iPhone 5...?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheGreenBastard, Jan 10, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

TheGreenBastard

I have a deal that I can get a brand new ip5 16GB for $650, but I want opinions from people who own the iPhone 5. With all the problems regarding the wifi and other issues, is it a worthy upgrade to the iPhone 4S for ~$250? (that's assuming I can get a min of $400 for my iPhone)

2. macrumors regular

Nope it isn't. If I had the 4S I would not be upgrading to the 5. Maybe the 5S but definitely the 6. There is nothing the 5 can do that the 4S can't except display an extra line of icons/folders

3. macrumors 6502a

marioman38

No-go, wait for iPhone 6. iPhone 5 is my first and while it is a good phone, not much sets it apart from my friends iPhone 4s, I actually much prefer the 4s body. I put my 5 in a case the second I bought it because I don't want scratches in the "slate" powder coating.

4. macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

There is no powder coating...

5. macrumors 6502

chumawumba

$650 is a deal?

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

TheGreenBastard

Yes, brand new from Apple they are $699+ tax.
    This is someone reselling unopened iPhones for a little bit less than retail.

7. macrumors 6502

the A6 chip in the iPhone 5 is way faster than the A5 and A4 before it

Geekbench scores:

A4: 300ish
    A5: 600ish
    A6: 1400ish

huge difference when it comes to opening and using applications.

Also, LTE is 4 to 5 times faster than HSPA+

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

TheGreenBastard

I'm currently using prepaid on my carrier because I travel and use different carriers all over the place. I only pay $25 when I'm home, do you think LTE is more expensive than 3G?

9. macrumors 6502

hmm. im not sure, you may have to check with your carrier. Im using AT&T, where their postpay data plans are the same for both 3G, 4G HSPA+, and 4G LTE are all the same.

If you aren't getting LTE on your new iPhone 5, then it may not be worth the upgrade over the 4S

10. macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

LTE alone is worth the upgrade. and if you sell your phone you end up paying what a subsidized phone would cost. Go for it.

11. r0k
    macrumors 68040

r0k

I agree. I went from a 4 to a 5 and it's a lot better. The 4S had the same camera but LTE definitely makes the 5 worthy of an upgrade from 4S... provided your carrier supports LTE. In the US, only Verizon and AT&T have credible LTE support. Sprint and Tmo are scrambling to roll it out.

When I got my iP5, there was no At&t LTE north of Columbus, Oh. Within 2 months, LTE showed up in the Detroit area and it is faster than most wifi.