iPhone 5 water damage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mgf95, Jul 27, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

My iPhone is the new lifeproof nuud case so I thought it'd be ok to leave by the pool because the case is water proof. But apparently the case is very good at being water proof because when I took the case off after the fact there was a fair amount of water inside the case. I guess some of the water got into the phone because the back camera lens in all foggy. But the interesting part is that the phone is fully functional. So I have couple of questions

1- do you think that the water that got into the phone cause damage later? I plan on putting it in rice later to try and draw out water.

2- I know there was a rumor going around when the phone first came out that apple treated some of them with some water repellent spray. Could that be a possibility here?

3- where are the water damaged sensors? I looked in the headphone jack, the charging port and the SIM card slot and I didn't see anything that was red to indicate water damage.

4- is it normal to have brown stuff in the lighting port and the headphone jack? Because when I was looking in there, there was a lot of brown stuff, but it didn't seem to have any impact the use of the device

Thanks for your help

2. macrumors 603

scaredpoet

If there's still water in there, absolutely. wires and connectors can corrode, connections can short out. It's bad news to keep things moist.

Unlikely.

Pretty sure all the water damage sensors are internal now, but there should also be one in the SIM port somewhere.

Definitely not.

3. macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

"Brown stuff"?!? Did u really even have to ask if its normal? Lol.

Was the case installed properly? And if it was just "sitting poolside" and got splashed a few times, I find it hard to believe that water got inside..even if the case wasn't clamped correctly.

4. macrumors regular

Did you put it on rice?? I think you just caused lots of damage by forgetting that.

5. macrumors 6502

ant1298

Was the phone out in the sun? Could be condensation from being a watertight case.....just a thought? Depends on the level of water found though.

Anthony

6. macrumors demi-god

How can that case keep any water out considering that the front and back are wide open?? Water can go straight in through the openings. :eek:

7. macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Sounds like Lifeproof sent you a defective case. You may want to contact them and let them know that their product failed, and that they should be liable for your iPhone repair costs.

8. macrumors 68030

ET iPhone Home

9. macrumors 604

you are supposed to hold the phone next to your ear, not stick it in your ear.

10. macrumors 6502

@OP yeah, I agree with rit, if you applied the case as per instructions and they guaranteed that it's waterproof, but it failed, then they should be liable.