Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Hi!

Well, I'm going to keep this fairly short and straightforward. This is what I posted on the official Apple Support Community.

"Is anyone still experiencing the Wifi issue? Where the phone simply won't reconnect to what should be (it won't remember it) a familiar Wifi-connection? I just installed iOS 6.1 and it hasn't solved anything. The "other" solution works fine and my iPhone 5 automatically connects to my Wifi, but that's not how this should work. We bought a phone from Apple and their motto is pretty much that everything "just works". How one of the most basic functions in a phone won't work is simply beyond me.

This is my second iPhone 5 so chances of it being a hardware related issue is small. Anyway, the point still remains that if I won't use the "other" solution, my phone won't automatically connect to my wifi. My phone won't recognize it and because of that I have to enter my password everytime I go out and get back or if I turn off my phone and then turn it back on. The thing won't remember the password. Does anyone still share that problem?"

I might add that my router uses WPA2 and that the model is a Netgear WNR3500L.

Is this problem common? And I'll apologize if you've already had countless of threads that deal with the same issue, but I can't find a single one where people are still having the problem with iOS 6.1. Did Apple just basically **** up iOS 6 when it comes to Wi-Fi?

Other than that I'm very satisfied with my phone.

Last edited:

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Hi!

Well, I'm going to keep this fairly short and straightforward. This is what I posted on the official Apple Support Community.

"Is anyone still experiencing the Wifi issue? Where the phone simply won't reconnect to what should be (it won't remember it) a familiar Wifi-connection? I just installed iOS 6.1 and it hasn't solved anything. The "other" solution works fine and my iPhone 5 automatically connects to my Wifi, but that's not how this should work. We bought a phone from Apple and their motto is pretty much that everything "just works". How one of the most basic functions in a phone won't work is simply beyond me.

This is my second iPhone 5 so chances of it being a hardware related issue is small. Anyway, the point still remains that if I won't use the "other" solution, my phone won't automatically connect to my wifi. My phone won't recognize it and because of that I have to enter my password everytime I go out and get back or if I turn off my phone and then turn it back on. The thing won't remember the password. Does anyone still share that problem?"

I might add that my router uses WPA2 and that the model is a Netgear WNR3500L.

Is this problem common? And I'll apologize if you've already had countless of threads that deal with the same issue, but I can't find a single one where people are still having the problem with iOS 6.1. Did Apple just basically **** up iOS 6 when it comes to Wi-Fi?

Other than that I'm very satisfied with my phone.

Go to your wifi settings on your phone, click on your router access point and tap the blue arrow on the right, go all the way down to HTTP proxy and set it to auto and leave it blank.

iOS 6.1 has made my wifi much better on my iPhone 5 it most certainly did not mess up wifi. Try what I said...if that doesnt work Reset all network settings and that will defitnetly do the trick

Also, have you tried doing a hard reset? Go and try that out aswell

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Go to your wifi settings on your phone, click on your router access point and tap the blue arrow on the right, go all the way down to HTTP proxy and set it to auto and leave it blank.

iOS 6.1 has made my wifi much better on my iPhone 5 it most certainly did not mess up wifi. Try what I said...if that doesnt work Reset all network settings and that will defitnetly do the trick

Also, have you tried doing a hard reset? Go and try that out aswell

I've done that but as soon as I turn off the Wifi and then turn on it again, the phone won't automatically connect to my router.

I've done a hard reset and a "reset all network settings". None of that helped.

The only way my phone will automatically connect to my Wifi is if I manually add it by selecting "other".

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I've done that but as soon as I turn off the Wifi and then turn on it again, the phone won't automatically connect to my router.

I've done a hard reset and a "reset all network settings". None of that helped.

The only way my phone will automatically connect to my Wifi is if I manually add it by selecting "other".

Have you tried resetting your router? Did you update your router's firmware?

Have you ever tried a power surge with your router?

Unplug your router and modem and keep them unplugged for 2 minutes...then reconnect.

If the above doesnt work then I guess you should just try a restore

khurana

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
iPhone 5 Connectivity issue!

I am having a similar issue as Imory. But I do believe it may be a hardware issue because another member in my family has an iPhone 5, purchased at a different time, which works PERFECTLY when connected to the same unsecured WIFI network. I wanted to share this & have included a link to a brief video below that clearly shows this.

