newsfeed.

More importantly about the screen, I was really pleasantly surprised about the upgraded screen quality. Immediately I noticed that the darks seemed darker and colors just "popped" off the screen more in general. Going from one Retina display to another I wasn't really expecting any quality bump, but this was a very welcomed surprise!

Also, the bump from 3g to 4g is great! My data speeds have more than tripled. My 4g data connection on my iPhone is now faster than my wifi at home, lol.

And of course the upgraded camera is awesome. I take pictures with my phone all the time, so any improvement on the camera is great for me.

And unlike many others, I actually prefer the form factor of the 5 over the 4. I was really skepitcal at first, and just looking at the pictures of the slate backing, I really wasn't a fan. I liked the all glass back of the 4 as opposed to the (what appeared to be 2-toned) slate and glass back of the 5. After handling it in person I changed my mind quickly. The slate offers a matter type feel, which feels great in your hand and offers better grip. I also really like the flat black ring/trim as opposed to the shiny silver ring/trim around the 4. It looks like a much more sleek device overall, IMO.

Edit: Oh yeah, my battery seems to last about 15-20% longer as well. :)

I completely agree with everything you have said. Strangely, my battery lasts 50-60% longer than it did with my iPhone 4. I was only getting 4-5 hours of usage & now I'm getting 10-11 hours of usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.