Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
I called Verizon to check on something about my account a couple hours ago and told me that I could just preorder the 5S this friday instead of waiting in line next friday and I said to her "are you sure you aren't talking about the 5C" and she told me that yes, both the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 5C are available for preorder this Friday the 13th

Call again and ask someone else....ATT told me it was only the 5C for pre-order per Apple.

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
I do not LIKE the look of the 5S. I want the 5C. I have a 4S. It's a big spec bump even if it's half the storage space (and I have a 32GB iPod touch to solve that issue, not minding carrying around an extra mobile in my handbag). So this time out, I pay $200 insead of usually paying $400 for the top of the line upgrade. I do not currently need the fingerprint sensor or the extra power of the A7 chip although I'm thrilled they've got 64-bit processing on board, I'll catch it with the 6 or 6S. To me this 5C is a very nice upgrade. It's circumstantial, and it's personal preference. 'Nuf said! :)

Couldn't agree more! I hated the 2 tone back and design of the 5 and the 5S is the same. The 5C looks much nicer imo.

--
As for people complaining about 'hon', if you want to see 'iPhone' on the back of your phone then just don't buy a case? I don't like the idea of the case but I'm sure many people will.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
Those who are freaking out over the colors and the "cheap plastic" are apparently oblivious to the history of iMacs, iPods, and iBooks.

If Steve is "rolling in his grave" today over the iPhone 5c then please explain why - because Apple was producing plastic laptops and iMacs PRIOR TO the newer aluminum models. (Short memory??)

Not to mention that the colors of the earlier iMacs and iBooks were quite radical and flashy for computers at that time. Oh yeah, Macs are just toys and aren't to be taken seriously.... so everyone was saying.

Maybe some people had better freshen up on Apple's history of products BEYOND the past 5 or so years. They'd learn a lot about how Apple offered devices with a colorful style AND at different price points. Apple is not cheapening their brand by offering a cheaper phone. If that were true then please explain the entry level iPods, the previous entry level plastic MacBook, the Mac mini, etc. Apple's approach by offering different models is not a change from how they've handled many products in the past.

Many Apple fanboys have constantly ridiculed Android phones for being "cheap plastic" and while conceding that Apple used it in the past excuse this by saying that Apple has moved beyond it to build products of higher quality with better materials like aluminum and glass.

These people now have to eat their own words which is why they lash out.

Once these people calm down they will return to their usual tactic of cherry-picking and reality distortion to make irrational excuses for Apple in order to fulfill their preconception that everything Apple does is right and everything everyone else does is wrong, even if they do the same thing.
We've already started seeing people telling us how Apple's plastic is quality and everyone else's plastic is cheap, and in a few months we'll start seeing people claim that Apple invented the concept of using non-cheap plastic.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I can't imagine the pre-orders being that high for this phone (but they will be haha). I just dont get it...

----------

Many Apple fanboys have constantly ridiculed Android phones for being "cheap plastic" and while conceding that Apple used it in the past excuse this by saying that Apple has moved beyond it to build products of higher quality with better materials like aluminum and glass.

These people now have to eat their own words which is why they lash out.

Once these people calm down they will return to their usual tactic of cherry-picking and reality distortion to make irrational excuses for Apple in order to fulfill their preconception that everything Apple does is right and everything everyone else does is wrong, even if they do the same thing.
We've already started seeing people telling us how Apple's plastic is quality and everyone else's plastic is cheap, and in a few months we'll start seeing people claim that Apple invented the concept of using non-cheap plastic.

I don't like plastic either, but I do agree with what you are saying. Its a bad idea or not needed until Apple does it and of course does it better!

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York
Doesn't have to do with the article. But this was too good not to post. Samsung copying Apple once again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 51

SeniorGato1

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
I'd rather purchase an existing 5 than a 5C. Did anyone knock down the price of the 5? If not I'm sure they'll drop the price by $100 when the 5S is out to clear out remaining inventory.

5C is a joke. It's an iphone 5 with a cheaper case/design.

Furthermore the preorder days are over. iPhone is no longer a cutting edge release and people are more and more content with the older models.

Secondly, last year's iphone release taught me that it may not be the best idea to get the first release shipments. Remember all the dinged up iPhone 5's?

I'll wait about a week after release, then just walk into a store and grab a 5S. It'll be tough giving up my S4's larger screen, but I do miss ios in general.

CarlElvis

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
Doesn't have to do with the article. But this was too good not to post. Samsung copying Apple once again.
Samsung's way of telling consumers,"Wait, don't buy the iphone5S!"

----------

The only reason I can figure as to why we can't preorder a 5S is because Apple needs that footage of people lining up in front of their stores or it'll look like the 5S is a dud.

kissmeflorida

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2013
Wait for the $100 USD price drop instead of pre-order!

No don't pre-order the 5C!

In about a month after poor sales numbers Apple will drop the price $100 USD.

Then they will offer an $100 Itunes gift card to all the people that paid the higher price lol!

Almost every worldwide news outlet and most message boards agree it is overpriced. Apple will have no choice, and you will see a price drop.

Also, they have lower production cost with the plastic shell 5C then if they continued the 5, so it won't hurt their profit margins as much when they do a price drop.

$449 USD off contract or free with contract with the price drop. That's where it should of been in the first place.

Just my thoughts!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I can't imagine the pre-orders being that high for this phone (but they will be haha). I just dont get it...

----------

I don't like plastic either, but I do agree with what you are saying. Its a bad idea or not needed until Apple does it and of course does it better!