After unsucessfully attempting to fix the defective iPhone 5 by resetting the network settings & updating the software to iOS 6.1, I proceeded to the "Genius Bar" at my local Apple store. The defective iPhone suprisingly worked just fine when connected to the Apple store WIFI. An exchange for a replacement iPhone could not be made because the iPhone appeared to be working fine with "no defect". The Wifi connectivity issues persisted when arriving home as well as other public wifi hotspots. So I decided to make the video below to show the folks at Apple what is really going on. Hope it helps others who run into a similar issue:

A WORKING iPhone 5 side by side with a DEFECTIVE iPhone 5 VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYYRrXNNisE&feature=youtu.be

The working iPhone was purchased from an AT&T store during the iPhone 5 release. The defective iPhone was purchased from the same AT&T store in December 2012 (Model: MD638LL/A), (Modem Firmware: 3.04.25)

Attachments

• iPhone 5 Wifi Issue copy.jpg
    iPhone 5 Wifi Issue copy.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 6,725

Castle87

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Not so sure it's hardware related.

-Got iPhone on launch day, wifi issues

-Got mom ipad mini for xmas, wifi issues

-Replaced iphone with new one (for other reasons besides wifi) and the new one also has wifi issues

I am totally convinced now this is an IOS issue and it has been the same with every update they have had. Nothing's changed.

How this isn't a bigger deal in the media is mind boggling. Is it only a very small percentage of users dealing with this? We heard about map gate, camera flash gate, but this wifi thing is absolutely terrible. The fact that they seem to think it's been solved is what's most troubling.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Have you tried resetting your router? Did you update your router's firmware?

Have you ever tried a power surge with your router?

Unplug your router and modem and keep them unplugged for 2 minutes...then reconnect.

If the above doesnt work then I guess you should just try a restore

So you're basically implying it could be the router? I've resetted my router several times and it already has the latest firmware available.

I'm not sure what a power surge is though.

I am having a similar issue as Imory. But I do believe it may be a hardware issue because another member in my family has an iPhone 5, purchased at a different time, which works PERFECTLY when connected to the same unsecured WIFI network. I wanted to share this & have included a link to a brief video below that clearly shows this.

After unsucessfully attempting to fix the defective iPhone 5 by resetting the network settings & updating the software to iOS 6.1, I proceeded to the "Genius Bar" at my local Apple store. The defective iPhone suprisingly worked just fine when connected to the Apple store WIFI. An exchange for a replacement iPhone could not be made because the iPhone appeared to be working fine with "no defect". The Wifi connectivity issues persisted when arriving home as well as other public wifi hotspots. So I decided to make the video below to show the folks at Apple what is really going on. Hope it helps others who run into a similar issue:

A WORKING iPhone 5 side by side with a DEFECTIVE iPhone 5 VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYYRrXNNisE&feature=youtu.be

The working iPhone was purchased from an AT&T store during the iPhone 5 release. The defective iPhone was purchased from the same AT&T store in December 2012 (Model: MD638LL/A), (Modem Firmware: 3.04.25)

That's fortunately not a problem I'm having. Although I've read about people having a similar issue you're having, which is just bizarre. How many Wifi problems does the iPhone 5 have? My problem is solely the fact that it won't remember the password/connect automatically to my router when I've already entered the password.

However, as I pointed out, what does work for me and some others is if you manually add the network by choosing "other". If I use that solution the phone has no problem whatsoever to automatically connect to my router, which basically tells me that this is a software related issue. Why would it otherwise be able to automatically connect to the network?

Not so sure it's hardware related.

-Got iPhone on launch day, wifi issues

-Got mom ipad mini for xmas, wifi issues

-Replaced iphone with new one (for other reasons besides wifi) and the new one also has wifi issues

I am totally convinced now this is an IOS issue and it has been the same with every update they have had. Nothing's changed.

How this isn't a bigger deal in the media is mind boggling. Is it only a very small percentage of users dealing with this? We heard about map gate, camera flash gate, but this wifi thing is absolutely terrible. The fact that they seem to think it's been solved is what's most troubling.

Good to hear that I'm not alone. It just has to be an iOS issue.

Indeed. How come more people haven't complained? Are we only a handful of people with this problem? Could it possibly be that we have faulty phones? This is my second phone (got a new one at Apple Store) so it just doesn't seem probable.

:confused:

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
So you're basically implying it could be the router? I've resetted my router several times and it already has the latest firmware available.

I'm not sure what a power surge is though.

That's fortunately not a problem I'm having. Although I've read about people having a similar issue you're having, which is just bizarre. How many Wifi problems does the iPhone 5 have? My problem is solely the fact that it won't remember the password/connect automatically to my router when I've already entered the password.

