iPhone 5s accelerometer/gyroscope/compass values incorrect

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tharepairguy, Sep 24, 2013.

1. tharepairguy, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

macrumors member

Mar 28, 2011
    Lined up against my apple box separating my iphone 4 and iphone 5s pointing directly south, here are the readings. I did this because the stainless steel band and/or other parts of the 4 were affecting the compass when lined up against each other. I might go over to a buddies and use his iphone 5 to take pics or video. Lets keep this thread civil and on track. Please present facts only. Trolls need not reply...

There are now quite a few article's about this issue:

Both Compass's set to magnetic north:
    iphone 5s reads: 165s
    iphone 4 reads: 179s <--- Reads correctly compared to the compass in my cessna

Swipe from right to left to get Apples level app:
    iphone 5s reads: -4 degrees
    iphone 4 via iHandy level reads: 0 degrees level
    2 different Johnson levels used as well. 24" and 48". I had to raise the level until the bubble bottomed out in the glass to make the iphone 5s read zero.

Have you tested this? I have contacted apple support and they suggested replacing the phone. At this point, I'm going to wait it out as I can live with this defect until I know the problem has been fixed. I spent 34.99 oh a front and rear film protector that I will have to eat when/if the device gets replaced. OCD does not alloy me to use any device naked. What are your results? good or bad...

If yours it out of spec. I suggest reporting this to apple directly to get this problem resolved quicker. They said that they are monitoring feedback in real-time, at this time :)

Ok so that calibration procedure had no effect on the invalid data from the senors. 7.0.2 update had no positive effect as well. Sensor-Gate is still lurking...

7.0.3 seems to have corrected the problem for a lot of people.
  2. macrumors regular

Aug 27, 2009
  3. macrumors member

Jan 18, 2012
    So people should just keep this problem to themselves since the other thread closed down?
  4. macrumors regular

Aug 27, 2009
    lol no I was actually curious why it closed because I contributed to that thread.
  5. macrumors 65816

Aug 31, 2013
  6. macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2008
    The other thread was shut down because of a certain user or 2 that was derailing it. This is a clear problem affects gameplay for games and apps that use the accelerometer. Xplane for instance the plane drifts to the right big time on my device. Plus or minus 1 is of for allowable tolerances but not 4, 5, or 6 many of us are getting. Don't let someone tell you its OCD and is acceptable its not at least for people who use this function.
  7. macrumors 6502

Sep 22, 2012
    iPhone 5S Gyro issues

I posted this in another thread and a mod immediately closed the thread for some reason unknown to me. Is anyone else's gyro not working correctly on their 5S?

Left iPhone 5S
    Middle iPhone 5
    Right iPhone 5

Also, this is really weird... None of the compasses are reporting the same direction.

Anyone else experiencing this?
  8. macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2013
    Tennessee USA
    As far the compasses all different, are they all set to true north or magnetic?

Mine 5S is off only 0.4*…….
  9. macrumors 6502

Sep 22, 2012
    I have no idea honestly, where is that setting and what is the difference haha
  10. macrumors 65816

Sep 16, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    The compass is off on all phones because you have them all together. The magnetic field from the electronic components will throw it off.
  11. macrumors newbie

Sep 19, 2013
    5S accelerometer is messed up

Mine is 4 degrees off on the tilt function and the compass is also slightly off. Anyone else having this problem?
  12. macrumors 68030

Jul 21, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
  13. macrumors 6502a

Mr. Buzzcut

Jul 25, 2011
    Yep. Just got mine today and same deal with the orientation. I have to lift the corner for it to zero out. This is on a known level surface.
  14. macrumors 6502

Sep 22, 2012
  15. macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2013
    Tennessee USA
    Yup, it must be because mine is of only 0.4*…….
  16. macrumors regular

Jun 10, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    The 5S might actually be more accurate due to the M7, which means the iPhone 5 devices could possibly be showing an incorrect reading. Just a thought.
  17. iBighouse, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

macrumors 6502a

Mar 11, 2012
    I can just visually see that mine is also in error. I guess if could give some numbers to back that up if needed. My 4s was very accurate. This level seems sloppy and loose. It does make me wonder two things:

1. Since the new M7 motion chip has a lot to do with running numbers for rhe gyro, might bad data in from a gyro that's off by significant amounts result in bad numbers on the output side?

2. Is this a software issue and easily fixable, or is this a hardware issue that might not be so easily fixed?

Update: I leveled it against a Stabila smart level. Seems it's off by 4 degrees. That's unacceptable and a significant amount- especially in light of this phone being touted as such a motion device.

Attached Files:

18. macrumors member

Nov 12, 2010
    Would be more valid if there were a leveled level tool in the frame too!
  19. macrumors newbie

Sep 19, 2013
    Because when I place it on a flat surface it's always 4 degrees off

My 4S with ios7 was accurate
  20. macrumors 65816

May 17, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Are you also seeing a jittery/jump effect when you unlock the phone? As per this thread - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1643977

Could be a software/hardware issue with the motion sensors.

I'm also seeing the same thing as you with the gyro being a bit off.
  21. macrumors newbie

Sep 19, 2013
    Yes, as mentioned in my thread it's about 4 degrees off level

I wonder why that other thread got closed. It seems that this is a widespread issue
  22. macrumors 6502a

Mar 11, 2012
    Dunno why it was so suddenly closed. Apparently It went "off the tracks" so let's try to keep this thread on the tracks!

I went to apple.com/feedback and submitted it as a bug item. Maybe if others do likewise we can spur a fix for it!
  23. tharepairguy, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

thread starter macrumors member

Mar 28, 2011
    Don't forget to do your duty and submit feedback to apple if your getting similar problems...
  24. macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2011
    Miami, FL
  25. macrumors 68030

Sep 26, 2007
    Mods will close a duplicate topic, or sometimes merge topics. So if you get locked, search for an existing thread on same subject.