Hmm...were these same people complaining about the Nokia Lumia phones? For me the issue isn't plastic per se, but plastic that looks/feels cheap. And unfortunately some companies plastic (Samsung, Acer for example) looks and feels cheap. So far the hands on initial reviews of the 5C are positive (Engadget said it's the most solid polycarbonate build they've ever seen). For me I'll have to see it in person to judge.

----------

Samsung's way of telling consumers,"Wait, don't buy the iphone5S!"

----------

The only reason I can figure as to why we can't preorder a 5S is because Apple needs that footage of people lining up in front of their stores or it'll look like the 5S is a dud.

Why? They did pre orders for the 5.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I think you all underestimate the market that will buy these iPhones. In a years time they will be seen all over High Schools, College Campuses, and along the sidelines of little league games. I will bet money that not only will the 5C sell like hotcakes, but they will outsell the 5S. You can archive this post and hold me to it.

I think you're right. I prefer my iPhone5 but I also prefer my iPad4 over the mini. I think the younger crowd however will love this phone and their parents will like the price better at $100 less.

i5pro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
NNJ
I think the 5c will sell exceptionally well especially if you had a 4/4s or in high school. But for folks who have a 5, i'm not so sure the features in the 5s are worth it.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Also, they have lower production cost with the plastic shell 5C then if they continued the 5, so it won't hurt their profit margins as much when they do a price drop.

It was already reported in the WSJ that Apple's margins on the 5C are 35% compared to 42% for the iPhone 4S. That is why the 5C is priced as it is -- Apple needs to stay in the 35-40% margin area. So, yes, a price cut would definitely make a significant dent in margins.

But I think the 5c is going to be a better seller than you think. It's the new defacto kiddie phone, kind of a "my first phone." On contract it's $99 so not a huge outlay for parents on a family plan.

People who believe it's too expensive think so because they ate the rumors up of a "low cost" iPhone when all the time it was a "lower cost" iPhone. But had Apple priced it less then investors would be complaining that Apple is going for volume at the expense of margins. People will complain no matter what.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I think the 5c will sell exceptionally well especially if you had a 4/4s or in high school. But for folks who have a 5, i'm not so sure the features in the 5s are worth it.

That's kinda the case every generation. And with android, too - galaxy 3 to 4 was about as uneventful as an apple "s" release.

ashmorel

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Hong Kong
For me, the problem is not the plastic case but the target market, Who is it really for?

It would have made more sense if this was an iPhone 5S with plastic coloured backs to give people a choice but not as an iPhone 5. If you buy a Samsung S4 you can buy the coloured cases and people like this choice. Why would you pay almost the same price as an iPhone 5S for the 5C when you could just buy an iPhone 5S and buy a coloured case if you like the colours or you could save a fortune and buy a used or refurbished iPhone 5 and get a coloured case?

I think the share price has dropped because of this. People assumed that the 5C would be a cheaper model for emerging markets as there was no other logical reason for it to exist at all.

I am a huge Apple fan who owns 2 iPads, an iMac and macbook air which I love but ever since the iPhone 4S disappointment, I moved to Samsung and honestly can't see when I will buy another iPhone. I was hoping the 5S would be the one to take me back to Apple but alas it will not be the case.

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Perfect phone for kids in grade school that mommy and daddy pony up for the monthy fees for their iPhone!

Arithon

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
Kent, UK
Of course I mean poorly relative to Apple's usual launches, most companies would kill for 1% of Apple's sales..

Apple have 7% of the world market, Nokia have 14% and Samsung 24%, so no - I don't think they'd kill for a sales loss of that magnitude.

Clearly Apple are blindly holding on to a large profit margin and pretending to themselves it won't impact sales. Which of course, it will. People see a Nokia 520 for £119 and a Nexus 4 for £159 then Apple's base handset is priced at £469 only £30 less than a Samsung Galaxy S4 - their flagship handset! Since they've announced that they're flogging off the remaining iPhone 5 handsets (in the US at least) for $549/$649/$749 (at a profit) they can do it if they chose to.

I've had my iPhone 4S for less than two years, but despite the 64GB handset costing £700 it's now worth only £300 even boxed in mint condition, so it's lost £200 per year, every year in value - it's bled me the cost of a 32GB Nexus 4 every eleven months. How is that "premium"?

I would buy a cheaper iPhone if they WERE cheaper, but even the 5S is still constructed with the 5's rather fragile anodised finish. My brother bought a black iPhone 5 last year and the first two handsets offered were chipped and scratched OUT OF THE BOX in the Apple store! That's just poor. For what they are charging Apple must do better. If I pay premium price (which they're charging) I expect a premium product.

Over the next year, their smartest move would be to phase out the 4S. Drop the price of the 5C by £100 ($150) and change the 5S to have 32G, 64GB and 128GB models (at the current price points) and do something about the fragility of the 5S's finish and ditch those awful 5C cases for something designed by someone who finished school!

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
Looks like a toy.

And that´s what Apple wants it to look like.
But it seems like Apple users don´t like anything new or unexpected these days.
They all want their industrial design boredom although this has been around for more than 3 years now (inlcuding Macs, this Apple design is even older).

Not everyone likes every color but the 5S looks like a device for very old rich people compared to the 5C.
Anyway, both have the wrong pricing this time and Apple is going down slowly.

It´s like back in the 90´s after Apple was a big name in the 80´s.
Looks like their decade is coming to an end.
I saw people switching although a year ago, they wouldn´t take a Android-phone even if it was given to them for free.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Why does someone with a 5 need to upgrade? Do people really need a new phone every year? I just don't get it. I don't buy a new computer or TV or car or appliances every year so why would I need to with a phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.