However, as I pointed out, what does work for me and some others is if you manually add the network by choosing "other". If I use that solution the phone has no problem whatsoever to automatically connect to my router, which basically tells me that this is a software related issue. Why would it otherwise be able to automatically connect to the network?

Good to hear that I'm not alone. It just has to be an iOS issue.

Indeed. How come more people haven't complained? Are we only a handful of people with this problem? Could it possibly be that we have faulty phones? This is my second phone (got a new one at Apple Store) so it just doesn't seem probable.

:confused:

Unplug your modem and your router for 2 minutes then plug it back in it should fix your wifi issues

gschwell

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2007
Didn't work.

I was having the same problem with my 5 at home. It would constantly drop the wifi connection. I was using a newer Zoom gateway router with 802.11n. After trying all the other suggestions (changing wifi channels, phone restore, etc) I ended up plugging my older 802.11g Linksys router, and it's working great- no dropped connections. So I'm not sure if it was just the type of router, or signal type, but I'm glad it works.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
I was having the same problem with my 5 at home. It would constantly drop the wifi connection. I was using a newer Zoom gateway router with 802.11n. After trying all the other suggestions (changing wifi channels, phone restore, etc) I ended up plugging my older 802.11g Linksys router, and it's working great- no dropped connections. So I'm not sure if it was just the type of router, or signal type, but I'm glad it works.

Hmm, I see. So the "other" solution didn't work either? Or did you never try it before you switched back to your old router?

I have to say I'm surprised more people haven't commented. Don't they share this problem at all?

golfesv

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
Wifi issues

I am having this problem as well especially at work I am linked to our network server but ever since downloading the new IOS it won't hold a WIFI connection! So annoying.

Peitx

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
iphone 5 wifi turns off when going into mail

On my iphone 5 with the latest IOS firmware update wifi still turns off when checking my mail, buy not when using other apps like Gmail.
Why can that be and how can I fix it?
Thanks a lot.

menano

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
Neverland
I had the same problem since day 1 on my iPhone 5. Since unfortunately official apple stores don't exist anywhere nearby, I have to take all my problems to ****** vodafone portugal. I left my phone there, they said they fixed but clearly they didn't. So I tried something that worked for me and might work for you!
After I set the HTTP Proxy to Auto, I enabled 'ask to join networks' and with my wifi on, but not connected to my home network, I opened Safari. A pop-up window appeared with the available networks and after I selected mine the issue disappeared! It now automatically connects every time after 1 month of annoying manually doing it!
Hope it helps someone

janeku

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2013
Can someone give me some help here.
My iPhone 5 running 6.0.2 (jailbroken) started to drop the wi fi connection. Also i noticed the clock is not working ( it's stuck), and tried to do erase all settings and contents but that also can't be done, so i found on cydia iLex rat and made a restore, but still no changes.
So any solution here?
Thanks

JubileeMan

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2014
iPhone Failure to Connect to My Wifi

PROBLEM: My iPhone no longer accepts a WiFi connection to my cable modem. It lists my modem as being available, but I have had no success with repeated attempts to re-connect, rebooting my phone, or resetting its network.

SOLUTION: If your iPhone suddenly refuses to connect to your modem (a source that has been reliable every day), the problem could be located on the other side of the "coin"...

1.) If resetting your iphone's Network connection didn't work, then the problem might be resident in your own cable modem. First, write down the MAC address of your iPhone. Select "About" on your phone's Settings". You will need it for reference.
2.) On your computer, determine the IP address for your modem, and enter it as a URL address such as http://***.***.***.***
3.) This should reveal a Control Menu for your modem. If it doesn't, refer to your modem Operation Manual (or manufacturer) for assistance.
4.) Gain access inside the menu with your usual WiFi password.
5.) Search for a "Status" section or something similar that will list your modem's current stored LAN and WIRELESS User Accounts.
6.) Look for your iPhone's account. Make sure the account's MAC address matches that of your iPhone. If they match, simply DELETE that account. This action completely clears your modem's data-file for that iPhone, as if it never existed. If your iPhone has been successfully deleted from the list, SAVE that page, and LOG OUT.
8.) Now, go to your iPhone and enter the WiFi section where you will see your modem listed as usual, and select it as your WiFi connection. That should return your phone's WiFi connection to normal.

NOTE: There may be a short delay for the new WiFi connection to confirm and process (1-5 min) on your phone. If you want, you can re-enter your modem's Control Menu to verify that your phone has been added as a new account. If it still isn't there, repeat an attempt on your iPhone to select your modem for WiFi. It should work.

Hope this resolves your WiFi problem where nothing else helped.

--Rick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.